Author Topic: Everyone thinks im racist.  (Read 5884 times)

Offline youngandbald1990

• Learning the way of Sly
Everyone thinks im racist.
« on: June 17, 2012, 12:24:20 AM »
Hey what up guys im new and a young bald fellow.I have to say being bald at a young age sucks. beside of having the disadvantage of talking to girls...people think im a white supremacist. I work in CA in los angeles in a warehouse which is a real good reputable company. And my company hires within minorities which is about 60% hispanic and 30% African american 15% oriental and 5 % Caucasian. I hate the fact that just because im white and bald people will assume im racist. when i try to shave my head and build confidence everyone will just throw the heil hitler signal at me. Oh yeah my last name is german which makes it more hard for me to goto work without a hat. And besides people just joking around i could feel the intimidation being around people. I am in no way of being racist against others and believe everyone is equal and use to have long hair and just be a hippie. and besides work when i go out people will have the same response. example i had my car fix over at a auto mechanic and i once walked in to his shop. and the first thing he did was reacted in shock and said " Oh i thought you were a skinhead" since this day on i refuse to bring my vehicle inside that shop ever again. I just hate the fact that i have to feel like this everytime i try to shave my head. for you experience bald headed guys i was wondering you guys ever have the same problem from people. it makes me feel like sh*t. sometimes i feel like i have a damn disease.

P.S. I just made up the statistics but you get the point. lol
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 12:31:23 AM by youngandbald1990 »

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
Re: Everyone thinks im racist.
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2012, 07:54:42 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood. People can be narrow minded and judgemental, but I believe times have changed and that society is more liberated and accepting now. Be confident with who and what you are. Do not be affected with negative reactions. As long as you know yourself, you will do just fine.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline Paul

• Bald Rider
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2012, 06:35:12 AM »
Welcome.   It is a shame that people will judge others by looks without ever getting to know them.  One of the best tools you can use is to enter with a smile on your face and be yourself.   A smile and polite demeanor will disarm just about everyone.   
"...and I--I took the road less traveled by, and that has made all the difference."  Robert Frost

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2012, 07:25:25 AM »
 A smile and polite demeanor will disarm just about everyone.   
and, I hope, will gradually break down stereotypes (whether bald, ethnic, weight, etc.). We all have a role in this.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2012, 07:39:36 AM »
It's unfortunate that you are being stereotyped as a racist.  As my fellow bald brothers have said - confront the stereotype by smiling, being polite and friendly.  People will soon realize your bald head does not conote "racist".

Here's what's really intriguing about the situation: the people who jump to the conclusion that your bald head makes you a racist probably wouldn't think of themselves as bigoted.  I felt self-conscious when I first started shaving my head because I knew so many people would immediately judge me by my appearance (as I've noted in other threads, I've been told I look intimidating.)  That made me very aware of how much I was judging other people by their appearance.  So, a side benefit of being sly is that I'm less judgemental of other people (or so I hope!)

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: June 18, 2012, 07:47:48 AM »
I'm sorry to hear you are being antagonized because of your baldness, youngandbald. Sounds like you live and work around a bunch of superficial twits. I've never experienced that kind of judgement or harassment in my 5 years of being a bald white male (also with a somewhat-German last name: Hendricks) living near Chicago, and I know a whole lot of Latinos. I'm married to one of their women, after all.  >:D
You don't deserve to feel the way they are making you feel. I suggest moving to another part of the country (or another part of Cali), if it really is that bad around you where you are. I hope it turns around for you, either way.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Offline erikwillke

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2012, 01:41:58 PM »
Like the guys above I don't get that reaction.  If I ever did I would point out that skinheads rarely shave their heads.  The almost always buzz it.

Offline Beardman

• Sly Bureau
  • Sly and loving it since 2 June 2012
« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2012, 02:10:54 AM »
Welcome mate,

I am sorry to hear that you are being so ridiculed. I've had a couple of people jest about be being a skinhead, but no one ever means it seriously. I think the best thing is to just keep on smiling, and be friendly to them, even if they do insult you at first and hopefully they come around  O0

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #8 on: June 26, 2012, 07:11:56 AM »
Here's what's really intriguing about the situation: the people who jump to the conclusion that your bald head makes you a racist probably wouldn't think of themselves as bigoted. 

Perfect! Hits the nail right on the head.

I have never gotten this reaction from anyone. I'm not sure why this is in view of the number of posts I've read in here where this has been reported. But after reading npsbg's line that I quoted above (which is perfection) I'm reminded of an argument I had a couple of years ago with a friend of my wife about a topic not related to head shaving. People like this cannot be troubled by taking their own inventory.....they're too busy taking yours. And while it is truly unfortunate I'm somewhat convinced that it is a part of human nature. It's easier for me to feel better about myself if I make opinions of you based solely on how you look than it is for me to truthfully examine my own miserable existence.
That being said I am thinking about the concept of treating all people that I encounter with kindness because we're all fighting some kind of battle. If I genuinely convey that attitude to the people that I meet I think they will be a lot less likely to judge me based upon my ravishing good looks. 

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline medianfury

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 30, 2012, 11:14:14 PM »
  I get the same thing all the time.in austin,tx it's not uncommon to see a man in a dress or a topless woman (this is a wierd place) but god forbid you walk around town bald.latinos look at me with fear women give me dirty looks and a/a's look at me with hate.there isn't any good advice to give  except wear a hat or move.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2012, 04:15:01 AM »
Too bad some people in this world just don't get it. Some people will never change and it's their loss.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #11 on: July 02, 2012, 04:12:10 AM »
Welcome YoungandBald1990

Everything has already been said here about your dilemma.  I cannot believe that some people still have such conservative, narrow minded approaches to something as simple as being bald, especially in the USA which I perceive as being a country that would generally accept such a "hairstyle."  I guess it depends on what State you are living in, hey?

All you can do is act and behave in a way that goes in the complete opposite direction to any form of racism.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Enter your email address: