Author Topic: Best SPF  (Read 2361 times)

Offline King88

• Sly Guy in Training
Best SPF
« on: May 21, 2012, 07:04:36 PM »
In your opinion what is the best SPF sunscreen for the newly sly dome that will allow me to tan but not get burnt to a crisp?  I'm fare skinned but I am able to get a good tan without burning.  Thanks for your help in advance.

Offline Morton

• Sly Jr.
Re: Best SPF
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2012, 08:16:41 PM »
I used to have dirty blonde hair and am also light-skinned but tan well, so I probably have a similar complection. I use Coppertone Sport SPF30. It have UVA & UVB protection and is waterproof and ultra-sweatproof. I think there might be a SPF 50 also available.

I have used it for years. Every summer I swim outside daily for an hour or 90 minutes. I hate hats and never wear swimcaps either. I have never had a problem getting burned with this.

Last Sunday I was at a kids sports event from 8 till 3. I met a few of the other parents the next day and some of them were pretty burned (and they're Japanese). I had no problem what-so-ever despite going hatless all day. I did lather the sunscrean on 3 or 4 times though.

Offline AgeTwentyTwoBaldy

• More sly than a fox
  • Sly
  • Penn State's sly icon
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2012, 09:48:54 PM »
Play it safe and go with SPF 50.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2012, 05:12:07 AM »
At least SPF30... if you're looking to tan..... maybe SPF15 for short periods of time.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2012, 06:20:28 AM »
Here goes the broken record.....

Do some research online about something in commercial sunscreen referred to as "synthetic estrogen" and its potential effects on the human body.

Been a while since I looked it up but some commercial sunscreens also contain substances that may actually increase the risk of certain skin cancers.

I usually go on a long rant about this in sunscreen threads but now, personally, I just wear a hat.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2012, 06:58:55 AM »
Google sunscreen and get the information.  Essentially the product should be a minimum of 30, protect against UVA & UVB rays and must be reapplied regularly for extended periods in the sun.  I saw that Consumer Reports recently did an evaluation of sunscreens, that would also be a good place to start concerning brands. 

Offline Natedawg

• Misanthropic Humanist
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2012, 07:31:06 AM »
I've done just fine with SPF 15 in direct sun for hours at a time. No burns. Different strokes, I guess.
"Change will happen whether we are still or moving." - TTWS

Enter your email address: