Author Topic: Best blades for DE razor  (Read 6434 times)

Offline valldo

• Sly
Best blades for DE razor
« on: November 19, 2012, 03:37:25 PM »
I was at my dad's house over the weekend and we went thru his shaving arsenal which he has compiled in over 40 years. We had a great time, I got to see shaving creams I had never heard about, handle razors made from stainless steel but oxidated to the point that you could no longer tell which make it was.
But what caught my attention was a really old but beautiful Merkur DE razor. Thick handle, very heavy and seems to be fully functional. Right next to it was a small box of Merkur blades, from what I can see they should be ok, but being that old...hmmm.....don't know.
Thing is, I have been intrigued for a long time about shaving my head with a DE razor....now finally I have one, old but pretty, even some blades. I'll try those but I would like to know basically two things:

- What is your experience /which blades can you recommend. I really want to use the best blade that is out there, and possibly easy to find...maybe sold on Ebay
- What are the golden rules. Pressure and angle I would say must be important...but please let me know your advice

Thanks

Offline tomcj2

• Sly
    • CanbyWeather
Re: Best blades for DE razor
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2012, 04:29:44 PM »
There is no "perfect" blade that everybody agrees upon.  There are many sample packages available. 

For what its worth I really like Astra and really dislike Shark.

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2012, 05:47:52 PM »
Which are the best blades for a DE razor???   Wow... that is a very subjective question.  I would suggest buying a blade sampler and found out what works for you.  My favorite blades currently are the Astra SP, Feather, Polsilver Super Iridium,  Gillette 7 o'clock Blacks.  I also like the Gillette Silver Blues and SuperMax Super Platinums.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2012, 07:30:17 PM »
The Feather blades are my favorite but they are very sharp. Shaving with a DE requires no additional pressure... the weight of the razor will do the job.

I recommend going to a DE website and buying a sampler pack of blades so you can try several different ones at a good price.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2012, 07:45:32 PM »
Warhawk taught me the way of the Astra...works great for me after trying several. Definitely one you should try in your arsenal at first.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2012, 09:04:24 PM »
I like Merkurs, Derby, and Astras. I picked up some Wilkinson Swords yesterday to try out.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2012, 04:27:16 AM »
I have tried the 8 different DE brands available here in South Africa.  But the best blade by far is the Astra SP, which I cannot get here.  So I treasure my little supply that I received, thanks to a blade trade I did with Warhawk.

My answer:  Astra SP - without a doubt!
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Slynito

« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2012, 05:24:23 AM »
I also like the Astra, Merkur, Feather and yesterday I got a BBS shave with a Derby and a 1920 Gillette open comb. I feel the Shark is just ok and don't like the 7 O'clock...I want to try the Crystal and the Bic. And many of these exotic blade brands can be found economically on Ebay. But like they say every shaver has his drotherz.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2012, 02:01:18 PM by Slynito »

Offline greatnessinc

• One part iron man one part superman
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Semper Sly!
« Reply #8 on: November 26, 2012, 09:12:42 PM »
I just ordered a Merkur handle and a 100 pack of Astra SP.
Right now I plan on just using it for face shaving and perhaps someday I'll use it on the dome.
"Ifyou're going through hell, just keep going"
-Winston Churchill