Author Topic: negative reactions from others...i think it looks ok...  (Read 3583 times)

Offline burlyman

• Learning the way of Sly
negative reactions from others...i think it looks ok...
« on: May 23, 2007, 06:12:44 PM »
i have had a receding hair line since i was 19-20(mostly in the temples area). i am 24 now. last summer i buzzed it at a #2 and i thought it looked ok but i received alot of negative reactions from family and friends. currently i have the short spikey messy look. ive told some friends and family that i would like to buzz it agian for the summer but they say it looks better longer. i feel it looks better short. please post any advice. thank you!

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
Re: negative reactions from others...i think it looks ok...
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2007, 06:21:55 PM »
I have to say, and I think others will agree, that you have to do things for you when it comes to how you look.  If not, it will be hard for you to be most confident when you want and need to be.  Your friends and family may not like it initially, but when they see how much more confident it makes you, I'm sure they'll at least understand why you did it, if not grow to like it themselves.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Tom McGarry.

• SBG Rules !!!
  • Sly Bureau
  • I LOVE BEING AN SBG!!!!
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2007, 06:29:50 PM »
I would think that if you only kept it long because that's what a few others wanted to make them happy, and all the while you're wanting it buzzed, and that would make you happy. Not to mention always haveing that thought in the back of your mind ( I wonder if anyone else notices my thinning hair, or I wonder if they are stareing at my recieding hair line) You'll probably be miserable. But if you do what makes you happy then you will probably feel much better about yourself and way more confident. So I would say do what ever makes you happy. And if that means letting someone else make your desisions for you then let it grow! But if you are a leader and chose to follow you own path in life then buzz it if that will make you happy.
That's my two cents.
Tom.
AKA: The Original Canadian HeadBlader

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2007, 07:02:44 PM »
Have to agree with Tyler and Tom, burley.  You are the person who has to go out in public and you need to be comfortable with you.  Confidence and self esteem are hard to come by when you are always worried about your personal appearance.  If you read the posts here, you will see that every sly guy and gal is very comfortable with how they look and who they are.  You'll also read that many of us did not have support at first for shaving, but the people who care about us the most, family and friends, came around because they knew it made us happy.  You have to do what is good for you.  Don't tell anyone first, just do it, it is after all your hair and your life.
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2007, 10:00:28 PM »
I agree with everyone here. You have to do with what makes you happy. If I listened to my critics, I would probalby have 3 inches of hair on my head caked in gel and still doing what others wanted. For me buzzing my hair and then eventually shaving, made me feel stronger, more confident, and liberated. I could do my own thing and be happy with it. And strangely, I think that confidence spills over into other parts of my life. And it's just hair. (or was just hair  ^-^)

It's important to make your own decisions, take pride in it, and live your life. 

Offline blondeguy

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2007, 10:39:58 PM »
What you often find when you shave your head is that people who first meet you like your look and can't picture you with hair, but those who have known you a long time might have a period of adjustment.  I can't picture hair on any of the guys here because I haven't seen them with any.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2007, 11:18:19 PM »
Burlyman, I'm sorry, but I forgot to say "welcome to Sly Bald Guys!"  So, welcome to Sly Bald Guys!

Razorhead, sweet new pic bro!
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2007, 08:33:06 PM »
Thanks Tyler. The noggin' is looking pretty good if i dare say so myself.

Offline David

• the v-train is coming through
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • being sly flying high
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2007, 11:57:37 PM »
my advice: do what makes you happy, and don't base decisions on others opinions over your own.
bald for life