Author Topic: Growing a goatee  (Read 18448 times)

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Growing a goatee
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2011, 10:25:38 AM »
p.s. how do you guys over there spell the thing we spell 'moustache'. Mustache?
Apparently either is correct--a little more "uptown" to use the "o" I guess :D
Another situation, if the Brits use the "O" as the proper or preferred spelling of George Bernard Shaw's line, "England and America are two countries divided by a common language."

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2011, 10:28:42 AM »
Goatees are not out at all--in fact facial hair in all varieties, full, "mountain man" long and short goatees abound around here and most places I travel in the states. 

They are out of favor at the moment with the younger crowd, but most of us who are past that age aren't, for the most part, chasing those same trends.  At least I hope not.  I still see plenty of goatees on a daily basis, but they're almost always worn by guys over 30.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   ;)

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2011, 10:32:52 AM »
Another situation, if the Brits use the "O" as the proper or preferred spelling of George Bernard Shaw's line, "England and America are two countries divided by a common language."

By a common language and also food. If any of you could FedEx some real food over to me, I'd be eternally grateful. A filet mignon, a baked potato (Idaho russet preferably), or even just some real corn chips.

:(

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2011, 10:34:10 AM »
Goatees are not out at all--in fact facial hair in all varieties, full, "mountain man" long and short goatees abound around here and most places I travel in the states. 

They are out of favor at the moment with the younger crowd, but most of us who are past that age aren't, for the most part, chasing those same trends.  At least I hope not.  I still see plenty of goatees on a daily basis, but they're almost always worn by guys over 30.  Not that there's anything wrong with that.   ;)

Amen to that.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2011, 10:34:39 AM »

By a common language and also food. If any of you could FedEx some real food over to me, I'd be eternally grateful. A filet mignon, a baked potato (Idaho russet preferably), or even just some real corn chips.

:(

STill craving American cuisine after 30 years?

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2011, 10:41:57 AM »

You have NO idea.

By nature, I'm not a huge meat eater, but I cannot eat meat in the UK at all, ever, and when I get a craving for meat (and its usually beef), I just have to go without. There are so many types of food I cant get here, its unbelievable.

Sad but true fact: the baggage allowance between here and the US on British Airways is 2 bags, each weighing 51lbs. When I go to America, I half fill one suitcase with clothes or whatever, and the other case-and-a-half are empty. Coming back, that case-and-a-half is stuffed with food. As long as its not fresh meat or vegetables, I can bring back more or less whatever I like.

My next trip is in early December, and I swear to God, I'll leave the airport and head to the first place that serves steak. I dont care where it is. Outback Steakhouse / Sizzler / Ponderosa/ Ruths Chris, here I come.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2011, 10:58:29 AM »
I cannot eat meat in the UK at all, ever, and when I get a craving for meat (and its usually beef), I just have to go without.

British beef, lamb, etc. were the victim of the common market--prior to that the meat was excellent--Simpson's on the Strand before and after the EU are totally different restaurants regarding the meats. The same is true for the fish.   Now, for produce, I could just eat the peas when they're in season in England they're that good.  I remember being told that the English didn't 'sauce" their food, it didn't need it.  That was true before the EU, not after.  "American" style cooking, hamburgers in particular--are, except for shape--totally without relationship to the real thing.  Funny though, the French and Italian food didn't decline to the same degree.  Except, for the price, they've remained very good.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2011, 11:20:11 AM »

You have NO idea.

By nature, I'm not a huge meat eater, but I cannot eat meat in the UK at all, ever, and when I get a craving for meat (and its usually beef), I just have to go without. There are so many types of food I cant get here, its unbelievable.

Sad but true fact: the baggage allowance between here and the US on British Airways is 2 bags, each weighing 51lbs. When I go to America, I half fill one suitcase with clothes or whatever, and the other case-and-a-half are empty. Coming back, that case-and-a-half is stuffed with food. As long as its not fresh meat or vegetables, I can bring back more or less whatever I like.

My next trip is in early December, and I swear to God, I'll leave the airport and head to the first place that serves steak. I dont care where it is. Outback Steakhouse / Sizzler / Ponderosa/ Ruths Chris, here I come.

If you land in NYC go strait to Gallagher's Steak House right off Times Square.

Offline rfn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2011, 11:34:37 AM »

I'm one of very few men under 30 (that I know of) who has a goatee.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2011, 11:39:21 AM »
I cannot eat meat in the UK at all, ever, and when I get a craving for meat (and its usually beef), I just have to go without.

British beef, lamb, etc. were the victim of the common market--prior to that the meat was excellent--Simpson's on the Strand before and after the EU are totally different restaurants regarding the meats. The same is true for the fish.   Now, for produce, I could just eat the peas when they're in season in England they're that good.  I remember being told that the English didn't 'sauce" their food, it didn't need it.  That was true before the EU, not after.  "American" style cooking, hamburgers in particular--are, except for shape--totally without relationship to the real thing.  Funny though, the French and Italian food didn't decline to the same degree.  Except, for the price, they've remained very good.

You got that right. The EU caused a massive decline in food quality.

I live in a town of 35,000 people. We have 6 supermarkets, all of which are owned by the same company, so choice/competition is non-existent, as is food quality. I can buy a (very) limited selection of American store-cupboard items at a supermarket around 40 minutes away which is owned by Walmart, but apart from that, I live on pasta (almost literally). As for restauarants, we have an Indian restaurant, a Bangladeshi restaurant, a Dominos and a Burger King.

I'll stick with pasta.

However, as you alluded to, drive over to France (which is around a 90-100 minute drive from my house if I put my foot down), and the food is MUCH higher quality generally speaking, at a much lower cost.

If you land in NYC go strait to Gallagher's Steak House right off Times Square.

Yeah I know it. There was also a place near Macy's on Herald Square which was good too, but I cant remember what that was called. Home for me is Las Vegas though, so thats where I'll be heading. There's a Smith & Wollenskys on the Strip and a Ruths Chris about 10 minutes from the strip, plus a ton of independent steak places out in the boonies so I'll be heading to one of those.

I like the UK a lot (rather than love it). You have to admire any country that could build such a massive and successful empire, and I think the people here are in a class of their own, but the food seriously sucks IMO.

Offline JesseN

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2011, 12:11:25 PM »
Does anyone know if henna really works to blend away gray facial hair? I saw some ads online and am thinking of ordering some.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2011, 12:14:31 PM »
Pure henna will do nothing apart from turn your beard deep red. What type of henna product is it?

Offline Peacemaker

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #27 on: September 09, 2011, 01:53:51 PM »
Sorry so many people got offended by my comment  ::)

The goatee is alright for older men, it's just not very common for the younger generation and if you grow one in my city you get put into a lot of subcategories. Homely, pedophile, trailer trash, sleazy, and who knows what else they say when you aren't around  ??? I don't make this crap up, just the way it is for a 20something to grow one. Maybe it's an individuality thing, who knows. I don't mind them, just wouldn't grow one myself because there are so many different options.

As for beard team usa, they are cool people. Check them out on the show Whisker Wars on OnDemand :)
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:55:45 PM by Peacemaker »

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 02:01:15 PM »
There aren't as many viable alternatives as you might think.  If you're in the business world, anything that is too avant garde is pretty much off limits.  The choices are pretty much limited to goatees, full beards, or moustaches.  I've never seen a chinstrap beard or any kind of beard-with-no-moustache style in the professional world.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #29 on: September 09, 2011, 02:10:48 PM »
Homely, pedophile, trailer trash, sleazy, and who knows what else they say when you aren't around

Gee, how pleased am I that I dont live in WA??

I don't mind them, just wouldn't grow one myself because there are so many different options.

Such as?

If you look at the corporate world (and this pretty much applies globally), unless you have a neatly trimmed beard, tache or goatee, then you're not really welcome. And there's only so many ways you can have a neatly trimmed beard, tache or goatee. Many years ago, I used to work for a major American hotel corporation, and no matter whether you worked in the basement plucking chickens, or you were a general manager of the hotel, all facial hair was totally unacceptable. Thankfully things have changed, but even now, you couldn't work on the front desk sporting a rainbow-coloured walrus moustache (mustache) fashioned into dreadlocks. Thankfully.

Anyway, to be completely honest (and you're all welcome to tell me off), I'm not overly keen on facial hair on young guys, and when I say young, I'm talking under 25-30. Just my own personal preference, not that my personal preference should dictate what anyone else does, obviously.