Author Topic: Neck line is the bain of my life! How do you guys do it?  (Read 3149 times)

Offline obstacle1

• Sly Guy in Training
Neck line is the bain of my life! How do you guys do it?
« on: August 12, 2012, 02:57:45 PM »
I wet shave my head, and neck, but keep a beard there. It suits me (beard is about a number 4 on my beard trimmer).

However, after all these years I can never seem to get my neck line to look right. I see so many guys around who manage to have a flawless line all around, yet it looks natural.

For some reason I cant master it, anyone got any tips?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Neck line is the bain of my life! How do you guys do it?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2012, 03:00:47 PM »
At a four I would think the issue isn't shaving a neckline, but using a trimmer at about a 1, and, IMO, avoiding to high a neckline.  I aim for the "line" established where my neck meets the back of the jaw. 

Offline obstacle1

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2012, 03:07:41 PM »
I find it impossible to get a clean line with a beard trimmer though, hence a wet shave...and I never know quite where to put the line and what 'shape' it should be. Im guessing it should look like a ^when tilting my head back, but it looks more like a semi circle..

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2012, 03:19:48 PM »
I keep mine in the shape of a semicircle sometimes with an occasional assist from a barber.....When I do shape it up, I just simply apply a finger full of soap/shaving cream across where the neckline should be and shave downward with small strokes.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2012, 03:23:11 PM »
I find it impossible to get a clean line with a beard trimmer though, hence a wet shave...and I never know quite where to put the line and what 'shape' it should be. Im guessing it should look like a ^when tilting my head back, but it looks more like a semi circle..
Think about it--a geometrically "clean" line really isn't necessary when the line shouldn't be really visible in the first place, even at a #4--it's rather hidden behind the beard.  I think it's more important to blend the length back down to near the skin level rather than create a line with 1/2" hairs on one side & bare shaved skin on the other--may just be a personal preference.  It makes sense with a tightly defined goat, but not a full beard or larger goat. 

Slynito

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2012, 05:17:03 PM »
I cut a line about an inch or two under the jaw bone...beard down on the neck is irritating to me.

@Sir Harry...btw I ordered one of those upscale, made in US, "Adis" trimmers that you hyped about a year ago...it should be a nice change from my >20 year old Wahl.

O0