Author Topic: Growing a goatee  (Read 18418 times)

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Growing a goatee
« Reply #30 on: September 09, 2011, 03:13:44 PM »

Many years ago, I used to work for a major American hotel corporation, and no matter whether you worked in the basement plucking chickens, or you were a general manager of the hotel, all facial hair was totally unacceptable.

So why did the hotel chain hire people to pluck chickens in the basement?   :D

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #31 on: September 09, 2011, 03:15:26 PM »
Because the first floor was full of turkey pluckers :D

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #32 on: September 09, 2011, 06:02:05 PM »
Sorry so many people got offended by my comment  ::)

The goatee is alright for older men, it's just not very common for the younger generation and if you grow one in my city you get put into a lot of subcategories. Homely, pedophile, trailer trash, sleazy, and who knows what else they say when you aren't around  ??? I don't make this crap up, just the way it is for a 20something to grow one. Maybe it's an individuality thing, who knows. I don't mind them, just wouldn't grow one myself because there are so many different options.

As for beard team usa, they are cool people. Check them out on the show Whisker Wars on OnDemand :)

So whats the average IQ of the people in your town?

Offline Peacemaker

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #33 on: September 09, 2011, 09:44:00 PM »
Well there is the hollywoodian, ducktail, fu manchu, old dutch, dali, handlebar and chin puff, balbo, the zappa, soul patch, anchor, napoleon. All of which work acceptable  O0  there is also the petit goatee and handlebar and goatee.

Not trying to tell anyone off either, a little offended by that remark. Just a conversation about facial hair, something I'm passionate about, sorry you thought any differently.

Maybe it's because I live in a hippie filled state with tons of liberals and activist that it's just more relaxed and accepted in working environments here, who knows.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #34 on: September 09, 2011, 09:57:54 PM »

Not trying to tell anyone off either, a little offended by that remark. Just a conversation about facial hair, something I'm passionate about, sorry you thought any differently.

Dude, when you come onto a site and use terms like "sleazy", "homely", "pedophile", "trailer trash", "sleazy", "dorky", and "old school" to describe a popular beard style -- which you are well aware many people here wear by looking at the avatar photos -- you have to expect a little push back.

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #35 on: September 09, 2011, 10:11:45 PM »
I agree with Razor X -- the words you have used are not "just conversation" -- they're more like "pushing buttons". You may want to rethink your interaction style.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #36 on: September 10, 2011, 12:51:13 AM »
Just a conversation about facial hair, something I'm passionate about, sorry you thought any differently

Why wouldnt we think any differently? A conversation is one thing but being blatantly offensive is another.

Being passionate doesnt give you carte blanche to insult an entire group of men intentionally, or even unintentionally. You're young, but even at your tender years, you should know better.

I dont know you personally, but I would bet both of my arms and my left eyeball on the fact that if you were to meet the men on this site who wear a goatee (and I'm talking about in person, in the flesh), you would not say "goatees are dorky and old school", and you certainly wouldnt go on to say "gee, where I come from, lots of people would think you're a pedo / trailer trash / etc", so why do you think its ok to insult a group of men from behind the sanctuary of your computer screen? The term 'keyboard warrior' springs to mind.

All of us here are 'passionate' about at least one aspect of our appearance, which is why many of us took the trouble to sign up for this board, and why several of us visit it every day to discuss that passion, but that doesnt give any of us the right to insult or belittle. In one way or another, we're all in the same boat, and thats how brotherhoods and friendships are forged.

I found your remarks highly offensive, and frankly, the more you say, the more offensive they seem to become. Defending indefensible comments is never a clever idea. Hopefully, other men on this board wont have taken your comments so seriously, because when I look around, I see a group of men who are equally as passionate about their own look as you might be about facial hair, but what I dont see is anyone who deserves to be so uncaringly insulted about their appearance.

I'd love to look as dorky, as trailer trashy, as homely and as pedoish as some of the guys on this forum. They have my admiration, big time. You dont need to show them admiration, but if you cant show a modicum of respect, why are you here?

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #37 on: September 10, 2011, 08:03:20 AM »
Well there is the hollywoodian, ducktail, fu manchu, old dutch, dali, handlebar and chin puff, balbo, the zappa, soul patch, anchor, napoleon. All of which work acceptable  O0  there is also the petit goatee and handlebar and goatee.

Maybe it's because I live in a hippie filled state with tons of liberals and activist that it's just more relaxed and accepted in working environments here, who knows.

Your posts come off as being immature, and offensive. I don't really give a damn if someone thinks my goatee is dorky, and quite frankly I don't recall the 90's being all that bad. I can be somewhat of a dork, and I am proud of it. This forum has men and some women from all walks of life, different lifestyles, cultures, hobbies etc. You might want to rethink your approach and mellow on the trash talking.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2011, 08:05:05 AM by Grizzly907 »

Offline Peacemaker

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #38 on: September 10, 2011, 05:49:12 PM »

Dude, when you come onto a site and use terms like "sleazy", "homely", "pedophile", "trailer trash", "sleazy", "dorky", and "old school" to describe a popular beard style -- which you are well aware many people here wear by looking at the avatar photos -- you have to expect a little push back.

Stop getting upset and re-read my post, those are remarks from other people. I was telling you what THEY say, not what I say.

Offline aarrggh

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #39 on: September 10, 2011, 06:02:31 PM »
  WELCOME  0#

Enter your email address: