Author Topic: Growing a goatee  (Read 18434 times)

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
Growing a goatee
« on: September 08, 2011, 04:00:33 PM »
Any tips on growing a nice looking goatee that isn't too big or too small. Thanks

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Growing a goatee
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2011, 04:01:19 PM »
Stop shaving your upper lip and chin and wait about a month.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2011, 04:08:05 PM »
Stop shaving your upper lip and chin and wait about a month.

I have one already. I am going to lop it off and start fresh. Ill let it grow a little wider. It will take about two weeks. I grow hair fast lol. What setting do you trim yours at on the trimmer if I may ask?

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2011, 05:14:15 PM »
#4 on the coated and# 3 on the mustache.  Don't shave it all off, just let it get a little wider. It wil be a faster process.

Offline Peacemaker

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2011, 07:30:09 PM »
The 90's called, they want their goatee back. Seriously though as a member of Beard Team USA I can tell you it all depends on the shape of your head. You don't want a goatee if you have a round face, try a longer beard to make your face look longer and slimmer. There are so many different types for different shaped heads. Something that looks good on one person won't look good on the other.  Goatees are pretty old school though and seem pretty dorky.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2011, 07:48:26 PM »
Goatees will never go out of style.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2011, 08:20:12 PM »
Goatees are pretty old school though and seem pretty dorky.

Sez who?   :Xo!

You'll find out one day that what is really dorky is constantly chasing the latest trend simply because people who are 10 or more years younger than you are doing it.   ;)
« Last Edit: September 08, 2011, 08:24:34 PM by Razor X »

Offline Peacemaker

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2011, 08:41:51 PM »

Sez who?   :Xo!

You'll find out one day that what is really dorky is constantly chasing the latest trend simply because people who are 10 or more years younger than you are doing it.   ;)

I hear what you're saying, I still dig skinny ties and plaid  :@`

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: September 09, 2011, 01:16:54 AM »

Hmmm. If you'll pardon me for saying so, thats probably not the wisest of things to say on a forum where a large percentage of the users have a goatee. Free speech is one thing, and expression of thought is one thing. Tact is another.

FWIW, from my own perspective, I dont give a flying you-know-what about whether they're dorky or hip. I have a goatee because (perhaps mistakenly), I think it improves my appearance, and because I like the way it looks (and feels), and because it makes me feel good. I like grooming it, I like nurturing it. Unfortunately I cant say what its done for my sex life (if anything) because my memory doesn't go back that far.

And at running the risk of paying yet another man yet another compliment, if you take a look at Razor X - who is, IMO, incredibly handsome and sporting one of the best goatees I've seen - could you actually call his look, or his goatee, 'old school' or 'dorky'?. I dont see much wrong with Grizzly either, or any of the other guys wearing a goatee. Myself included.

I have zero idea what Beard Team USA is, but perhaps you should reconsider your level of membership. And if you still like skinny ties and plaid, then I'm sure the Laverne & Shirley forum would welcome you with open arms, just as this forum does.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2011, 01:26:22 AM by GSGUK »

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 10:00:30 AM »
Well here you go.............   http://beardteamusa.org/

Yeah... those guys on the opening page of that website certainly look so much better with their 1909 mustaches than we do with our goatees. What was I thinking???? I need to get to Wally World and get some mustache wax apparently. HA!!!!

If you think goatees are out you need to look around. A LOT of men are wearing them these days.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 10:01:59 AM »
And if you still like skinny ties and plaid, then I'm sure the Laverne & Shirley forum would welcome you with open arms, just as this forum does.

Now that's funny!!  :*)) :*)) O0

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2011, 10:06:36 AM »
Goatees are not out at all--in fact facial hair in all varieties, full, "mountain man" long and short goatees abound around here and most places I travel in the states.  I think goatees are particularly popular because many guys who don't have the general density to do a really nice full beard whether long or trimmed up neatly opt for a goatee because more guys have the density concentrated in that area.  With the smooth scalp it helps avoid an appearance of "too much skin!" :D

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2011, 10:13:26 AM »
OMG, they could have used some better pictures for their home page. Most of those guys look like they're waiting for a role in the next Sherlock Holmes movie.

What I have, which is technically a Van Dyke rather than a goatee, is certainly not out of fashion, here there or anywhere. The amount of men I see wearing them is astronomical. I travel a lot, and no matter where I go, I see plenty of them.

Sherlock Holmes moustaches on the other hand, they're probably a little more rare :)

p.s. how do you guys over there spell the thing we spell 'moustache'. Mustache?

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2011, 10:18:02 AM »
From dictionary.com....

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/mustache

Apparently either is correct.

Offline Chavster

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau