Author Topic: After 6 years, I STILL can't get an irritation-free shave at the nape of my neck  (Read 3854 times)

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
That area on the back of the head, at the nape of the neck, is the one thing still giving me problems after all this time. It has definitely become a less pronounced problem from what it was in the beginning, but it has never cleared up completely. I see some pictures of guys on here with absolutely flawless necks and I want that for me! :Xo!

Back when I first started shaving, it was really bad. Full blown whiteheads, bumps, redness, all of that. There was even a good stretch where I would actuallly only shave that area with the grain because I did not know how to stop the bumps. Well as my shaving routine has evolved, I guess I've figured out how to keep the whiteheads and bumps at bay. I now shave that area against the grain, as I do the rest of my head. I use a HeadBlade Sport with a Sensor3 triple blade attached to it, HeadSlick shaving cream, and Nivea for Men Extreme Comfort Post Shave Balm (when I can find it). I always scrub down with HeadShed before every shave and always finish off with a cold water rinse over my head for several seconds. I do all of this in the shower. I pat my head dry with a towel afterwards, never rubbing it. And the best I result I can get from all of this is a dull, rash-looking irritation. No whiteheads or bumps really, just a dark redness. Kind of spotty looking.

I just can't overcome this problem. Has anyone here ever had this issue previously and managed to successfully get rid of it? I just want a flawless head. Is that so much to ask? :-\
« Last Edit: July 30, 2012, 01:29:21 AM by cuzzin »

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Hello there Cuzzin

Firstly I don't think you should be exfoliating every day.  Use the Head Shed no more than twice a week as daily exfoliation is not good for your skin.

Secondly, try using a product called "Bump patrol" for seven days in a row.

If that does not work, see a dermatologist.

Good luck, and welcome to SBG...
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
This is the very reason that I shave every other day, rather than every day.

Offline MikeM

• Sly
  • With two ears and 50 pounds of kid.
I just can't overcome this problem. Has anyone here ever had this issue previously and managed to successfully get rid of it?

Yes, to a degree. What worked for me was to *stop* using any bump-specific product or or ingrown hair or aftershave healer or whatnot, and just moisturize the area at least twice a day with a really good facial moisturizer. (I shave every other day, against the grain.) Note that it could take several weeks or more for this area to heal. You don't need a ton of moisturizer either.

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
I just can't overcome this problem. Has anyone here ever had this issue previously and managed to successfully get rid of it?

Yes, to a degree. What worked for me was to *stop* using any bump-specific product or or ingrown hair or aftershave healer or whatnot, and just moisturize the area at least twice a day with a really good facial moisturizer. (I shave every other day, against the grain.) Note that it could take several weeks or more for this area to heal. You don't need a ton of moisturizer either.

Great advice, I agree.
I just wanted to add that also applying a bit of virgin coconut oil to the area now and then may help as well. It's great for skin.
Good luck!
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline antoniom

• Sly
I dot not worry about irritation I do not use any specific I just wash my neck along with the rest of my body in the shower of course and shampoo my dome I do have razor bumps in the back of my head my only from barbers not cleaning their clippers properly cutting my hair to close in the back of my head when I had hair on my head and but learned to embrace it with my dome so that's that but nothing specific to rid of them I just never bothered with any of that got a few nicks from shaving like everyone else besides my skin condition its all good maybe a trip to the dermatologist may help or some skin clearing facial cleanser.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Welcome, cuzzin! (cool screen name)....Another thing....Make sure that you wash your pillowcases, the dirt/sweat may be getting into your pores....Also, NEVER try to pick at bumps with bare fingernails....recipe for disaster there...I'm not an everyday shaver either, and I find when I grow a little fuzz (3-4 days between them) the razor grabs the hair a little better leaving it a little cleaner. Another suggestion. Invest in a shaving brush and bowl. My shaves last a good three days before any fuzz actually shows (though I can usually feel it by the second day). Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline wonderer

• Super Sly
I have same problem with my neck area and I don't think that anything would help for me except mechanic beard shaver  :( or else i get irritation or Sweeney Todd situation  :-\

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
Hi Cuzzin,

In the six years that you have been shaving your head and getting irritation on the nape of your neck, have you always used a multi-blade cartridge?  While the three blades do guarantee a close shave, that system really doesn't work for everyone's skin.  You have gotten some excellent responses and advice here and I would like to suggest that you switch to a single blade disposable razor. 

Personally, I get BBS head shaves from a Bump Fighter razor, and I shave against the grain every other day.  No daily exfoliation and no extremely hot water.  Just mild soap in the shower.  You skin can take pretty good care of itself with little more than water.

Good luck to you.

Offline cuzzin

• Sly Jr.
Thanks for the responses. I've attached a picture of the back of my neck so y'all can get a better idea of the problem (though I feel like the picture underplays the issue). Again, it's not necessarily a bump problem. Yes, it started out that way when I first started shaving, but now it's just a mild red irritation.

I don't think you should be exfoliating every day.  Use the Head Shed no more than twice a week as daily exfoliation is not good for your skin.
I don't necessarily exfoliate every day because I haven't been as good about shaving every day lately as I used to be. But I do exfoliate before every shave, whether it be my face or my head. It just seems like a good way to clean the skin and scrub away the dead skin before a shave.

What worked for me was to *stop* using any bump-specific product or or ingrown hair or aftershave healer or whatnot, and just moisturize the area at least twice a day with a really good facial moisturizer.
I've always been paranoid that using any anti-acne or anti-bump product will only bring the problem worse once you stop using it. It's their way of getting you to continue to buy their product[/conspiracy theory]. Back when I used acne wash on my face, I had more breakouts than I do now, now that I've stopped using anything except for a regular, non-acne-specific face wash. The moisturizer idea could be something worth looking into I suppose. I wipe my head down with a damp paper towel a few times a day, but that's about it.

Great advice, I agree.
I just wanted to add that also applying a bit of virgin coconut oil to the area now and then may help as well. It's great for skin.
Coconut oil, eh? I might have to give that a shot.

Make sure that you wash your pillowcases, the dirt/sweat may be getting into your pores
You know, I actually could be better about how often I wash my cases and sheets. I am going to start being more diligent about that, thanks.

In the six years that you have been shaving your head and getting irritation on the nape of your neck, have you always used a multi-blade cartridge?  While the three blades do guarantee a close shave, that system really doesn't work for everyone's skin.  You have gotten some excellent responses and advice here and I would like to suggest that you switch to a single blade disposable razor.
Yep, for as long as I've been shaving, except for maybe a short period in the beginning, when I was trying out some two-blade razors on my HeadBlade, I've used triple blade razor cartridges. From what I remember about the two-blade razors, they weren't too kind on my head. I settled on Sensor3s because they seemed to be the best razor that I found that were adaptable to my HeadBlade, though I admit I didn't try them all. I like a really close, smooth shave, and if I'm going to have to make more passes over any given area anyway, due to the single blade, I can't think that there would be too much advantage to this.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2012, 01:46:42 AM by cuzzin »

Enter your email address: