Author Topic: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?  (Read 49463 times)

Offline bbcguytom

• Sly Jr.
Re: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 07:41:47 PM »
I normally don't care what others may think, but if it bothers you I would try a different pair of sunglasses. I don't think the baldness is intimidating, though.

Offline bella

• Sister Sly
  • Super Sly
  • Sister Sly
« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 08:02:56 PM »
To add a little of the opposite side...

I could sum up the majority of the in-person reactions to me being a slight, 5'3", sly gal as "adorable!"; "do you have cancer, poor dear?" and "you shaved your head to help your friend/child with cancer, you lovely soul!"

There's been a negligible amount of ugly anti-gay comments but we shall ignore those as the opinions of idiots have no statistical significance.

I'd say about half the people I've interacted with have been really supportive of me being sly for my own preferences, and about half seemed really disappointed that the reason I was a slyette wasn't "good enough."  Those whose opinions I know well and care for obviously skew heavily in the first direction. 

So it's almost like people assume I'm more nurturing/supportive when they see me sly until they learn that there's no cancer patient at home. 

Don't think anyone's afraid of me but wouldn't mind feeling a little tough for a change I think.   ;D

Offline stasiu

• Ultimate Sly Guy
  • All dressed up & no hair to go !
« Reply #47 on: February 02, 2013, 08:36:31 PM »
I normally don't care what others may think, but if it bothers you I would try a different pair of sunglasses. I don't think the baldness is intimidating, though.

Just think ... you could have green skin with purple lips ... so I am glad that you are you ... and yes ... new sunglasses will only show off your bald personality radiance ... regardless !

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #48 on: February 05, 2013, 01:39:41 PM »
As other folks have pointed out there's probably a cultural factor to consider too. Back in Italy I used to get a lot of wary if not outright hostile reactions, if anything because Italians can be very conservative and narrow-minded when it comes to appearances. Up to just a few years ago you really didn't see many young bald/sly guys around there and even though I used to be as thin as I rake I've got my fair share of funny looks, people edging away from me, being called a skinhead and so on. Never had this kind of grief in England, but then again the bald look is way more common here.

Worst I can say is that, having beefed up a bit since I moved to London, I've been mistaken for a bouncer / security guard a couple of times  ;D
.: you must laugh and sing if you want to conquer the world :.

Offline Switchy

• Nice old man ;) Yepper
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • No Worries, Be Happy !
« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 12:33:59 PM »
As other folks have pointed out there's probably a cultural factor to consider too. Back in Italy I used to get a lot of wary if not outright hostile reactions, if anything because Italians can be very conservative and narrow-minded when it comes to appearances. Up to just a few years ago you really didn't see many young bald/sly guys around there and even though I used to be as thin as I rake I've got my fair share of funny looks, people edging away from me, being called a skinhead and so on. Never had this kind of grief in England, but then again the bald look is way more common here.

Worst I can say is that, having beefed up a bit since I moved to London, I've been mistaken for a bouncer / security guard a couple of times  ;D
;)  You do kinda have that Godfather look !  I have always wanted to go to Italy, I love pasta, and also have some italian in my gene's !  That stash looks good on you  O0
"Continuous effort---not strength or intelligence---is the key to unlocking our potential." 
                                                                                                             -SIR WINSTON CHURCHHILL

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2013, 05:15:35 PM »
Ahah thanks Switch, the stache is still a work in progress and filling in slowly, we'll see what kind of reactions it'll get me in a few weeks... already had a colleague asking if I was planning to become a Bronson impersonator http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 :D

Definitely take a trip to Italy if you ever get the chance... it's a pretty messed-up country in many ways but it IS beautiful, no mistake (I can't comment about the food cause of course I'm kind of biased there).

This is where I grew up by the way, a bit off the tourist track and well worth a visit... kind of place where a sly head is sure to get more than its share of odd looks though :D

Offline Crusher0209

• Super Sly
  • Life is short and you never know when it will end
« Reply #51 on: February 12, 2013, 05:32:39 PM »
I haven't met someone yet that has said the sly look is intimidating yet but they did say that about my voice. Don't know why but I am a really nice person and will try to do good all the time but can't be good all the time got to be bad sometimes but that is hardly ever O0

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #52 on: February 12, 2013, 07:08:58 PM »
Aside from the past few weeks at work (when I was genuinely disgruntled,) I haven't noticed people being wary of me. I can tell you that for someone of short stature (5'4",) I carry myself as someone much bigger, and I usually have a very serious appearance whenever I walk/stomp.
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #53 on: February 12, 2013, 08:18:45 PM »
Yeah, a Leather jacket and a shaved head can be intimidating to the older ladies! But flash a smile and say hello and you are good  O0

Offline slyjoe

• Sly
« Reply #54 on: February 12, 2013, 08:21:27 PM »
I am a skinhead to most people at my school. But people who know me well enough know I am pretty much the opposite
"Sly til the day I die"

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #55 on: February 12, 2013, 08:55:11 PM »
the stache is still a work in progress and filling in slowly, we'll see what kind of reactions it'll get me in a few weeks... already had a colleague asking if I was planning to become a Bronson impersonator http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 :D

Good luck with the 'stache Todo. Personally I like a slick head and stache as a combination.

Good link too. Actor Tom Hardy looks real fierce with a shaved head in Bronson and Dark Knight. I still get amazed at how a shaved head can really change an appearance. Hardy is a great case in point.

Offline zetaeffe

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • The Bald by Choice Men group
« Reply #56 on: February 22, 2013, 09:27:54 PM »
Ahah thanks Switch, the stache is still a work in progress and filling in slowly, we'll see what kind of reactions it'll get me in a few weeks... already had a colleague asking if I was planning to become a Bronson impersonator http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1172570/?ref_=fn_al_tt_1 :D

Definitely take a trip to Italy if you ever get the chance... it's a pretty messed-up country in many ways but it IS beautiful, no mistake (I can't comment about the food cause of course I'm kind of biased there).

This is where I grew up by the way, a bit off the tourist track and well worth a visit... kind of place where a sly head is sure to get more than its share of odd looks though :D

Dov'รจ questa meraviglia? :@`

Offline Todo Duro

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2013, 11:11:36 AM »
Hey hey buongiorno, another Italian on board! This is Bobbio, in Emilia Romagna - place to go if you like medieval towns, plus the surrounding countryside is awesome and there are some mean rafting spots on the river (and don't even get me started on the food bit  :@`). Whereabouts are you from?

Offline sahil15

• Sly
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2013, 11:43:09 AM »
No cant say I intimidate people but for some reason skin heads keep adding me as friends on facebook... lol

Offline lsflipper

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #59 on: February 27, 2013, 11:50:10 PM »
I haven't noticed anyone being wary, but I have only been bald for 30 days.
Larry the bald guy

Enter your email address: