Author Topic: Back of the Head Problem  (Read 1563 times)

Offline The Original Chewmiester

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Sly isn't just a style, it's a way of life.
Back of the Head Problem
« on: January 02, 2012, 02:32:34 AM »
Fellas,

I have a hunch that this has already been asked...but I want to ask it again according to the problem I have.

I have tried many razors(Headblade, Xtreme3, Quattro, Fusion, M5 and Hydro 3 & 5), shaving creams, and methods (against and with the grain) in my years of head shaving...and I can't seem to get the back of my head baby smooth. I don't apply much pressure at all, and let the razor glide across. No matter what I do, I can't seem to get the nape area smooth to save my life. Razor burn from constant passes is all I get, with maybe a little stubble removed.

Any ideas on how to go about solving this or is this something I gotta just deal with? Thanks in advance.

Offline valldo

• Sly
Re: Back of the Head Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2012, 03:59:46 AM »
Everything has a learning curve and that means you need some time.
Now since you have been shaving for years I would  suggest you get the razor and creams you are most comfortable with, and the ones you get the best shave with, and try to establish a routine.
Use the same razor and the same cream over and over again trying to get everything out of it, that's the only thing I can think about.
It took me a while to find my razor, my blade of choice and my cream(s), and ultimately my routine.
Nowadays I get it baby smooth all over in just minutes

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2012, 04:02:11 AM »
Based on personal experience, with your free hand, stretch the skin on your nape and shave against the grain with firm but gentle strokes.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Slynito

« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2012, 05:22:11 AM »
You already know about shave oil and gels...wash with hot water and like Kalbo said, stretch your hide and shave against the current. Good luck.

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2012, 08:30:05 AM »
If you're shaving it daily maybe that's too often ? I know I don't get as close a shave with a razor when I do so daily as I do when it's every other day. So i use a fusion one day & an electric the next. In the winter because of the dry air many times I shave my head every other day. Where as in the summer because of increased moisture & humidity I shave my head daily.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2012, 10:04:19 AM »
It may take a little more time, because on most men, hair is stronger on the sides and back...many people (myself included) are showing a horseshoe after shaving....what I do when time permits is shave a second time and slap some baby oil on the sides and back and I get better results (I'm still learning as I go along too) good luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline The Original Chewmiester

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Sly isn't just a style, it's a way of life.
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2012, 01:16:50 PM »
I am going to give that shot later Kalbo. I use hot water only and shave in the shower. I might consider switching from daily to every other day. My razors don't do so well when I wait longer than that...especially 3 days in between b/c the razor head gets clogged very easily.

Out of all the razors I have tried, the Xtreme3 and ProGlide do the best on my head...since the Xtreme3 is cheaper, I go with it. I also use Shave Secret both by itself and with HeadSlick. The SS is my best shave for the money...

I am all for any other suggestions any other Sly brothers have. I appreciate it very much.