Author Topic: Stopping blood  (Read 2855 times)

Offline mrmagoo

• Sly Jr.
  • A masochist at work!
    • Polyhedron Games LLC
Stopping blood
« on: June 23, 2012, 04:52:31 PM »
Got my Head Blade. I have some cocoa creme and a good DE. I also have high blood pressure, a craggy face and a bumpy scalp. I also have an alum pencil (stings like the dickens). I know I'm going to get bloody learning this. Any special tips or techniques for controlling or stopping bleeding (besides learning how to shave)?

#3w

Cleanliness is next to godliness

Offline mrmagoo

• Sly Jr.
  • A masochist at work!
    • Polyhedron Games LLC
Re: Stopping blood
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2012, 07:46:04 PM »
Just a few hours until I play masochist again. Really guys, I don't like bleeding. It makes a horrible mess and I have enough messes in my life.
Cleanliness is next to godliness

Offline erikwillke

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2012, 10:58:00 PM »
I've never heard of an alum pencil but i imagine it's like a styptic pencil.  That's what I use, and you're right, they sting like mad.  I haven't found anything that works faster.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: June 24, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »
For a beginning HeadBlader..... DO NOT push down on the HB. Let it gently do it's work.

A lot of guys will tell you to NEVER push down on the HB but with time you will be able to very gently push down on it to get the best shave.

DO NOT push down and PLEASE take your time.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: June 24, 2012, 06:18:05 AM »
Aside from the traditional "holding the tissue", and the aforementioned alum pencil (is it the same as a styptic pencil?) I apply liquid bandage which is sold at most drugstores. Unfortunately, given that our scalps are one of the most sensitive areas on our bodies, can't do much about the sting....(Hey, I like to try to invent things, that may be something to try to do in my spare time ;D) Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #5 on: June 24, 2012, 09:42:12 AM »
For a beginning HeadBlader..... DO NOT push down on the HB. Let it gently do it's work.

A lot of guys will tell you to NEVER push down on the HB but with time you will be able to very gently push down on it to get the best shave.

DO NOT push down and PLEASE take your time.

Best advice.

The only time I nick myself, is when I ignore this advice.

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: June 24, 2012, 07:52:22 PM »
I've found that putting a piece of Kleenex or TP on a (small) cut will stop the bleeding.
Hair is over rated.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #7 on: June 24, 2012, 09:22:34 PM »
Guess I've been fortunate and have not had any serious nicks or cuts in five months of head shaving.  And a few small bleeders in the first month from not being careful in the direction of the razor, but nothing since then. 

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Proudly Sly since 30 April 2012.
« Reply #8 on: June 25, 2012, 12:40:47 AM »
For me the nicks are all part of the deal.  Its is never painfull, just stings a bit and a little unpleasant on the eye to see blood running down my wet dome.  A cold rinse and a splash of aftershave is my treatement for any cuts.
"Three things you cannot escape; tax, death and dirt..."

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #9 on: June 25, 2012, 01:48:26 PM »
I wet an alum block and apply it on the cut. Bleeding stops immediately. After I apply witch hazel followed by an Aloe Vera Gel.

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: June 26, 2012, 04:51:38 AM »
They say, there must always be pain when a good job is done. The old adage, "No Pain no gain" is eternal.  When you cook good meals, you will burn yourself, when you do physical work around the house, you will bang a limb or two, when you shave your nut, you WILL bleed.  That’s life...

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2012, 08:44:28 PM »
Great advice Mikekoz. I still struggle a little with a head blade. It doesn't seem to shave as close as the mach 3 or the Gillette fusion from my experience.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2012, 09:42:38 PM »
best way to stop bleeding is to ..avoid it.
watch it while shaving.
if you're really not good at it, visit a barber, let him/her shave it off for you a couple of times and you'll get the hang of it
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline waine

• just waine
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2012, 03:27:45 AM »
@Baldjoeg, I am so pro the headblade, that I almost get sad for the person who is struggling with it.  Try different blades, I find the Gillette Contour plus are excellent, followed by the Schick Ultra Plus.  practice will bring you to the point of perfection!

Enter your email address: