Author Topic: What's wrong with Baseball?  (Read 4574 times)

Offline yelloboy32

• Sly Jr.
  • Don't talk about it, Be about it
    • Williams On Sports
What's wrong with Baseball?
« on: June 11, 2012, 11:45:05 AM »

"Success is a journey, not a destination...the doing is more important than the outcome". -Arthur Ashe

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: What's wrong with Baseball?
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2012, 07:50:40 PM »
Hey TW:

Just listened 2 your podcast on baseball,  good job.   I definitely agree with the inter-league games in that MLB needs 2 get rid of it.  It makes the All-star game and WS better if they did away with inter-league games.  Also, MLB needs to market their players better in hopes to get  more fans and more American players to the game.

Baseball compared to football and basketball's growing popularity is like the Blackberry.  Blackberry used to be the most popular and the most well-used cell phones.  However, they did not do anything to improve and have been left behind to the Android and I-phone.  To me, baseball is the Blackberry of the 3 major sports in the good ole USA.

WARHAWK O0

Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2012, 08:04:11 PM »
Hey TW:  Are U gonna talk 'bout the Pacquaio vs Bradley fight?  WOW,  that was high way robbery at it's finest. :Xo!  Boxing fans should not even spend another dime on this re-match.  They are already talking about a November rematch.   :/O

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline yelloboy32

• Sly Jr.
    • Williams On Sports
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2012, 08:53:06 PM »
Thanks Warhawk for listening, much appreciated.

Unfortunately, I didn't watch the Pac/Bradley fight so it's hard for me to comment on it, however, I will watch Saturday on HBO and may have something to say after.
"Success is a journey, not a destination...the doing is more important than the outcome". -Arthur Ashe

Offline yelloboy32

• Sly Jr.
    • Williams On Sports
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2012, 12:41:42 PM »

Offline Hingatao

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2012, 02:30:09 PM »
Hey TW:  Are U gonna talk 'bout the Pacquaio vs Bradley fight?  WOW,  that was high way robbery at it's finest. :Xo!  Boxing fans should not even spend another dime on this re-match.  They are already talking about a November rematch.   :/O

WARHAWK O0

Pacquiao definitely got cheated on that fight! Rematch? It's up to them and the promoters but I don't think I'd bother watching it.
Hair is over rated.

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2012, 12:30:11 PM »
    Game needs to speed up................simple as that. All the stepping out of the box.......putting your hand up to the ump so there is no pitch  [jeter ],readjusting your batting gloves after every pitch.  The game has become BORING!!!!! Umpires have the power to speed these clowns up but rarely use it. Fans and players stay in the game much better when there isn't 90 seconds between pitches.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2012, 12:52:25 PM »
162 games....way too many. Regular season should end in Late August and the World Series should end by the first week in October at worst. I think 120 games is more than enough. Further, aside from July, baseball has to compete with the NBA Playoffs at the beginning and the start of the NFL season at the end. My 0.02
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2012, 12:54:34 PM »
   Game needs to speed up................simple as that. All the stepping out of the box.......putting your hand up to the ump so there is no pitch  [jeter ],readjusting your batting gloves after every pitch.  The game has become BORING!!!!! Umpires have the power to speed these clowns up but rarely use it. Fans and players stay in the game much better when there isn't 90 seconds between pitches.

+1

Offline popperkarl

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 02:35:17 PM »
I don't know much about baseball (I've only been to one game, Diamondbacks vs Mets I think, whilst I was on holiday over there) but cricket suffered from similar problems of being too long, slow and boring, so they introduced a new format of the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty20

Is this something that could work in baseball? The new style of cricket has brought a lot of new life into the game and it's a lot more exciting than the traditional format  :)

Offline b.driscoll

• Super Sly
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2012, 08:24:13 PM »
 Simply speed the players up...................stay in the box quit scratching and re adjusting your gloves...............know the signs................throw the ball.

Offline Bluebriz

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: July 23, 2012, 08:39:50 PM »
I don't know much about baseball (I've only been to one game, Diamondbacks vs Mets I think, whilst I was on holiday over there) but cricket suffered from similar problems of being too long, slow and boring, so they introduced a new format of the game: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty20

Is this something that could work in baseball? The new style of cricket has brought a lot of new life into the game and it's a lot more exciting than the traditional format  :)

To some people it's exciting, but to a lot of people, test cricket is the best version.  One day games aren't bad but 20-20 does nothing for me.  I imagine that people who are new to cricket could use it as a stepping stone to the "proper stuff!"

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 09:44:13 PM »
Speeding up the game would be nice. However, a lot of that has to do with the $ paid by TV contracts.

Overall, I'm a pretty happy with baseball as is. Except for the G*D DAMN GIANTS WITH THEIR WHOLE TERRITORIAL RIGHTS GARBAGE AGANST MY BELOVED OAKLAND A'S.

LET THEM MOVE TO SAN JOSE AND WATCH BILLY BEANE WORK HIS MAGIC.

MAN, I HATE THE SAN FRANCISCO GIANTS.  g@@4

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2012, 06:08:14 AM »
They could do a lot to speed up the game. I once watched Steve Carlton pitch a shutout in 2 hours.

Enter your email address: