Author Topic: A question about Merkur razors  (Read 13672 times)

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
Re: A question about Merkur razors
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 08:55:43 PM »

For the record I am not knocking what others use to groom themselves. I just found what works for me, and will recommend it. So please don't take what I am posting as an attack or criticism. Each to their own. Peace.

I'm not taking it as an attack or criticism at all.  As we said before, whatever works.

I know. I just put that out a general disclaimer. I appreciate your help with other subjects.  :)

Slynito

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 09:01:22 PM »
Yep, there was a knob on the handle that was supposed to adjust for the type of beard that you had. I kept mine on "9"...like I said it was an upgrade. Wikipedia has a picture of one.

O0

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2011, 01:16:51 AM »
Wow, thank you all :) Extremely informative.

I've had a bit of a crappy week, so yesterday morning I made an appointment with a male grooming/barbershop type place in London for today. I checked and they use Merkur razors, so if I can keep my eyes open (and my heart beating), I'm going to try to watch how they do it. So I'm getting a head shave, face shave, face massage and body massage, all for the princely sum of £155 (which is around 240 of your yankee doodle dollars :)), and hopefully I'll come back with my head looking like a boiled egg (after the shell has been removed, obviously).

I dont usually spend that type of money on myself but I'm a little down in the dumps and I need a pick-me-up, so wish me luck as you wave me goodbye :D I'll let you know how it goes.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2011, 07:49:37 AM »
Yep, there was a knob on the handle that was supposed to adjust for the type of beard that you had. I kept mine on "9"...like I said it was an upgrade. Wikipedia has a picture of one.

O0

Ok I know what your talking about now. Do you still shave with those types of razors?

Slynito

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2011, 09:07:26 AM »
After my old Norelco couldn't hack the job I sprung for a Panasonic and have never looked back. They are the best for buzzin', but when I want it super close I use the cold steal of a Fusion. My latest Panny is the "Lima Alpha 63" and it is the best by far of the 3 I've owned. Pannys Rock!   Right on!

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2011, 01:18:28 PM »

For the record I am not knocking what others use to groom themselves. I just found what works for me, and will recommend it. So please don't take what I am posting as an attack or criticism. Each to their own. Peace.

I'm not taking it as an attack or criticism at all.  As we said before, whatever works.

Your alright. I enjoy your posts.

Offline J.J.

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2011, 03:47:25 PM »
I dont usually spend that type of money on myself but I'm a little down in the dumps and I need a pick-me-up, so wish me luck as you wave me goodbye :D I'll let you know how it goes.

Sorry to hear you've been feeling down; I hope the pick-me-up worked!

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2011, 03:52:17 PM »
Yeah it was pretty good thanks, and I did indeed come away from there with a head like a boiled egg :)

Face shave first, then head shave, then head massage, then body massage. I wasnt sure about having the body massage because its not really my thing, but he talked me into it and I was pleased he did.

It was all done around 9 hours ago and amazingly enough, my head is still in boiled egg mode.

He's a guy from the middle east who owns a restaurant in London, but until recently he spent his life as a barber and masseur, and he certainly knew what he was doing. He has a bedroom in his house filled with barber stuff, and you'd think you were in an old fashioned barber shop. If I can scrape the pennies together, I might just treat myself again around Christmas time :D