Author Topic: Considering the bald head / full beard combination  (Read 62669 times)

Offline Scarface

• Learning the way of Sly
Considering the bald head / full beard combination
« on: November 03, 2011, 07:28:44 AM »
Hello :) This is my second topic on this great forum. I'm glad I found it.

I'm considering to go for the bald head / full beard combo and I was wondering for the guys who are sporting this look how this works out for you. How do people react to it?

I'm asking this because I don't see many guys around here where I live sporting this combo. Society wants us men to be clean shaven or trimmed.

And how do woman react to it? :D

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Considering the bald head / full beard combination
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2011, 08:38:25 AM »
I like it for myself for a couple of reasons.  I think the look is a good one for me, although wifey isn't exactly on board--she wants it more tightly trimmed.  A side benefit is that since I no longer shave below the ears--I use my beard trimmer at 0 to trim up my neck and have a totally natural and untrimmed cheek line--razor blades last a lot longer, a whole lot longer.  I see a lot of sly guys with the look too--including one banker in my office building. 
Other than my wife, I get a lot of compliments from ladies we know.  One, whose husband is also bearded, says the bald and full bearded look suits me well.  Of course I guess anyone who doesn't like it is too intimidated by my bad a$$ look to say anything.  Right now I'm letting it grow without trimming for a month at least and may go two.  Then I may get a barber to trim it up--my trimmer guides end at one inch and I'm beyond that now. 
For what it is worth, my recommendation is go for it--just remember that you're sly in something like 20-30 minutes but a beard is evidence of patience.  It will pretty much look like a beard in 3-4 weeks, but frankly the truly mature beard takes several months because all the hair doesn't grow at the same rate, IMO. 

Slynito

« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2011, 08:13:56 PM »
It all works for me...my woman likes the bald look but would like me to have a snow white beard instead of salt 'n' pepper.

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2011, 08:31:14 PM »
I sported a full beard for 30 years, long before I before going sly.  A year ago, when I went from a short buzz to a shaved head, the full beard was trimmed down to a stache and goatee.  After not shaving my face for 30 years, shaving became a real chore. 

A month ago, the face shaving stopped.  The beard has filled in well and I like it.  There have been no negative comments about the bald head and full beard combination.  in fact there are several men where I work who groom the same way. 

Try growing the full beard for a month.  If you decide you don't like it, shave it off.  But at least give it a try.

Offline jbald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2011, 05:38:00 AM »
Agree with Jim and Saint.  I went with beard this fall as well.  My wife doesn't like it very much either Saint, but other ladies have complimented it! 

Go ahead and grow it, if you don't like it, it's nothing a razor can't fix.
Sucess is more permanent when principles are not compromised to achieve it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2011, 06:25:28 AM »
  My wife doesn't like it very much either Saint, but other ladies have complimented it! 

Ain't it kinda fun that way, expeecially when the compliments are said by the ladies right in front of wifey? ;D  When that happens I smile, but say nothing--I want to live to see another day. ::)

Offline Scarface

« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2011, 08:47:01 AM »
Thanks for the replies! Think I'm going to give it a try next week :)

I'm still thinking about carving a neckline and keeping it groomed or just let everything grow out? I always have had some sort of facial hair on my face since I was able to grow it and tried some different styles over the years. I feel naked without hair on my face. My goal is to achieve at least 3 months of growth and see how a full beard suits me.

Offline nuts

• sly and bearded
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2011, 08:55:39 AM »
I've had the combo for over 7 years now and no one has ever made any negative comments.  It is just my look and I am happy with it. It used not to be a common combo but I see a lot more men with the look now.

My wife would prefer me to shave it down to a goatee rather than a full beard as she says the beard makes my face look too 'full'.  I keep the beard trimmed and also like a neckline for definition.  Give it a try - your can always shave the facial hair off = but like a shaved head initially give the beard some time to fill out.
Roger

Offline jbald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2011, 07:45:54 PM »
Ain't it kinda fun that way, expeecially when the compliments are said by the ladies right in front of wifey? ;D  When that happens I smile, but say nothing--I want to live to see another day. ::)

You are a wise man Saint!  I know what you mean though.  Nothing more than a sideways glance. :-X
Sucess is more permanent when principles are not compromised to achieve it.

Offline Mike

• Sly genetics guy
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
    • Facebook
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2011, 10:19:22 PM »
I say grow it for atleast a month. What I have been doing is I let it all grow for a month or so then shave the sides, trim the bottom and part of the stache and let it go all over again. I look like a pre-teen without facial hair and my face normally gets too itchy after a month of growing a beard.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2011, 01:24:01 AM »
I wouldn't sport the bald/beard look. I don't think it works  ;)

Offline 4fit

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2011, 07:58:02 PM »
Give it a try, or be like me I can never keep a look more than a month full beard scruff beard goatee  chin beard clean shaven I constantly change it up

Offline Lats

• LATS
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2011, 11:34:22 PM »
Rock the beard with the sly. I'm a bigger guy so the beard helps define the jaw line. Good advise here, go with the look you like....with confidence, the ladies will respond either way. ;-) Welcome
Worrying is like a rocking chair...it gives you something to do but gets you nowhere.

Offline marshd1000

• Sly Bureau
  • Love your bald noggin, wear a hat in the sun!
    • Christian Chromedomes
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2011, 09:11:57 AM »
I am prejudiced....go for the beard!!!!       O0

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
« Reply #14 on: November 16, 2011, 09:16:38 AM »
I wear a van dyke (goatee with mustache) April to Nov but in the cold cold winter months of AZ, I have always grown it out Nov - April. This year my wife asked me if I was going to do the same, as it's my first winter sly, I said "we'll see", yesterday she noticed I shaved my head but didn't touch my face, she signed and said "lets see how it looks"... my beard is very much blond/grey so even I'm not sure if it will work minus the hair up top. I'll post a pic next week once it fill s in a bit. I do trim my neck.
AKA Gimpy