Author Topic: Just did a shower shave  (Read 5489 times)

Offline JasonSandeman

• Sly Guy in Training
    • The Well Done Chef
Just did a shower shave
« on: January 18, 2012, 07:50:11 PM »
So, after reading about shaving in the shower, decided I would give it a try. I use a Mack 3 blade, but normally with shaving cream. I managed to get a smooth shave, but now my head is stinging like crazy!

I applied baby oil (I read someone does that on here,) but I'm looking for some sort of help. I live in Quebec Canada, so who here knows about what is available?

My normal routine is the Mach 3 at the sink with shaving cream, rinse with cold water and dry. I have been breaking out lately, do I wanted to try something different.

Offline BillOnBass

• Super Sly
Re: Just did a shower shave
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2012, 10:46:04 PM »
Hi,

If your head is stinging after your shower headshave there are two things that come to mind:  1.  You may be applying too much pressure.  It's easier to not notice that you're doing it right away when there's a lot of water pouring on your head.  2.  Are you washing your head with a harsh soap right after shaving?  Some soaps and shampoos can cause irritation when you wash right after shaving, as your pores are still open.
"There he goes.  One of God's own prototypes.  A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.  Too weird to live, and too rare to die."

Offline JasonSandeman

• Sly Guy in Training
    • The Well Done Chef
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2012, 12:10:28 AM »
I guess I might be applying too much pressure… or it could even be that I'm applying too many strokes?
As for washing, I washed my head before, but literally used only water while shaving. I didn't wash my head afterwards.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2012, 06:52:36 AM »
IMO, it's okay to wash your scalp before shaving, but washing after shaving is important, because it cleans any leftover dirt/cream/loose hair off your scalp and gives you less chance of breaking out...Good Luck!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2012, 09:28:39 AM »
Sounds like too much pressure, too many strokes or not enough shaving cream. The shower provides a nice moist environment for shaving and your skin softens a lot. That's why it's important to use enough shaving cream and a light touch on the razor. Wash well first, lather up, make gentle passes reapplying lather if you're making multiple passes over the same spot, rinse well with warm water and finally douse your head with cold water (I do this at the sink). That approach should give you a smooth dome with no stinging.