Author Topic: Best clippers that shave as close as a razor?  (Read 158170 times)

Offline RobbieDigital

• Learning the way of Sly
Re: Best clippers that shave as close as a razor?
« Reply #45 on: March 03, 2013, 04:14:06 PM »
Hey there,

Been a while since I've posted on this site, but here's my two cents:

When I first started shaving my head 5-6 years ago, I bought a Wahl Peanut which served me faithfully up until a week ago.  It's a great little buzzer - very powerful and manueverable.  After 2 or 3 replacement blades, it finally gave up the ghost when I plugged it into a 240V European outlet  :/O

Because my balding has gotten more pronounced over the years, I decided to investigate a few replacement buzzers, namely the Andis T-Outliner and Wahl Balding Clippers.  After speaking with the guy at the store, I decided to go with the Andis for a few reasons:

1) Smaller, lighter and easier to handle
2) Closer cut than the Peanut (but perahps not as close as the Wahl)
3) Wide blade, making it arguably faster to cut your hair

I gave it a go yesterday and was very happy with the results - powerful, and a very close cut.  Only cut myself once which I was scared about going with these shorter blades.

Here's a pic of the results, a day later.

« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 12:30:51 PM by Tyler »

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #46 on: March 03, 2013, 04:18:08 PM »
Not bad. Looks pretty good.

Offline Sir Harry

• Sly Kegler
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #47 on: March 03, 2013, 07:15:54 PM »
Welcome back, Robbie, thanks for sharing!
Even when the d is removed, the devil is still evil.

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #48 on: March 16, 2013, 04:39:45 PM »
I have been trying to wet shave with the HeadBlade & Gillette Fusion for a few months but I am having too many issues with razor burn so I would prefer to use clippers as I have no razor burn issues with them.   I even tried using foil shavers designed for shaving beards but again the razor burn was shocking.   I have previously used the Wahl Balding clippers but I never really thought that they cut as close as people say and they don't allow you to change blades.   Having looked into it the 000000 blade on the Wahl Balding clippers actually only cuts to 0.4mm.   Surely there has to be clippers that cut shorter than that?   I thought I heard somewhere that there is an Andis Blade that cuts as short as 0.1mm and it can even be attached to other brands of clippers like the Oster 76.   I live in Ireland so Andis and Oster products are hard to find over here but I wonder if any of you guys over in America can shed any light on this?

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2013, 03:52:01 PM »
I have been trying to wet shave with the HeadBlade & Gillette Fusion for a few months but I am having too many issues with razor burn so I would prefer to use clippers as I have no razor burn issues with them.   I even tried using foil shavers designed for shaving beards but again the razor burn was shocking.   I have previously used the Wahl Balding clippers but I never really thought that they cut as close as people say and they don't allow you to change blades.   Having looked into it the 000000 blade on the Wahl Balding clippers actually only cuts to 0.4mm.   Surely there has to be clippers that cut shorter than that?   I thought I heard somewhere that there is an Andis Blade that cuts as short as 0.1mm and it can even be attached to other brands of clippers like the Oster 76.   I live in Ireland so Andis and Oster products are hard to find over here but I wonder if any of you guys over in America can shed any light on this?

You tried going with the grain, very slowly? I'd avoid going against the grain if I was you.

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #50 on: March 17, 2013, 03:59:00 PM »
You tried going with the grain, very slowly?

Yeah I have tried pretty much everything, but I don't mind that sandpaper finish that comes with using clippers, I just wanna make sure I'm getting the shortest clipper cut possible why is why I am keen to find out more about this Andis 0.1mm blade that is compatible with the Oster 76 clipper.   Everyone keeps saying the Wahl Balding clippers are the shortest possible clipper cut but that is certainly not the case as it uses a 0.4mm blade.

Offline KJK1LL3R

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #51 on: March 25, 2013, 04:57:17 PM »
I got my Oster 97 (UK equivalent to the Oster 76) clippers and the Andis #000000 Outliner 0.1mm blade today.   Although it does indeed cut close, it didn't blow me away as it didn't seem much closer than the Wahl Balding clippers with their 0.4mm blade and I had kind of expected their to be a noticeable difference in that 0.3mm gap between the two.

Offline mahaw90

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #52 on: May 10, 2013, 06:28:04 AM »
I have been intrigued by the Wahl Balding Clippers for a while now after hearing the positive reviews. They eventually came today, I probably had about 5 days growth, so decided to give them a whirl. They are a superb clipper, very well made and feel solid in the hand. The cut is very nice as well, I'd say probably the same length as 36 hours after shaving BBS. This doesn't bother me as I quite like the sand paper look. Here is a photo after I had just finished.

As you can see it is quite short and there is zero irritation. They are a great alternative for people who suffer from irritation used from a razor.

Offline bud

• Sly
« Reply #53 on: May 10, 2013, 06:58:14 AM »

I think the clipper works well and cuts the hair close to the scalp,
is an alternative to wet shave in the case of skin irritation. 8)

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #54 on: June 26, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »
Just ordered the Wahl Balding Clippers today. I saw plenty of positive reviews on here to help me make the purchase.

I have a question: Are any of you having problems being cut by the blades? I was reading the reviews on amazon and there were complaints of that. Are these people just newbies or what?

Thanks!
Bald since 2005, showing it off since 2011.

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #55 on: June 26, 2013, 01:06:51 PM »
I have them and never cut myself with them. It is important to oil the cutting blades every now and then.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #56 on: June 26, 2013, 02:09:38 PM »
Thanks for the reply! How often would you recommend oiling them? Also, would you recommend oiling them right out of the box or should I wait?

I've always used clippers, just figured it was time for an upgrade, so I'm by no means a new head shaver here. Some of the reviews on there scared me.

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #57 on: June 26, 2013, 02:38:28 PM »
I used mine right out of the box with no issues. I also oiled the blades around twice a month.

Offline Plano

• Sly
« Reply #58 on: June 29, 2013, 09:26:31 AM »
Just got the Walh Balding Clippers. THEY ARE AWESOME!!!

I can't be happier with the purchase.

100% Recommended.

Offline jdcsky

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #59 on: June 29, 2013, 11:40:36 AM »
I agree with you they are awesome. I am very happy with mine.

Enter your email address: