Author Topic: Landline phones  (Read 6968 times)

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
Re: Landline phones
« Reply #30 on: March 10, 2012, 08:27:09 PM »
I used to have a landline and cell phone.  I did that since cell coverage with Sprint was very crappy in my apartment, even though on their maps, I had good coverage.  But then I had to cut costs to get some bills paid off.  So I got rid of cable, internet and home phone though
Comcast.  So then I could only use my cell phone in my kitchen and dining room.  Even then, it was spotty.  Now that I am doing better financially, I brought back the cable and internet, but not the phone.  But my phone problems were solved!  How you may ask?  Switching carriers?  Nope!  I found out that there is a device that Sprint offers called the Airave.  It connects to your broadband connection and acts like a mini cell phone tower inside your home.  So you calls go to the device and is basically a VOIP that uses a cell phone.  If you go to the Sprint website, it says that it costs extra.  But upon looking at forums about it, if you threaten Sprint with leaving, they probably will let you have the device for free!  That is what I have done and I am very happy with it!  So I get to have the device until I leave Sprint, then I have to return it!

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2012, 05:22:00 PM »
Iv gotalandline as a package it is useful, im notsureidwant a contractmobile iv got amobile payg ,hate it

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #32 on: March 11, 2012, 09:28:54 PM »

I`ll just stick with the ole trusty rotary phone hanging on my wall .

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
« Reply #33 on: March 13, 2012, 03:05:13 PM »

I`ll just stick with the ole trusty rotary phone hanging on my wall .

/thread
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: March 14, 2012, 12:10:48 AM »
I moved back home on the 1st of this month. Got a landline for my security system, but more often than not people call me on my cell which doesn't bother me because my cell phone bill is only $35 a month. My landline is the bare minimum package. Some people say why don't I bundle...Why? AT&T's internet has no ports available in the area, I like DirecTV better and Cox is not an option because I am banned from Cox (too long a story to share on this post). Getting back on topic, it's good to have that second number via landline in case my cellphone dies or is misplaced.
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
  • Same great sly look. Every day.
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #35 on: April 01, 2012, 07:05:00 AM »
Many of my co-workers do not have landline phones at home, and upon learning that I do have one, reacted as if it were an extremely unusual thing to have.  "Do you actually use it?" was the next question I got.  And I do actually use it.  Some of my friends always call me on my cell phone, but others call the landline, and if I'm at home and need to make a call, I usually use the landline. It's bundled with my cable TV and internet service, so it doesn't cost me a huge amount of money. I also wouldn't want to be solely reliant on my cell phone in the event of an emergency.

Perhaps it's a case of being on the wrong side of the generational divide and refusing to give up obsolete technology, but it never occurred to me to get rid of it.  Just wondering how the rest of you feel about this.   Do you use landlines at home or do you use your cell phones exclusively?

Razor X: you and I could be on the same side of the generation divide. Like you, I have my landline is bundled in with the cable telly and broadband internet. It does feel a bit silly making a mobile phone call in the flat. You use the mobile when you are ... err.. mobile and out and about.

BTW, in the States do you use the expression 'broadband' when referring to the Internet ? Gets used a lot here in the UK. First there was dial up internet. Then there was broadband.

You're gonna have to forgive me. I love all the little differences between the American and British English.

« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 07:08:46 AM by Mr Jules »

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #36 on: April 01, 2012, 07:20:31 AM »
So do I Jules. A recent addition to my collection is "Knocking House"....LOL.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #37 on: April 01, 2012, 08:00:19 AM »

Oh, what's "knocking house" ?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: April 01, 2012, 08:10:21 AM »

BTW, in the States do you use the expression 'broadband' when referring to the Internet ? Gets used a lot here in the UK. First there was dial up internet. Then there was broadband.

You're gonna have to forgive me. I love all the little differences between the American and British English.

Yes, we do but it's pretty much taken for granted that most people have broadband access now, so more often than not we just say "internet".

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #39 on: April 01, 2012, 09:07:36 AM »
Yeah, broadband and internet. It's all interchangeable now.

Mind you, don't know how I'd cope without the internet, if ever it went wrong. For starters, no SBG forum for tips and advice.

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #40 on: April 01, 2012, 09:14:17 AM »
YEs  Jules  ,

Think how  much  letters  would cost  now  60p  a throw  not too mention the enormous amount of  stuff that we all do on the internet  , I occasionally use  SKype  ,

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2012, 09:22:50 AM »
YEs  Jules  ,

Think how  much  letters  would cost  now  60p  a throw  not too mention the enormous amount of  stuff that we all do on the internet  , I occasionally use  SKype  ,

Internet save a fortune. Like the new profile pic.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2012, 09:41:43 AM »

It's British for a Brothel.

Offline Mr Jules

• Sly Bureau
    • You Tube channel
« Reply #43 on: April 01, 2012, 09:44:53 AM »

It's British for a Brothel.

Of course ! Being British, I should (and now do remember) what the means.

If you want another bit of British slang, sure you've come across the word "dodgy". Get used here all the time.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: April 01, 2012, 10:05:46 AM »
Yes I've got that. Same language, so many differences.