Author Topic: Neti Pot  (Read 6799 times)

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Neti Pot
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2012, 12:40:29 PM »
My family also uses the Neti Pot when we're congested...works wonders!

Here's a link to the --> Neti Pot <--- on Amazon.com
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2012, 01:45:16 PM »
As to the tap versus distilled water issue, realize that tap water from a municipal water system is treated to kill bacteria and is tested for e.coli, one of the most resistant bacteria.  I would have no concern about using it in a Neti pot
There are documented cases of parasites infecting Neti Pot users even with treated water. Distilled water is 88 cents a gallon -- why take the risk?

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: Re: Neti Pot
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2012, 06:21:20 PM »
Bear, didn't know that!  Time to switch to distilled water.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline alaskandave

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2012, 04:10:33 AM »
I like how you can adjust the pressure with the bottle rather than the neti pot. I feel I get a better flush of my sinus. I heard of someone that used regular tap water and got a brain infection and ended up passing away crazy. Always Distilled
AlaskanDave

Offline justtom

• ~BALD BY CHOICE~
  • Sly
  • "THE MORE HAIR I SHAVE THE MORE HEAD I GET"
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2012, 09:00:02 AM »
Thanks for all your input Guys, I am in Total agreement with you all that it KICKS ASS and most importantly DO NOT USE TAP WATER in your Neti. Tap water contains trace amounts of bacteria and protozoa, which is usually not a problem when you drink the water because your stomach acid does its job. But, when you are mainlining those organisms into your nasal passages, exceptionally bad outcomes can result.
If you do use tap water, make sure you’ve boiled it for several minutes to kill whatever might be lurking in there.  Better yet, only use sterilized or distilled water. Happy irrigating guys with that Netti pot!
Just ordered this one.

Some info on the only two cases of death but still be safe.http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-504763_162-57499285-10391704/tap-water-in-neti-pots-behind-two-brain-eating-amoeba-deaths-in-2011-investigation-finds/
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:03:42 AM by justtom »

Slynito

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2012, 08:14:46 AM »
All this is good info. I've seen them around for awhile...wonder if I should wear a PFD, hummmm?