Author Topic: HeadBlade ATX Video Review  (Read 37412 times)

Offline antoniom

• Sly
Re: HeadBlade ATX Video Review
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 06:50:51 PM »
nice review but what about the face

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 07:55:46 PM »
Thanks for reviewing it Tyler, when I get some spare cash I am definitely going to get my hands on one of these!

Offline Cris

• Team Sly
  • Sly
  • Intermittently Bald By Choice
« Reply #17 on: September 16, 2012, 02:11:33 PM »
I was extremely disappointed with the headblade sport which I found extremely unprecise and not providing a deep shave as I would expected.
Now, with this new model things might change.
If people will find ATX a great advance maybe I'll give it a try ;)

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #18 on: September 16, 2012, 05:20:36 PM »
I was extremely disappointed with the headblade sport which I found extremely unprecise and not providing a deep shave as I would expected.

I agree with you Cris.  I couldn't bring myself to give the HB sport more than one try and I'm also finding it difficult to throw it out (thinking there must be something wrong with me).  The ATX looks like a much better design but I can't jump in yet until more people comment on it.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 05:41:30 PM »

The ATX site says Its good for leg shaving too . !    O0   O0   .

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #20 on: September 17, 2012, 11:52:45 AM »
I'll see what I can do   ;)

Nice review Tyler - Thanks!! Any chance of getting a video of an actual shave with the ATX?

Tyler, you're off the hook for this I guess.  ;)
<a href="http://www.youtube.com/v/nEeJTZmuVFM?rel=0" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer" class="bbc_link bbc_flash_disabled new_win">http://www.youtube.com/v/nEeJTZmuVFM?rel=0</a>
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline skram

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: September 17, 2012, 12:03:41 PM »
Doug, thanks for posting the demo - love Jack's deadpan delivery.

If I remember correctly, he used the opposite order in his sport demo (front to back then back to front).

Did I see correctly that while doing the front to back portion, about halfway through, he doesn't have the wheels on his head?

Hope my ATX gets here soon for my own comparison.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #22 on: September 17, 2012, 12:11:04 PM »
Doug, thanks for posting the demo - love Jack's deadpan delivery.

If I remember correctly, he used the opposite order in his sport demo (front to back then back to front).

Did I see correctly that while doing the front to back portion, about halfway through, he doesn't have the wheels on his head?

Hope my ATX gets here soon for my own comparison.

I love his delivery as well! I wish that they didn't speed the video up in some sections.

As to your question about the wheels - I'm not sure. He was doing it so quickly that I couldn't tell. My guess is that they did stay in touch with his until he was finishing each pass and then they started to break contact with this head as he was getting ready for the next swipe.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline headblade

• Sly Guy in Training
    • HeadBlade
« Reply #23 on: September 17, 2012, 12:31:10 PM »
We've had a few questions, and I see a couple posts, about how some people are getting a 'patchy' shave as compared with the complete clean shave from the Sport or S4.  It has to do with getting the pressure correct and finding the 'sweet spot' of the blade when shaving.  With the Sport and S4, the key is no pressure and the blade will pivot (like a see-saw) and will always be at the proper cutting angle.  As we've always stressed with the Sport and S4; no pressure on the blade!!

With the ATX it is different because, by having a forward facing pivot, and the blade in the back, you have to get the blade flush on the head, so you will need some pressure.  If you use to little, or too much, the blade will not be flat on the surface.  With the pivot on the ATX, if you  use too much pressure, the front guard will be pressed on the skin and actually lift, or pivot, the blade OFF your scalp, so  you won't get a clean shave, but again, you will not nick yourself either.

For longtime HeadBladers this will feel a bit strange.  It took me about two weeks to get completely comfortable with the early ATX prototypes last year...but now I prefer the ATX over any previous HeadBlade; mostly because I can shave my face and it's a much better blade.  And the rubber wheels are awesome!

Some existing HeadBladers may still prefer the Sport, and we spent a long time working the HB4 and HB6 adapter so the new blades are compatible with any previous HeadBlade!

For new HeadBladers the ATX is a lot more intuitive and an easier switch from a conventional razor.

We are trying to offer more choices for our existing customers while offering an easier entry into the HeadBlade family.  Some people never accepted, or adjusted, to the original 'blade first' design and stayed with a conventional handle.  The new blade technology, and forward facing pivot,  finally allowed us to design a razor with the blade on the back while retaining our commitment to providing the best headshaving equipment available.

If you've tried the ATX, and have experienced and patchy shaves, remember that there is a 'sweet spot' and even in Jacks' demo, he does lift the wheels towards the end of his stroke.  Personally I keep the wheels down the entire shave, but the new design is a lot more forgiving and easier to customize the shave for your own scalp.  So you can lift the wheels and put some pressure on the blade if that works best for you.

Hope this helps.  As always feel free to send me a note via the HeadBlade site.

Todd
HeadBlade

Offline Cris

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #24 on: September 17, 2012, 06:24:50 PM »

I agree with you Cris.  I couldn't bring myself to give the HB sport more than one try and I'm also finding it difficult to throw it out (thinking there must be something wrong with me).  The ATX looks like a much better design but I can't jump in yet until more people comment on it.
I won't give 'em one penny anymore, until I'm sure that this new formulation is ok.
But i will not read the placebo type reviews.
I'm only going to give credit to smart, logic and not marketing-like enthusiastic celebrations.
I wasn't born yesterday and I know how the (commercial) world goes...
Fortunately I work in the Advertising businness, and I recognize the "smell" miles away.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2012, 03:39:17 AM by Cris »

Offline houlejames

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #25 on: September 17, 2012, 06:26:04 PM »
I used the ATX for the first time today with the 4 blades. Have been using the headblade sport for a little over a year with the 3 blades. Didn't seem like much difference to me. The shave was good and didn't have any trouble finding the sweet spot. No problem finding the correct pressure and no patchy spots. Had a little over two days growth and did my usual two pass, (wtg and atg) shave with baby butt smooth results. I used an alum block after the shave and if there are any nicks you can feel a stinging sensation, and I had none.  The ATX feels a little clunky, (bigger), and the 4 blades make it feel different than the sport but I think it will be easy to get used, and I really like the wheels first technique. A few times with the sport the wheels would lift up and the blades would dig in. I don't think that is possible with the wheels first configuration and the spring tension on the blades is much better than just the pivot. The only regret is purchasing the six blade cartridges with the ATX  as the four blades will probably be better for me. In a few days I'm going to try one of my HB three blade cartridges and see how it does. With the sport I tried the two blade atra and sensor but seemed to get nicks alot easier, so I don't know how the 3 blade headblade cartridges will do with the ATX. But so far no complaints and the ATX seems to be and improvement over the sport. Only shaved my head, haven't tried my face as I am happy with the twin blade sensor excel for face shaves. But I think you have a winner with the ATX, and it seems to be a big improvement over the sport.

Offline Cris

• Team Sly
  • Sly
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2012, 02:43:59 PM »
Didn't seem like much difference to me.
That's all I need to know.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2012, 08:28:41 AM »
I posted a picture of the ATX online. A buddy asked if it was a new zamboni machine?

I said, Yes. It smooths your head just like a zamboni machine smooths your ice rink.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #28 on: September 22, 2012, 08:48:18 AM »
Order submitted! I cannot wait to get the ATX in my hand!!! O0

Todd Greene is the man. He never lets me down and knows how to REALLY run an American Company. Customer service IS what keeps them coming back!

Gotta agree there mate, it's fantastic.

Offline FR8TRAIN

• Sly Bureau
  • Go ahead, rub it!
    • Facebook
« Reply #29 on: September 26, 2012, 12:36:55 PM »
Ok guys. I got my  HB ATX about a week ago so, I will give my review of it here today.

I have been a die hard HB user since I started scraping my pate back in May 2008 and absolutely LOVE the shave I get using the HB with Sensor blades. I have tried HB Triples, Doubles, Atra and all of the knock offs but, only the Sensor gives me the closest shave. O0

The HB ATX flipped my head shaving routine around, figuratively, by making the shaving stroke a pull instead of a push motion; something that took me a few times to master. The HB ATX came with 2 HB4 Blades; I'm not a fan of cartridges containing more than 2 blades, but I digress. I tried these new blades for 3 days and although they seemed to provide me with an adequate shave, I decided to experiment and replace the new springy adapter with one that would accept a Sensor blade. My experiment was successful and I have been getting the closest shave ever since.

Although I'm still getting use to the pulling motion; habits are hard to break, I have been using the HB ATX ever since with great results.

Since I travel the US for work, I don't think I'll take the ATX on the road with me but opt for my trusty Sport w/Sensor blades for those trips.

FR8TRAIN
Tis better to have a bald head than no head at all.

Enter your email address: