Author Topic: 2011-12 Football Season!!  (Read 5069 times)

Online buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: 2011-12 Football Season!!
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2011, 03:00:16 AM »
Buddha, I hear you. Especially when it comes to the big stars. However, for a lot of players I can see where they're coming from. You figure the average NFL career is 3 years (crazy, right?) And if you make the minimum salary as a rookie, you will have about $1.2 million after three years and taxes will take a chunk of that. Now the owners want more games and a longer season. If you are a player in a sport notorious for injury shortened careers, of course you are not going to want to add more games onto the season. So I see it from both sides. They make a lot of money, but many of them are not in the league very long at all.

Sorry, no sympathy here. So what if some overall marginally talented guy plays in the NFL for 3 years and makes $1.2 mil and tears up his knee? Are we forgetting that he also had a full-boat 4 year scholarship to some major university? What the hell did he do while he was there? If he was smart he studied something usefull so just in case the football thing didn't work out he would have something to fall back on. If he chose to not take advantage of that free ride (and yes, that would be a choice) I can't think of anything to say other than tough $h!t.
But that's just my opinion.....and I could be wrong.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline jbald

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 08:06:16 PM »
Proud member of the Black & Gold!   WHO DAT!
Sucess is more permanent when principles are not compromised to achieve it.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2011, 06:48:21 AM »
Proud member of the Black & Gold!   WHO DAT!
O0  Who woulda thought, South Dakota!  Truly the Who Dat Nation!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #18 on: September 12, 2011, 09:29:42 AM »
It is an incredible day to be a Ravens fan......................
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline philp

• Sly
    • Young Hair Loss
« Reply #19 on: September 24, 2011, 07:51:20 PM »
Ravens and Steelers both make me ill, but if I have to choose I would definitely pull for the Ravens. AFC north is looking crazy right now. Things will probably settle in a few weeks from now and the browns will be back in the cellar...