Author Topic: is the hair removal cream all that bad ?  (Read 31754 times)

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
Re: is the hair removal cream all that bad ?
« Reply #15 on: April 05, 2012, 02:24:21 AM »
I would avoid doing this , sunlight plus chemicals could do goodness knows what to your peithelial skin and who knows disease Ca, the product is possibly not tested on scalp skin and is not designed for it , product liability would make you liable for your actions . I tried veet years ago not a wise move , it stinks and made my scalp red .

Avoid any untested chemicals on your skin any where in your body, unless the manufacturer markets it for scalp skin

Offline Omegaboot

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #16 on: April 05, 2012, 12:26:05 PM »
Well, Magic Razorless Shave Cream Smooth is marketed and labeled as for the head, so yeah. And it worked fine for me - passed half a week, and my scalp's just fine, and the facial irritation's almost completely healed up. I got lucky though, I guess.

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2012, 12:36:15 PM »
Heh. Just stumbled across this. New here.

Anyway, I tried Magic Razorless Shave Cream Regular and Magic Razorless Shave Cream Smooth (their full names) recently. I am Caucasian, so I was a little concerned about the fact that the products were formulated for "men of color", but I decided to give it a try anyway. My conclusion? It's basically a chemical shave, cuts off hair like a razor would. If used properly, shouldn't cause any irritation, unless you're sensitive. Furthermore, best results will be achieved if hair or beard, depending on which product you're using (regular for beard, smooth for hair), are quite short, maybe no more than a week or two of growth at medium rate.

What happened was, I had about a month's growth of beard and hair. I applied creams, but the length of the hair made the application uneven, so I was left with patches of hair and a straggly beard, including an almost-whole moustache and heavy patches of hair on the temples. The next day, I had to go to work early, so it had been only 18 hours since the first application, instead of the 24 the products recommend, but the Smooth did its job, removing all the leftover patches. The Regular, however, still left some beard hair around the mouth, as well as patches in the sideburn area, so being a little anxious, I decided to apply a little more for a third time. The last of the beard was finally gone, but within hours I noticed that, while the second application had not had any ill effects, the third one had, leaving a pretty bad-looking chemical razorburn under the corners of my mouth, as well as a small scabbing patch in front of one ear. The skin was obviously irritated, but just a little sensitive to the touch. The hair and beard were all gone, however, albeit already darkening a little (I have dark-brown hair, and have a shadow immediately after shaving, as I did after using this product).

In conclusion, YMMV, but the product works, for me at least, as long as instructions are followed, and some precautions taken. I may use it again, but will make sure hair/beard are short, or at least trimmed a couple days beforehand. The irritation is a factor, but I irritate easily even when shaving, whether blade or electric, so that's not as much of a con for me either. The closeness of the shave is about the same, too.

Maybe next time I'll try a Head Blade.  O0

Addendum: Some tips.
  • Do not wash before applying. Best to do in the morning, unless you had a sweaty night - you want to be dry and a little oily when doing this, in my experience.
  • Resist the temptation to slather it on, like shaving cream. It doesn't foam. Smear thinly but evenly(appropriate thickness for your hair can be achieved with trial and error, but starting thin is best for your first time), and do work it into thick patches. I suspect some of the horror stories may have come of using too much, or on wet, oil-less skin.
  • Trim roughly 2 days before applying, as I mentioned above.
  • If it starts to burn, wipe immediately, rinse well, apply soothing lotion - Banana Boat Aloe After Sun is great.
  • Wipe firmly and thoroughly. Rinse your washcloth liberally, wring out, keep wiping.
  • NO soap. It mentions that in the instructions.
  • If hair patches are left, sorry. Please wait. If just stray hairs, you can trim carefully with a razor or trimmer - VERY carefully.

If I think of anything else, I'll add it here.

From your review I'll stick with a razor. I don't want any chemical irritations.

Offline Omegaboot

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #18 on: April 05, 2012, 02:50:23 PM »
Fair enough. Though a razor causes friction irritation, sometimes. Different things for different people, right?  :P

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: April 05, 2012, 07:13:26 PM »
You'll never, and I repeat never get as smooth as you can with anything other than a blade shave.
No comparison.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #20 on: April 05, 2012, 09:28:03 PM »
Five words: Pass and no thank you.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2012, 05:11:29 AM »
Bad

R3Capt

« Reply #22 on: April 07, 2012, 05:33:27 AM »