Author Topic: Going bald... and the insecurities that go with it  (Read 18058 times)

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
Re: Going bald... and the insecurities that go with it
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2011, 08:53:46 AM »
It looks like very few people have perfect heads

and all the rest are covered with hair!
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 10:47:48 AM »
I went to the barbershop and got a much shorter cut.  The back of my head isn't quite as bad as I thought, so I might go a little bit shorter next time (although I can't see myself going completely sly any time soon).  It's definitely easier to maintain and it looks much better than it did before. 

We all worry about the shapes of our heads only to find out that they're fine.  My advice is to go shorter until you find the length you like the most.  I'll warn you though that once you get close to being completely sly, curiosity will drive you to try it.  If you don't like it, you can go back to the look you liked best pretty quickly.

Offline rfn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2011, 12:57:17 PM »
Hi Gentlemen

I'm back, and I've finally gotten around to uploading a profile picture.  My balding dome is currently buzzed to a six on top and a two on the sides.  I like it, and I would've liked to go shorter, but that darned dent (attached) is still messing with my head (pun intended).  I really don't want to look like a freak, but like someone told me, it's there now and it's going to be there if my hair is gone, so I just have to make peace with it.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2011, 01:21:37 PM »
Go for it  - -you may like it  - - -and remember  - -it grows back if you do not like it  - - - -

Most of us do not have that choice  - - - -

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2011, 06:55:08 AM »
Looks good so far. You can try shorter next time to see how you like it. I personally couldn't drag it out.  I decided the hair situation wasn't looking good so I picked a day and shaved it off without telling anyone.  Then I joined this site to share my positive feeling  Then the shock/positive reactions started rolling in as I saw people and acted like there was nothing different about me.

Do whatever makes you feel good about yourself and don't let your hair get you down. I really think you're going to look good if you shave it. You will just have to get used to it.

Keep us posted.

Offline Tyler

• The Count of Sly
  • Administrator
  • Sly Nobility
    • SILIST - Smitty's Information List
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2011, 03:11:26 PM »
EVERYONE that tries the 30 day rule comes out of it wondering why they didn't shave their head sooner.  You won't be any different then the rest.  Shave it for 30 days straight.
People are not limited by the circumstance that they are born in. They are limited by the size of their dreams. Show them that their dreams can have no limits and in turn their accomplishments can be limitless.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2011, 03:16:48 PM »
You could be surprised--I take it the darker "line" is the indentation that worries you.  Without the hair to highlight the issue, it won't be noticable unless they're right up on you, and how many people are that close to you looking at the side of your head anyway?

Offline kalbo

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2011, 09:31:12 PM »
Once you decide to shave everything off, the dent, if it really is that noticeable, will give your head its uniqueness and character. Good luck.
Mabuhay ang mga kalbo!

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2011, 11:02:27 PM »
You can have a dermatologist inject under the skin a product called Juvaderm, basically a facial filler used to fill in laugh lines etc. It lasts for about year then has to be done again. That would "erase" the dent by filling in the skin and plumping it up over the skull dent.

Offline valldo

• Sly
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2011, 04:56:42 AM »
I would encourage you to go all the way. At least give it a try and even if you don't like it at first stick with it and shave it off again....remember that you are in control and you can always let it grow back

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2011, 09:36:34 PM »
Hi rfn,

Welcome to Sly Bald Guys. You have gotten lots of good advice here.

I would recommend doing so in stages. Once You go sly. GIve the look 30 days. If You don't like it, it will grow back to little lionger length that You are comfortable with.

Good luck to You in your decision.

Offline rfn

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 03:47:13 AM »
Gentlemen, thank for all your support.  This really is an awesome forum.

@kalbo, I've never heard about Juvaderm before.  I've researched more permanent alternatives, but they are incredibly expensive.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:36:30 AM by rfn »

Offline chgobuzzbald

• Super Sly
  • No more HT scars
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2011, 10:09:01 PM »
Do check out Juvaderm because it might be an easy and inexpensive solution. Just find a doctor with the experience to inject it under the skin correctly. Maybe buzz down to a no. 1 before you see the doctor so he/she can understand your goal in filling up the "dent" with the haircut as if that is your normal haircut. The doctor might otherwise just say to grow longer hair.