Author Topic: Shower mirror  (Read 2045 times)

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
Shower mirror
« on: May 30, 2012, 09:16:04 PM »
What's the best option for this that doesn't involve drilling a screw into the tile or gluing a mirror to it?
I have a shower mirror by better living (I think) it seems to stay up for a few weeks but then falls off. I was just wondering if there are any better options?

"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
Re: Shower mirror
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2012, 09:34:30 PM »
Somewhere on this site there was a recommendation for the Toiletree Fogless Shower Mirror ( http://toilettreeproducts.com/category/store/shower-mirrors/ )

It comes with a tube of silicon to glue it to the tile, but it is reportedly removable and reinstallable. My first attempt didn't hold (I suspect either the tile wasn't clean enough or the silicone was somehow at fault). So I got a different tube of silicone at the hardware store and it's on the wall just fine.

The operating principle is that you fill a reservoir behind the mirror with hot water which keeps the mirror surface warm enough that moisture from the shower will not condense on it. That seems to work just fine - but I find I don't have to bother with that. Mine doesn't fog much - which may be that my shower isn't hot enough or that the "resting" temperature in the bathroom prior to showering isn't cold enough to promote condensation. I'm not complaining as it eliminates one step. And I don't use the integrated LED lights - at least not yet because it's plenty bright (from sunlight) when I shower. Perhaps when the mornings are darker they will be useful.

The mirror itself is a coated plastic, so no worries about it falling and breaking. I'm quite satisfied with it. I got mine at Amazon - free shipping.

Overall I'm very pleased with the product and particularly enjoy moving the whole shaving experience into the shower.

"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 04:32:13 AM »
Here's what I do with a standard mirror. It has a large plastic hook as a handle that I can hang on a fixture in the shower. 

While the mirror will normally fog,  I lather up with bath soap and apply this lather to the face of the mirror. Then rinse with warm water.  Now the mirror does not fog any more. Do this each day during the shower. Takes just a moment. Works sufficiently.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 11:39:34 AM »
Thanks for the tip Mr Zed. I will try your trick. I have been looking for something to rub on the mirror to stop the fogging up. Has any one else got any tips in this area? The fogging up mirror is a bit of a hassle for me.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline briancl

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 12:56:12 PM »
i've been using this ace fogless for quite a few years.
http://www.amazon.com/Ace-Men-Fogless-Shower-Mirror/dp/B0019CU2GU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1340045705&sr=8-1&keywords=ace+fogless

it's great for travel, but the only drawback is the suction cups do come loose, so i typically just remove the suction cups after each shower and just reapply next shower.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2012, 08:41:30 AM »
This morning was a warm sunny winters day, I left the windows open in the bathroom, no mist on my basin window. I guess I will just have to bear with the mist during the winter months. 

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2012, 04:58:47 PM »
What I do before turning the shower head on is I put the mirror in the running water and it stays relatively fogfree the rest of the time.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »
The thing is I shave at the sink, not in the shower.

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
« Reply #8 on: July 29, 2012, 02:15:53 PM »
In the 70's I saw a TV special on Ray Charles.  One segment showed him shaving with a DE.  I thought ..if he can do it without a mirror so can I....

I took the mirror out of my shower and have never used one since.

Enter your email address: