Author Topic: Turning around.......  (Read 9479 times)

Offline Viking

• Sly
  • The artist formally known as Gearhead.......
Re: Turning around.......
« Reply #15 on: September 15, 2012, 04:43:49 AM »
Thanks guys, it's a good point about finishing a plate, growing up as a kid we're allways told to finish your plate. I've really paid attention to portion sizing as before we'd make a meal that'd feed 4 and eat it just the 2 of us, usually with a good load going in the bin. I've bought a load of takeaway style containers so I'm still cooking for 4 but it's making us two meals instead.

How often do you recommend eating, I've read reading more small meals more often is adviseable, at the moment i've been eating very little until the evening meal.

I bought myself a weight bench to go with the exercise bike so I've got my own little "mini" gym going on with a nice big amp and speakers!!

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: September 15, 2012, 05:12:55 AM »
If you go the small meal route, I would say probably about every 2-3 hours......Believe it or not, breakfast, IMO should be your heaviest meal of the day, but as was said earlier, you should not eat at least three hours prior to going to bed (some people may be able to get away with only two). The average adult male consumes about 2000-2300 calories per day, but my doctor says that non-gym rats should try to cap off their calorie intake at 1800....I cheat a little on this by drinking diet sodas when I drink them, and also don't add salt to your food...just a couple of small steps...Most importantly, don't look for overnight success...that's where many people go wrong.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #17 on: September 15, 2012, 07:36:11 AM »
eat peanut butter (alone or mixed in with chocolate, etc.) to help curb my appetite.

That is an interesting tip! I might put that one in the bank.

I bought myself a weight bench to go with the exercise bike so I've got my own little "mini" gym going on with a nice big amp and speakers!!

Nice, sounds like your mini gym is coming along nicely!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: September 15, 2012, 07:19:41 PM »
SlySirHarry, breakfast doesn't have to be the biggest meal, but it should be protein-rich since proteins pack a lot of energy and burn more slowly.  Most American breakfasts are carb-rich, actually very fast burning carbs like processed cereals, white bread, bagels.  Slower burning carbs like fruit and whole grains are better. 

Offline Viking

• Sly
« Reply #19 on: September 16, 2012, 02:59:37 AM »
Fortunatly I've discovered porridge with water, allways sounded horrible so previously I've only ever eaten it with milk but it's actually real nice so a nice bowl of that and some fruit it is!!

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #20 on: September 16, 2012, 05:02:53 AM »
I weigh 17 stone but I'm not exactly fat, I want to get to 14 stone. I know how to but I have zero motivation. I also like food to much :(

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #21 on: September 16, 2012, 06:29:34 AM »
You can still enjoy food and lose weight. I eat whatever I want, I just don't want junk food anymore I guess haha. Healthy food just tastes so much better!

Offline Viking

• Sly
« Reply #22 on: September 16, 2012, 08:19:50 AM »
I started eating healthy in August and dropped about a stone and more importantly just felt more energised when I woke up in the morning and less sluggish. Since I've been on holiday from work the last 2 weeks I've slipped back into some bad habbits and it has really woken me up again to getting back on the healthy train as my body feels like it's gone crap again.

I guess you are what you eat, you eat nice fresh, low fat healthy meals then you will feel better than if you eat greasy heavy no good meals. It is a great feeling when your body is actually craving for something fresh.

Motivation is the killer, I lost count how many times I told myself "right, I'll start being good tomorrow / after I have this take away / the beginning of next month / new years day / after my birthday.....etc......" in reality you just have to stop right there and then or else you never will. Go get a big food shop in also, it's all to easy to get in from a bad day at work a bit late and go "sod it, i'll just call up a pizza", if you have food that can be made up quick then i found I'll do it.

Try and see it as a better way of life, not just a diet or fad, essentially eat less and burn more and you will loose weight and feel better in general. Don't deny yourself anything, just really really cut back, I was probably eating good maybe 10-20% of the time, if I can change that to 80-90% of the time it'll make one hell of a difference. Yeah there will be nights i'll go and sink a load of beers or go out to a restaurant and blow out but there is no harm in that as long as it's once in a while rather than once every few days. Banning yourself from everything bad for you will just lead to failure, the more you say "no beer" or "no pizza" the more you'll hate yourself for denying yourself of it. I also found that after a month of living healthy it makes bad stuff taste real nice and you'll appreciate the flavours more, that take away curry will taste amazing rather than the same as it did when your orderd it 2 days earlier and last week. Most importantly, if you fall off the wagon, don't beat yourself up and throw in the towel, jump straight back on it and use it as motivator.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #23 on: September 16, 2012, 09:31:05 AM »
There's a book I have that I can't recommend highly enough. "you are your own gym: the bible of body weight exercises.". I suggest taking a look at that, or even cheaper, get the app for Android or the Apple thing.  The app is a couple of quid and has program's you can follow, record what you've done, with videos showing the correct way for each exercise.  Could be the best app you ever buy!

Offline Viking

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2012, 10:11:41 AM »
I'll take a look at that, thanks!

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2012, 12:14:04 PM »
I'm thinking of going on a raw Food diet just to shred abit of weight. It will consist of eating vegetables, abit of fruit and some protein. Staying off the carbs and only drinking water.

Offline Viking

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2012, 01:09:49 PM »
Water is a good idea, or no added sugar squash is good if you get bored of the council pop!

Fortunatly for me I'm not really into carbs, never been a big fan of potatos, rice, pasta even bread really so cutting them hasn't been too bad for me. Biggest problem I've had is staying full, with portion sizes dropping a fair bit and keeping away from rice, pasta etc.... it's finding something to replace that bulk. Been eating a load of veg, but again you have to be careful as they all add up.

Dry fried (just straight in a hot non stick pan, no fat) courgette, peppers and aubergines have become a favourate in our household!!

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #27 on: September 17, 2012, 02:26:05 AM »
We eat a lot of stir fries in my house or salads. and a lot of Kangaroo, (fun fact: Australia is the only country to eat the animals on it's coat of arms/national emblem), Kangaroo is probably my favourite meat, it is like a really lean, gamey version of beef, I guess, but tastes awesome, as long as you cook it right (rare-medium rare). Although we still also eat at least 1 rice and 1 pasta dish a week, but I am not too fussed about that, I have finally taught mum to buy wholegrain pastas :D

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #28 on: September 17, 2012, 07:32:33 AM »
We eat a lot of stir fries in my house or salads. and a lot of Kangaroo, (fun fact: Australia is the only country to eat the animals on it's coat of arms/national emblem), Kangaroo is probably my favourite meat, it is like a really lean, gamey version of beef, I guess, but tastes awesome, as long as you cook it right (rare-medium rare).

Benjamin Franklin suggested that the united States adopt the turkey instead of the bald eagle as its national symbol.  Had that happened, every November when Americans sit down to Thanksgiving dinner, we would be eating our national symbol!  Just some food for thought!