Author Topic: Wet Shaving Brushes...preferences, opinions, personal choices?  (Read 14275 times)

Slynito

Wet Shaving Brushes...preferences, opinions, personal choices?
« on: September 20, 2012, 06:38:31 AM »
There are many shaving brushes available out there for us wet shavers. There are boar hair, badger hair, horse hair and synthetic hair brushes. They range in price from $5 to $200 and up depending on grade of hair, handle material and snob appeal of the brand. What are some opinions and preferences?

8)

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
Re: Wet Shaving Brushes...preferences, opinions, personal choices?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2012, 06:59:27 AM »
I use none. I do not see the use of those.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2012, 07:25:13 AM »
I have a Vulfix 1001. About $25 and it is badger hair. Love it!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2012, 07:26:53 AM »

Paul... you should give one a try.It will definetly enhance your shave routine. The bristles of the brush are a natural exfoliator Also, if you load headSlick onto the brush you will still have plenty in the brush for a second pass of shaving. Start with a cheap one to see if you like it.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2012, 08:00:11 AM »
I use a boar hair brush that I got from a Sally's Beauty Supply store. It was $5 bucks. I know it's not the greatest but it has served me well so far.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2012, 07:00:01 PM »
Hi Paul:  That is what I used to think.  However... when I incorporated a shaving brush in my routine, it boosted my shaving routine to an even higher level.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2012, 09:04:31 PM »
I have a brush that was issued to my father by the US Army during the second world war.  It is getting a little short, but I still use it from time to time.

I recently ordered a  Parker 100% Silvertip Badger Bristle Shaving Brush with Faux Petrified Wood Handle and expect delivery tomorrow.  I'll take a picture of both of them and post it later.

Offline Fourseamer

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »
I have tried many brushes over the years.  Simpson, Shavemac, Vulfix, Rooney, just to name a few.  It really all boils down to personal preference in the end.  Every manufacturer uses different hair weathe badger or boar.  Some use softer tips, some have more backbone (stiffer hair), some pack the hair more dense in the knot, and tons of other variables. 

I cannot imagine shaving my face or head without a brush. It is just meant to be.

My personal favorites on my face and head are:

Saville Row for badger.
Semogue for boar.

Slynito

« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2012, 01:17:41 PM »
I have tried many brushes over the years.  Simpson, Shavemac, Vulfix, Rooney, just to name a few.  It really all boils down to personal preference in the end.  Every manufacturer uses different hair weathe badger or boar.  Some use softer tips, some have more backbone (stiffer hair), some pack the hair more dense in the knot, and tons of other variables. 

I cannot imagine shaving my face or head without a brush. It is just meant to be.

My personal favorites on my face and head are:

Saville Row for badger.
Semogue for boar.

Welcome to the forum, enjoy. And thank you for your valued insight.  O0

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2012, 02:13:16 PM »
I'm not sure what type of brush I use, it cost me about 5 bucks. But what I can say is that it enhanced my shaving expierence. A big plus for using one is definetely the fact that there's always enough lather for second, third passes or even for shaving your face by adding just a few drops of water.

theman

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2012, 03:41:17 PM »
Yes indeed, a good brush, I prefer badger, good warm lather.  Cup of coffee and a great shave !  Sweet ! ;)  I also at times take a hot washcloth and slap it on the ole face , getting the pores clean, etc..  And then shave.  Long as ya don't fall asleep and off the chair  ;D.

Enjoy your shave and take your time.  The rest of the day will take the rest.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: December 01, 2012, 03:46:10 AM »
I like boar hair brushes.  Badger doesn't have enough backbone for me.  Omega and Semogue are my favourites but I also have a big and cheap one from Turkey which is fantastic too.  I have a Vie long horsehair which is still scratchy despite being used many, many times.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #12 on: December 01, 2012, 08:12:42 AM »
I started out using a shaving brush that I bought at Walmart. It works okay. I hope to upgrade to a better quality brush soon.
I agree that using a brush enhances the shaving experience and as Mike said it helps to exfoliate the head. The best part is that it leaves you enough lather for a second pass which I always do.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2012, 09:16:17 AM »
I started with a very inexpensive boar brush, and then bought a Parker Silvertip Badger.  The Parker is OK, but I since have done more research and have found sources for better, less expensive options. 
I am presently rotating between
Original Boar
Parker Silvertip
Whipped Dog Slivertip in a custom pottery handle.
WhippedDog Black Badger knot in Guayacan  handle that I made myself
A vintage Ever-Ready 100T brush with its original Boar handle.

and

I just ordered 2 different knots from The Golden Nib that I will be putting into other vintage handles that I am restoring.  I still want to acquire a quality synthetic and  horse hair brushes.

Each brush is different and has its own pros and cons.  I am learning how best to use each one.

Having relearned the art of making good lather I can not imagine returning to aerosol cans

Offline tartanraven

• Haggis Hunter
  • Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2013, 05:17:51 PM »
I prefer English made super badger brushes.  I have a few Kents that are my favourites.  I have yet to see the advantage of silvertip brushes if I'm honest.  Just make sure to "bloom" the bristles before hanging to dry.
Deus Meus Et Omnia