Author Topic: It's mid-October so....  (Read 4258 times)

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
It's mid-October so....
« on: October 14, 2011, 07:25:03 AM »
I'm now on day 4 of this winter's beard.  From my count this will be my 30th winter beard -my first one was the wnter of 1981/82 when I transferred to a college in Maine.  Haven't gone bare-faced in the winter since then.    Plan on going with the full beard since I like the look and hated trying to maintain the goatee whenI tried that for a bit early last spring. Switching the avatar back to one from last winter- sly and bearded.

Did consider growing out the hair for a bit of a switch up ....made it until the evening of day 3 before I gave in to my razor's call...

TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Re: It's mid-October so....
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2011, 07:27:15 AM »
I sometimes grow a full beard in the winter too, but I find they make my chin and cheeks sweat a lot, even when its really cold outside. Plus Im still not sure I like the full beard and bald look.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2011, 07:31:48 AM »
Switching the avatar back to one from last winter- sly and bearded.

Wow, that look definitely suits you.

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2011, 07:33:08 AM »
yes, it suits :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2011, 07:42:57 AM »
It looks good!  Keep going.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2011, 07:44:39 AM »
I think the  sly and bearded look really depends on facial structure and how you end the tops of what would normally be considered the sideburns.  They are fairly grey in my case and I frequently thin them down a bit as they go higher. Beard always stays pretty short - maybe a 3 on my clipper - and the sides drop to a 2 then a 1.  Also, I've found that the best way to establish the point where it completely ends is to put my glasses on and use the line of the temple bar as the end point.

It works for me and I like the look - and that's what's most important.  Thanks for the affirmation guys.
TJ

[/url]

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2011, 08:30:44 AM »
Looks great and similar to what I sport in the winters.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:48:29 AM »
Looks good, but for some reason I may be predisposed to liking that look :D

I don't think I would like shaving my fur off then growing it again--the 2-5 week growing period is very scruffy for me--not something I like to look like.

I would like to grow mine out a little more for length but when I do waves start showing up and it looks weird. 

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 08:51:17 AM »
Thinking about letting the face fur grow-in here as well
MikeC

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 09:05:30 AM »
The avatar was taken last winter.  Doesn't take me too long to get past the scruffy stage, fills in fairly quickly and looks presentable after a week to ten days.  I look forward to the change - by the time Easter arrives I'm ready for the change and the same thing in the fall.
TJ

[/url]

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 09:17:16 AM »
Is there a trick to get by that itchy irritating stage or is it just bite the bullet time.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2011, 09:35:52 AM »
I guess I've gotten used to that phase over the years.  In the past I've slathered on the hair conditioner - especially a leave on type - and that has soften it up considerably. 
TJ

[/url]

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2011, 10:07:10 AM »
I think the  sly and bearded look really depends on facial structure and how you end the tops of what would normally be considered the sideburns.  They are fairly grey in my case and I frequently thin them down a bit as they go higher. Beard always stays pretty short - maybe a 3 on my clipper - and the sides drop to a 2 then a 1.  Also, I've found that the best way to establish the point where it completely ends is to put my glasses on and use the line of the temple bar as the end point.

It works for me and I like the look - and that's what's most important.  Thanks for the affirmation guys.

Thats very good advice. I think thats always been my problem with beard/bald...for me, I have in my mind that a beard should be attached to a man's hair by way of his sideburns, and I think thats why I find it difficult to like a full beard on myself, but I like the way you do it so I might well give it a try. I havent shaved my face in 4 days anyway so maybe its a good time to just let it grow.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2011, 10:47:53 AM »
I guess I've gotten used to that phase over the years.  In the past I've slathered on the hair conditioner - especially a leave on type - and that has soften it up considerably. 

Thanks.

Slynito

« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2011, 11:54:45 AM »
I remember that I used some Nivea lotion on my itchy neck, but it has been many, many years ago.
 O0