Author Topic: Improving overall bald head skin quality/color after electric shaving. any tips?  (Read 13547 times)

Offline lunar

• Learning the way of Sly
I am not new to shaving. though i went from having enough hair to dye orange and have a funky hairdo. to five years later the thinning and then balding set in and those days of fun are long over. now my only option is to either be lazy about shaving and look much older and uglier than i want, or shave and look a lot more handsome and mature in a good way. Also i look younger with no hair and i am not even 29 yet.

So i have been using a shaver for 2-3 years now, but really only been close shaving for the last 1-2 years. i get a bit dry scalp, occasional itchiness or those white pimple issues. i am quite new to all this and i tried to book a dermatologist but the wait list is like a year! my god. I guess a lot of men trying to save their hair rather than simply go bald and enjoy it. lol.

I am asking here as it seems a dedicated place for bald men to give advice to other bald men. I have a older friend of like 48 who shaves daily but he has HUGE pores and does not really moisturize and it looks a bit bad. i would much rather be smooth, well moisturized ( but not too shiny) and hopefully have a consistent scalp color so i don't look white or grey as i do now when i shave.

hoping to get as many tips for what i should do. what kinds of products i should buy, and how/when/why to use them.

I have been reading the boards so far and there's a lot of good info but i lot of confusing points of view. for one thing i do not use a razor and i tend to take more baths than showers so the tips about conditioners, hot water, and shaving products are a bit useless for my situation.

I use a Phillips ( three round blade flexible) electric razor which is not intended to be used on wet hair/skin yet can be opened and cleaned with running water and air dried.

if i shave daily it takes 5-10 minutes but sometimes i am a bit lazy and need more time. or if i let it grow out i need to use my barbers clipper first then the Phillips ( which does great if the hair is very small for daily shaving but bad if its long).

at any rate. i am trying to really kick myself into a daily routine of it but i want a scalp that is both protected outside. but not dry, discolored grey/white, flaky, or too shiny. i have seen men on skytrain overdo the shine and they look like polished metal... not good.

so mostly my question is not about shaving as that i got down well enough, its more for what to do before and after an electric shave to minimize zits, irritation, ingrown hairs etc. as well as moisturizers and so forth. i saw the tree oil stuff?  unsure how to use such products, or where to buy.

Any advice you all can give would be phenomenal as the internet is just so dam confusing when trying to find advice from folks who know what to do. and who knows best then other men who shave and maintain a bald head.

« Last Edit: June 29, 2012, 06:31:12 PM by lunar »

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
I'm going to simply say "welcome" and turn it over to the guys who use electric razors - I'm a wet shave in the shower kind of guy. But stick around, as I'm sure info is coming your way soon.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline lunar

I'm going to simply say "welcome" and turn it over to the guys who use electric razors - I'm a wet shave in the shower kind of guy. But stick around, as I'm sure info is coming your way soon.
thanks

Offline RebelWIL

• Rebel in the Mountains
    • My Personal Website & Profile
thanks
I've now been shaving my head for 4 years and the first 18 months I used the "Conair Clean Head" electric shaver that was specially designed for shaving men's heads along with splashing on Lectricshave to help cut the hair better. The unit worked pretty good but took a good 30 minutes to an hour to get that close shave I like and you need to shave your head everyday. My Headblade system only takes 10 minutes to do an even better job and then I only need to shave every other day.

Once I was done using the Conair Clean Head I needed to rinse my head good and use some baby powder to help with the electric razor burns and you have to clean the Clean Head unit everyday or it gums up quickly and then does a horrible job.

I finally gave up on using the Conair shaver simply because of the time it took and the quality of the shave. The Headblade system works so much better and I generally don't have to take a shower to do it so the time involved is well worth it in my book.

Another issue with the Conair shaver is that you need to replace the shaving heads every 3 to 4 months (they recommend every 6-months).

Now I will admit that I still use a very small dab of baby powder because I like that "Matte" look over a shiny dome but that is negligible.

I would say to just try different methods and routines until you find the one that works best for you the bottom line here is that you enjoy your shaved head and that it gives you the look your looking for.

Hope that helps and I am sure many of us on this list can give you the advice your looking for - Happy Shaving!

The Rebel in the Mountains.

Offline Scottso

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Sly since June 2, 2012
Hi Lunar,

I also use a Philips (Norelco SpeedXL) triple header electric razor. I use a pre-shave lotion (Williams Lectric Shave) before I shave and Gillette's After-shave GEL for sensitive skin afterwards. I've been shaving with an electric razor now for a little over 6 weeks now and so far so good.... I haven't had any skin issues. I also use straight edge (Gillette's Fusion) to clean up (get a little closer on certain stops).

It's worth a try...

Good luck!

Offline Brade

• Sly Jr.
When I was using an electric razor, I used a Panasonic 14000 rpm wet dry razor with WalMart shaving oil.  I always shaved wet, ether in the shower or at the sink. This combo gave me the closest shave. To heal my scalp after shaving, I always use pure clear Alo Vera gel, again found at WalMart.

Brad

Enter your email address: