Author Topic: Newly Sly and Thanks  (Read 10904 times)

Offline sebrun

• Sly Guy in Training
Newly Sly and Thanks
« on: February 13, 2012, 03:51:43 PM »
This is my first post. I lurked around for several weeks, then signed on as a member on 26 January 12, and lurked some more before deciding write.

I want to say how much I appreciate this website and its  participants. I’ve wanted to be BBC for a long time.  I sat on the fence for years worrying about physical shortcomings and what others would think.

It wasn’t until I found this website and began to read through many of the forum’s threads that I began to see that many of those thinking about crossing over to the sly side have their own issues and challenges they need to face before they can accept themselves and try it sly.

Even after I’d been hanging around here for a while, I was still hesitant to become sly. My main concern is that, at 54, I’m a skinny guy with a skinny neck. I would look at the avatars of the sly members and think “I’ll never carry off the sly thing as well as these guys do, so why bother.  I thought that my still relatively thick brown hair at least helps to deemphasize my neck size, so why not just keep it and be done with it.

The problem was that I wasn’t happy with hair; been there, done that. And I was obsessing more and more about shaving it off. I don’t know how many times I lay awake at night thinking and planning to make time the next day to go down to my local barbershop and tell him to just cut it all off  to make the start on this chosen path, but I would always talk myself out of it the next day.

Finally, on 3 Feb. nervous and shaky, I manned up, walked into the shop and had the barber cut off the hair as close to my scalp as he could, went home, took a quick shower, and shaved my head—and I really like it.

I still have some feelings of self-consciousness about my neck. But I realize it’s the same with or without the hair. The difference is that now I’m sly the way I want to be and find I really am less concerned about what others think about it. I’m a week into the 30-day challenge. But don’t expect I’ll go back to the hair thing any time soon.

So thanks and keep up the good work you guys do in helping both BBN and BBC in overcoming challenges—whatever they may be—on the road to sly. 

Lastly, I’m having trouble uploading even an avatar picture or I’d post one. Thanks.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Newly Sly and Thanks
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2012, 04:14:35 PM »
Welcome and happy shaving! Glad you found out what it's like to be free from hair!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline LAGLE

• Proud To Be Bald By Choice (BBC)
  • Sly
  • Hooah
    • Army Blog
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
sirharry love your motto! and glad you've joined us sebrun!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2012, 05:09:05 PM »
Welcome!! Nice intro!

Join right on in!!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Slyfive

• Human Torpedo!
  • Sly Bureau
  • Better to be bald than balding
    • My Band The DeLoreans
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2012, 05:14:35 PM »
I think it looks great, great 'stache too!

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2012, 05:57:08 PM »
 Looks great. Welcome aboard and enjoy.  8)

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2012, 07:29:24 PM »
Welcome to the bald brotherhood Sebrun. You look good. Enjoy the freedom of being bald.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline sebrun

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2012, 08:00:27 PM »
Thanks for the positive feedback.

I'm not sure how I did it but this really got posted in the wrong place. I meant to put it in "To be or not to be...Bald"

Well live and learn to be more careful next time.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2012, 08:42:05 PM »
LOL.  Your neck is fine.  I'm 110 lbs with a skinny neck.  The self conscious thing goes away in a week or two.

I had a friend ask me today if she should keep her bangs or let them grow out.  I said "You're going to ask a guy who recently shaved his head without telling anyone?"  I told her to try different styles see what she likes, it's only hair.  The hair change doesn't seem to be to easy for men or women.

Welcome.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2012, 01:10:38 AM »
hey, welcome to SBGs and congratz.
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

seahawk guy

« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2012, 03:58:54 AM »
Welcome Sebrun - good to have you join us. Worth remembering that we sometimes worry far too much about things we see in us that other folk never even notice. Your new look is good - great moustache.  O0 O0 

Slynito

« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2012, 04:21:27 AM »
Welcome to the forum!  O:O

Offline Itall

• Super Sly
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2012, 07:35:38 PM »
Welcome

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 03:31:30 AM »
Sebrun,

Welcome. Thanks for sharing your story.  I'm still in my first month of being bald. I'm really challenged by the guys who have been shaving bald for years.  Some day I'll be there.

I agree, the biggest step is just doing it for the first time.  Then it's not a big deal.  Wear it proudly and enjoy it.  Bald suits you well, and people are telling me the same.  Even had a guy at work say that he's really tempted to join me! I said, come on. It's nice.

Offline sebrun

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 12:36:58 PM »
Thanks guys. Appreciate the support and kind words.

Enter your email address: