Author Topic: Can anyone help? My scalp is itching intensely!  (Read 11228 times)

Offline VicMackey

• Learning the way of Sly
Can anyone help? My scalp is itching intensely!
« on: January 22, 2010, 02:26:03 AM »
Hey Everyone! I'm new and I have a problem. I'll start with a background of my head shaving. I've been shaving my head for about 2.5 years. I use a Gillette Fusion on the top and headblade on the sides, with headblade shaving cream. I shave about every other day. I've never had this problem until around November when it started to get cold and dry out(although I didn't have the problem last winter). My head feels fine, and I have no problems until I start to get hot, such as going to the gym. At that point, my scalp starts to itch intensely. It starts as soon as my body temperature begins to rise and itches all over. It quits as soon as I cool down. I've tried multiple lotions and T-gel, with no relief. It's bad enough that I've almost quit going to the gym altogether. Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: Can anyone help? My scalp is itching intensely!
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2010, 04:54:58 AM »
Welcome to the Forum Vic!

I alternate between using BaldGuyz Moisturizing Gel & Nivea Extreme After Shave Balm....... maybe give them a try?
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2010, 07:02:12 AM »
Hi Vic,
I think Koz might be right. Maybe change up the products you use. If you've been shaving for 2.5 yrs without issue before, maybe look to when it started happening to see if your routine differed from prior years? I know what's being suggested is a trial & error kinda thing, but that may be the best (and least expensive) way to go about it.

I know I've gotten complete relief from a bad scalp condition as a result of going sly. Every once in a while, I get a little scalp itch in the winter. When that happens, I apply a little Aloe Vera After Sun Lotion (generic Walgreens brand). http://www.walgreens.com/store/catalog/Burn-Care/Aloe-Vera-After-Sun-Body-Lotion/ID=prod5398987&navCount=0&navAction=push-product

Good Luck.

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline VicMackey

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2010, 06:25:02 AM »
Thanks guys! I appreciate the welcome and the advice. I'm gonna go pick up the products you suggested this weekend and give them a try. Heck, I'll try anything at this point. I'll try to keep you all posted on how it goes.

hawkeye

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 10:37:05 AM »
I'm one of those people that doesn't just perspire, no I sweat!  A lot.  I find that if I have just used lotion or moisturizer after shaving then do anything that opens the valve to my sweat glands.  The lotion seems to clog the pores and I start to get red and itch.  You might want to look at when you apply your lotions.  You might want to think about after your workout instead of before.

Rich

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2010, 08:03:34 PM »
Welcome to the forum, VicMackey. First of all, I really got a kick from your screen name. Too cool, bro.  O0

Now .... sometimes our bodies just decide to have an adverse reaction to whatever product(s) we've been using for a while. As the guys mentioned, simply changing out the creams and lotions etc from time to time can be a good thing.

I wouldn't mind betting your diet has changed a bit recently, causing your sweat to now react adversely with your lotions etc.

In any case, make sure you are exfoliating your scalp a few times a week, and try some different product. Nivea Sensitive Post Shave Balm is one you may want to try. I recommend it highly.

8)
« Last Edit: January 25, 2010, 12:11:10 AM by ozzie »
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline VicMackey

« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2010, 06:01:05 AM »
Schro, I picked up the aloe vera lotion at walgreens and used it tonight/lastnight at work and so far it's worked very well so thanks for that! I'm going to pick up some of these other products and exfoliate every now and again, i've never really done that. And thanks Ozzie, i'm a police officer, bald and apparently have a huge bald dome so my buddies went ahead and decided Vic Mackey is my new nickname. I appreciate all the advice, i've already had some relief and it's great because it was driving me crazy. The real test will come tomorrow when I hit the gym. Thanks again guys!

Musician000

« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2010, 07:37:57 PM »
I had the same issue. Most of the stuff you all mentioned didn't quite work for me, or did for only a short time. What worked best was Scalpicin. I suppose all of our noggins react differently to it all, but once i started using that about a year ago i haven't had any problems :)

Offline VicMackey

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2010, 01:16:55 AM »
Thanks Musician,
I used the walgreens lotion for a few days and it's helped but I still have the same problem. I picked up a few other items today but if you say Scalpicin worked for you on the same problem, I'll definitely be picking some up. Thanks again everyone!

Offline surfboardnyc

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2010, 06:21:02 AM »
Try to find products without alcohol or fragrance/preservatives.  Alcohol dries out your skin and a lot of people are allergic to fragrance or preservatives.  My dermatologist gave me a shampoo called "Nizoral", which I used for a while but I don't need it anymore now.   I use Kiehl's "non-detergent cleanser" instead of shampoo and Kiehl's "facial fuel" as aftershave.

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2010, 08:57:16 AM »
I hear that Scalpicin works wonders.

Offline mangosink12572

• Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • Wonderful SHINY BALD
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2010, 12:52:42 PM »
I have had the same problem  - - -I use Psoriaflora cream  - -you get it in a health food store  - -whatever it is  - -it is natural - -  It worked for me  - -worth trying  - - -Good luck - - -

Offline namratasnv

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2010, 08:20:02 AM »
I think may be it is due to sun rays which is causing such problem, it is better to use some good lotion for this.

Thanks

Offline charlesroland

« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2011, 01:05:45 AM »
Scalp Itching is really ridiculous and intolerable. It cam cause to other problem of hair...Here are some simple remedies for scalp itching...

1)Boil the neem leaves and then use this water for hair wash
2)Use lemon juice for scalp itching. It also helps in reducing dandruff problem.
Hope these simple itching remedies will help for preventing itching.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2011, 01:09:29 AM by charlesroland »

Enter your email address: