Author Topic: Attention all foodies. Your attention please.  (Read 854 times)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
Attention all foodies. Your attention please.
« on: October 07, 2011, 12:04:37 PM »
If you were, um, fortunate enough to be visiting jolly olde worlde England for your vacation this year, and you happened to be in the vicinity of this fine dining establishment, what would be your viewpoint of its menu? Not the food (obviously, because you havent eaten there), but if you sat down at a table and one of the olde worlde serving wenches handed you the menu, what would you think of the selection of food and the price? Bear in mind the prices are in olde worlde poundse, and that you have to multiply them by 1.57 to get the US dollar price.

http://www.tummies.net/dinner.htm
« Last Edit: October 07, 2011, 12:09:14 PM by Chavster »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Attention all foodies. Your attention please.
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2011, 12:26:38 PM »
It's got an odd twist in the menu, the traditional European stuff with the oriental overtone.  That can work sometimes, but sometimes the oriental flavors and wine just don't work.  The "Cajun" stuff really makes me think this blackened BS is too far out of hand.  I have rarely enjoyed fish "blackened" because it overcooks the fish and if the seasoning isn't just right the effect can be like eating cooked spice on a piece of cardboard.  Paul Prudhomme is a wonderfully creative person but it's a style of Louisiana cooking that he, not Louisiana, developed.  It's not easy to do.
The prices are about what I'd expect there since food costs there are generally higher than here.  The thing that always causes me to wonder is if the restaurant has a very extensive menu--I've never found that to be indicative of a really top quality place because it just isn't possible to handle that many dishes and do all of them in a first class manner.  The better restaurants here have a printed menu that changes according to season and the availability of fresh ingredients--that menu implies that they have all this product available at all times--that could mean less than perfect fixings.  It might not but I'd be wary. 
But, I'd be glad to sit down and try it--the price of the single malt is a deal.  I don't know what the retail prices of the wines are but generally here the restaurant price is between three to as high as six times retail.  I much prefer a place that has a reasonable corkage and I can bring my own.