Author Topic: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?  (Read 48115 times)

Andrei

Re: Have you noticed people being wary / cautious of you as a sly guy?
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2012, 11:23:04 PM »
Friends and people that knew me before going BBC don't have a different attitude twoards me.
Strangers now: They kind of place me into a category (not the best of them all) they think I fit in, but when we have to interact I kind of suprise them.

If I make a judgement about somebody I only see in a picture or for 5 seconds on the street and I don't have the chance to actualy talk or interact with him/her then this says more about the stereotips I believe in than that person's character.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: August 16, 2012, 08:43:40 AM »
For whatever reason, people have always been intimidated by me. I'm a prett big guy... 6'-1" and 230 lbs. and I have a definite Baltimore City accent that is kind of harsh, plus I'm tattooed and of course there is the bald head.

Thing is..... I'm a really compassionate guy that just keeps his good deeds to himself.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #32 on: August 16, 2012, 06:53:45 PM »
Thing is..... I'm a really compassionate guy that just keeps his good deeds to himself.

The unpublicized good deeds are often the most rewarding and inwardly satisfying.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline KG

• Extraordinary Sly Guy
  • Sly
  • Sly since 7/27/2012
« Reply #33 on: August 16, 2012, 07:09:09 PM »
Absolutely.  Good deeds often lift your own spirits, as well as the intended beneficiary's.  Win-win.  O0
As far back as I can remember, I always wanted to be sly.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: August 17, 2012, 04:39:50 PM »

The unpublicized good deeds are often the most rewarding and inwardly satisfying.

Agreed FG. I NEVER publicize the charity/good deeds that I take part in. I'll publicize the charity itself but NOT the part I take in it.
The rewards that I get from these types of things are so personally satisfying. Taking part also helps to keep me grounded.

If you've never recieved a hug from a happy special needs kid or a heartfelt "Thank You" from one of these kids Moms..... well you haven't lived.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Frontier Guy

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • SBC: Sly By Choice ... "Since May 18, 2012"
« Reply #35 on: August 17, 2012, 07:00:51 PM »

Agreed FG. I NEVER publicize the charity/good deeds that I take part in. I'll publicize the charity itself but NOT the part I take in it.
The rewards that I get from these types of things are so personally satisfying. Taking part also helps to keep me grounded.

If you've never recieved a hug from a happy special needs kid or a heartfelt "Thank You" from one of these kids Moms..... well you haven't lived.

Another perspective, along the same line, which I relish is seeing the recipient's delight at the kindness, and then their wonderment at who might have done it "for them." I think that keeps them elevated a lot longer than if their benefactor is revealed. Such a good feeling.
"Sly can adapt to all surroundings!" - Wisdom from KG 8/19/2012

Offline LatinCoffee

• Como estas?
  • Sly
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2012, 10:07:53 AM »
Can't say that I have. (Except when I'm in biker leathers. That seems to scare the crap outa a lot of people.)

;D

Offline Bilko1

• Super Sly
  • Glad To Be Bald-by-choice
« Reply #37 on: November 17, 2012, 09:29:24 PM »
I have had this kind of reaction from people, especially when I first went sly. Some folks thought I had joined a Skinhead group or something similar. At first, some folks who didn't really know me, would avoid me. However, when I gave them a smile & began to speak to them civilly, it kind of took them by surprise & dis-armed them completely!
BaldBill

Offline Scottakist

• Sly Jr.
  • Permanent Color Technician
    • Permanent Color Technicians
« Reply #38 on: November 18, 2012, 09:35:06 PM »
It is possible..
 However I'm 6'4 250lbs
 Covered with tattoos..
  And the truth...
 I could give a **** what most people think about me.
Those who matter know better.
If I'm judged on my appearance alone well shame on those who are afraid to scratch the surface to see what is beneath.

Besides it keeps the shallow and insecure away.

If your not having fun... Your doing it wrong.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #39 on: November 19, 2012, 02:26:53 PM »
If I'm judged on my appearance alone well shame on those who are afraid to scratch the surface to see what is beneath.

Besides it keeps the shallow and insecure away.

Ain't that the truth, I'm now around alot of non-judgemental people, which is great!

isleepinthebuff

« Reply #40 on: November 19, 2012, 04:41:11 PM »
Again I am 6'3" so I do notice some people seem hesitant

Offline OzSly

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #41 on: November 19, 2012, 07:06:16 PM »
Yeah I get people that are wary of the way I look, it's a curse for being so damn handsome  ;D

Seriously though I do get some people that think I am intimidating being 6'-3" 275lbs and fugly but first impressions can be deceiving, once I flash my toothless smile and they chat to me they know I am a big cuddly teddybear......shhhhhhh keep that amongst the Sly Brotherhood here  O0

Offline Mekkor

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #42 on: November 21, 2012, 01:34:52 PM »
Only children and teenagers are afraid of me until they get to know me for five seconds I'm to goofy to be scary when they know me  8)
Although when they get more comfortable I notice people want to touch my head a lot lol
"Thousands walk together, hundreds stand alone, few stand alone to walk together." Dillon McDonald

Offline Steelhauler

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #43 on: November 22, 2012, 10:17:05 PM »
Yeah,  I have been called "sir" more times in the 7 weeks that I have been a baldy than I have been in the previous year.  and its by the same people I have been dealing with for years while doing my job.  Most of my friends and neighbors seem to like the new look and know that I am just a big friendly goofy nut.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #44 on: November 22, 2012, 10:53:48 PM »
What's funny is that I get it most when walking around my very safe and quiet neighborhood.  Though, it's usually the Asian or Indian women, though they probably cross the street for all men walking in the neighborhood.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.