Confidence and Success > Business/Work

Would you relocate for a great job?

(1/5) > >>

TINSLEYCLAY:
I am curious as to the brothers thoughts on relocating for a great job. I only ask because one year ago today I did so myself. I am only about 3 hours away from friends and family but it can be a strain at times. I told myself that it was too good of an opportunity to pass on and I believe it still is. However, I never realized how difficult it would be to ramp up my social life, even for an outgoing person as me.

Anyone ever done something like this? How'd it work out for you?

TheSlyBear:
Yup. Moved from New England to Austin in 1997. Haven't looked back.

Laser Man:
I have relocated for jobs.  My first job out of college was a 7 hour drive from my family.  That job led to assignments in Europe for five plus years.  I wouldn't have traded those experiences for all the rice in China.

Relocating can be difficult, but can also be extremely rewarding.  I still remember my mom's words the morning I was leaving: "I'll miss you terribly, but I'd never hold you back." My parents are both deceased now, but my brothers and I are as close as ever and my daughters are close to their cousins despite the fact that we're spread over three different time zones.

I should add that all of my travel was pre-Internet / Skype, etc.  Keeping in touch is much easier now.  Don't let distance be a hindrance.

Frontier Guy:
Done it ... California to New Jersey to New York to South Florida to Central Florida.

Relocations are both difficult/stressful and exciting/challenging.

Each time I found it necessary to find new interests in order to expand my social circles beyond the people I worked with. I have lifelong friends from each move.

Your photo shows great confidence ... are you putting yourself into environments where you can meet the kind of people you want to meet?

Paul the Headblader:
I would!

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version