Author Topic: Your track of the week?  (Read 45093 times)

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
Your track of the week?
« on: July 20, 2012, 01:38:01 PM »
I know music has probably been done here, but some threads go dead and there is nothing wrong with lighting up a new one especially if you love music? Everyone loves music, right? Have you ever met a single individual on planet earth who does not enjoy music?

Young at heart, I always have and still enjoy a wide range of music, especially contemporary pop and rock.  It’s something that stuck with me from the eighties. Music just gets better and better these days...

Radio has always pleased me as a young lad.  I still go to sleep with the radio playing my favourite station -- 5fm, softly in the background. Radio is part of my furniture.

Lately I have thin headphones plugged into my ears on my soft pillow, relaxed with my bald warm head resting while music plays me to sleep.  Talk radio is also very enjoyable. I watch VH1 on cable for short bursts almost daily and keep track of pop music especially.

Am I the only one wired like this?

So, why don’t you tell us what your listening to, what music is doing it for you right now? – currently, this week? Any CD’s are you listening to in your car?  What is your favourite song on the radio at the moment?  It can be anything, if Country is your thing, let us hear...Jazz, Rock, “Dub step”, Pop, R&B you name it! 

I think it will be awesome for us baldies to get a feel of what music we enjoy, or get an international vibe of the music world by exchanging our flavour of the week.

Here is / are my songs of the week:

Rudimental feat. John Newman - "Feel the Love"
Fun - "Some Nights"

What’s yours?

"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
Re: Your track of the week?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2012, 02:11:03 PM »
Great topic, waine!

Have you ever met a single individual on planet earth who does not enjoy music?

You'd be surprised. I've run into several in my life. I'm under the firm belief that people who do not enjoy music have no souls. :/O IMO, it's one of the greatest things humanity has ever produced in it's entire history.

Just throwing in: Right now at the moment I have . Classic angry anti-political track.

So on topic, I've been playing quite a bit this week. Just can't seem to get enough of it. Love the musicianship and vocal harmony on that one.

has also been getting my attention a few times this week. Love the riff that carries through the song.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2012, 02:18:06 PM »
Well, there's a lot of trad NO brass jazz bands now, one of the greats of the tradition died.  His funeral is, to put it mildly, unique. 

http://www.nola.com/music/index.ssf/2012/07/uncle_lionel_batiste_gets_send.html

Because we're experiencing extremely heavy rain, street flooding etc., the second line has been postponed til Monday.  But, my guess is that you've never quite seen anyone "laid out" for a wake the way he has been--I know I haven't. 

For funerals--it's hard to match a NO Jazz Funeral. 

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2012, 02:20:32 PM »
Just yesterday when I was on FB Pat Travers posted a link to one of my all-time favorites. It's not a new song by any means, it was popular back in the early 70s but it still hovers near the top of my list of faves.
The song is "Lazy" by Deep Purple. Travers posted it because Jon Lord, the keyboard man of Deep Purple, recently passed on.

Down below is the audio from YouTube. There are live videos on there as well including one from 1999 which shows Jon Lord dominating the stage. The link I posted includes guitar work by Rickie Blackmore but only shows the album cover. Great song though.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 07:06:31 PM »
I have 2 favorite songs right now both by a group called Tinariwen from the west African country of Mali. The songs are Nar Djenetbouba and Mataraden Anexan. The group's got a worldwide following but I don't think they get much airtime on the radio.
Hair is over rated.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 08:00:32 PM »
I've really been enjoying Incubus this week. Because I'm a guitar teacher, I'm often teaching what I'm listening to or vice versa. I'm a bluesman at heart and love Robert Johnson, Son House, and my idol BB King!

Andrei

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2012, 11:38:16 PM »
In the past days I have been listening to Aloe Blacc - I need a dollar (and no I'm not asking for money) and found something from the 90's that I have never heard before, so here goes

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 01:24:19 AM »
Aloe Blacc is so good!

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 07:28:14 AM »
Loudon Wainwright's album  "Older than my Old Man Now" on Spotify.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2012, 07:54:56 AM »
They had a pack of Whitney Houston CD's 3 for 9.99 at Best Buy......This week, I've been playing "I Wanna Dance With Somebody Who Loves Me" That song was #1 on the Billboard Hot 40 this month 25 years ago...
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2012, 08:29:05 AM »
Today I've been listening to the best of Bowie and Adele.

I'd happily have music on all the time and get rid if the tv...

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2012, 08:42:35 AM »

O0 O0 O0 O0 O0
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2012, 09:43:07 AM »
I've been listening the Pat Metheny (Still Life CD) a lot lately.  Am also enjoying The Clash's Rock the Casbah and London Calling.  Kind of at the opposite ends of the spectrum, but that's what's great about music - you can enjoy all kinds.

I grew up with the radio on constantly.  My mother used to say a house without music is like a tomb.  She would turn the kitchen radio on when she got up in the morning and it stayed on until night, always tuned to the same "middle of the road" music station that would edit out any lyrics it felt were inappropriate!

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2012, 10:06:09 AM »

I'm with you on that one too.   O0

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #14 on: July 21, 2012, 04:57:39 PM »

I'm with you on that one too.   O0

+1!