Author Topic: Dandruff - Sunscreen + Lotion - Whats out there?  (Read 5390 times)

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
Dandruff - Sunscreen + Lotion - Whats out there?
« on: April 23, 2012, 01:08:45 PM »
This is my second time going sly. First lasted about a year but I didn't put anything on my head to condition it. This time around I wanna do things better.

Because I have a dry scalp I wanted to get a moisturizing lotion with a built in sunblock. Half an hour in the lotion/sunblock isle at Wal-Mart taught me that this product isn't as big a hit as I'd thought it'd be. There was only One moisturizing lotion that had sunblock in it that was Eucerin moisturizing lotion with 15 SPF - 7 bucks for a tiny 4 oz spray bottle.

I was shocked at this. I would have thought a lot of lotions would be adding sunblock.

In frustration I choose a 12.5 oz bottle of Jergens Ultra Healing $3.25 and an 8 oz bottle of Block Up 50 SPF sunblock $3.50.

I have used Jergens Ultra Healing before and found it works great for dry skin. The 50 SPF I figure I needed to ensure I don't burn while my scalp is naturally tanning. I plan to use the Jergens first, then after thats worked into the skin real well, apply the sunblock.

1)How well with this work?

2) what other products are out there that I missed that may have been a better choice?

Thanks.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:10:40 PM by Electric Rider »

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
Re: Dandruff - Sunscreen + Lotion - Whats out there?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2012, 01:57:26 PM »
I use neutrogena sensitive facial moisturiser with SPF 15. It's enough unless I'm out in the sun for over 20 mins, then I just use sun block

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2012, 11:51:10 AM »
Thanks for the answer Slyfive.

Sounds like a good product for when I am not going out into the sun.. trouble is I never know when or if I will need to. Judging from the lack of responses it still seems there are not a lot of products out there like this. Perhaps I'm better off sticking to my two bottle solution for now.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2012, 09:44:39 PM »
I'm thinking of mixing up a bottle of my own that combines all the good separate bottles

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2012, 02:03:34 AM »
Stick to sun cream that will sort out the dandruff,

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2012, 02:49:05 PM »
Stick to sun cream that will sort out the dandruff,

I'm really liking the combo of the two so far, the Jergens Ultra Healing and sun screen. The Jergens helps heal and condition my head from any nicks and scrapes with the razor. Seems to cut the healing time in half. It also causes the skin to retain more moisture than it normally does over time. This will also help with the flaking.

I think since I had just started shaving my head again I noticed more dandruff because I never used any product on my head.. even as you know shaving cream. Now after a week of using these products I'm seeing less and less flakes. The sun screen seems to work well on top of the Jergens.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2012, 09:27:54 PM »
I'm pretty sure the fact that you don't use and shaving cream etc will be contributing to dryness because of the blade contact

Offline Electric Rider

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2012, 02:24:01 PM »
I'm pretty sure the fact that you don't use and shaving cream etc will be contributing to dryness because of the blade contact

Yeah that may contribute but I was worried about it anyway because I had flakes before I started shaving my head again. I never wanted to be this person that had to use medicated shampoo the rest of my life so I didn't, and it's not like you can easily moisturize the scalp with a head full of hair. Now my scalp is at least getting better treatment.

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2012, 03:07:43 PM »
I also attempted to moisturise through hair before I shaved... messy business

Offline Baldstu

• Sly Bureau
  • Me
« Reply #9 on: April 30, 2012, 02:31:19 AM »
No reason why not or use a shower gel with moisturiser when in the shower

Enter your email address: