Author Topic: Is it possible to actually be too ugly to go bald?  (Read 25828 times)

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
Re: Is it possible to actually be too ugly to go bald?
« Reply #30 on: August 24, 2011, 05:43:46 AM »
Oh, the 'after' picture looks much better than the 'before' pictures.  Good job.

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #31 on: August 24, 2011, 07:17:34 AM »
Can you be too ugly to go bald?
Uh, no..... look at the picture to the left!  :*))

Congrats!

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #32 on: August 24, 2011, 07:23:05 AM »
You look great.  As others here on the Forum have said, don't worry about people making comments.  If you like the new look, that's all that matters!

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #33 on: August 24, 2011, 01:39:01 PM »
I agree with Schro..................... look at his picture.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #34 on: August 25, 2011, 08:53:34 PM »

Great picture. It really looks great.

Offline PigPen

• Single... and lovin it baby!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #35 on: August 26, 2011, 03:59:36 PM »
Yes! You can rock that look!
In a bacon and eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. BE THE PIG!!!

Offline seanmil666

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »
No.
They are simply trying to control you when telling you stuff about how ugly you would look.
Good for you in having the balls to ignore them.
Looks good.

Offline Rube

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #37 on: August 27, 2011, 03:08:49 PM »
Well the #1 was starting to look kind of scruffy to me, so I buzzed my head again without any guard to see what would happen. I rather like the look (despite the color difference), but all the feedback I've received so far has been incredibly negative; with most of it being about how much I look like a racist. This has me a little paranoid, because I start school on Tuesday and my college has a very high African American population. I know they won't attack me or anything, I'm just worried that they might think I hate them, which is not true. So I don't know, I might let my hair grow back out to a #1. Did you guys get this kind of feedback when you first shaved your heads too?

Here's another picture, btw. Oh, and ignore the big red mark on the top of my forehead. Apparently there's a reason for all those projectile warnings on string trimmers...

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #38 on: August 27, 2011, 03:42:31 PM »
I'd be very surprised if anyone at college judges you and thinks you're a racist because  your head is shaved.  The people who are telling you otherwise are trying to manipulate you.  Don't let them.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #39 on: August 27, 2011, 05:09:50 PM »
I don't think the sly look has anything to do with being racist and I'd really be surprised if you fellow college students feel that way.  I work in an office building with lots of African American people and no one has accused me of being racist.  Many of my African American colleagues sport the sly look as well. 

I'm also surprised that you got lots of negative feedback for shaving it off.  I had one or two negative comments, but the general reaction was positive.

My advice - if you like the sly look, try it at school.  You might find the people there more accepting.  After all, college is supposed to broaden your horizons.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #40 on: August 27, 2011, 06:03:16 PM »
More of the same here.  I live in New Orleans, in the "central city" with at least 40-60% African American residents depending on the neighborhood--and no one absolutely no one has come up with that comment and we have as one of our less admired citizens at times--David Duke, of Klu Klux Klan fame--and a total idiot, but he has hair, might not be his though >:D.  Perhaps Ohio isn't the most diverse area and is, pardon the expression, less cosmopolitan than we are.  We value our diversity--and apparently so does the rest of the entire world--jazz, music, art, food that every person seems to want to experience, Mardi Gras,  etc. are our exports.   I wouldn't listen to the folks that say this--and ask them if they've had any experience outside Ohio.   Live in the bigger world--it's where the action is.  Remember, you can always take your bald head to better places--and more fools they if they lose you.

Offline Rube

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #41 on: August 27, 2011, 06:20:49 PM »
More of the same here.  I live in New Orleans, in the "central city" with at least 40-60% African American residents depending on the neighborhood--and no one absolutely no one has come up with that comment and we have as one of our less admired citizens at times--David Duke, of Klu Klux Klan fame--and a total idiot, but he has hair, might not be his though >:D.  Perhaps Ohio isn't the most diverse area and is, pardon the expression, less cosmopolitan than we are.  We value our diversity--and apparently so does the rest of the entire world--jazz, music, art, food that every person seems to want to experience, Mardi Gras,  etc. are our exports.   I wouldn't listen to the folks that say this--and ask them if they've had any experience outside Ohio.   Live in the bigger world--it's where the action is.  Remember, you can always take your bald head to better places--and more fools they if they lose you.

You make a good point, the area I live in is quite restrictive as far as culture goes. Most guys my age look pretty much the same: polo shirt, khaki shorts, hat on backwards, and an "I'm the greatest thing since Moses" demeanor. So people probably aren't used to seeing a young guy with a shaved head. Most of the people I've seen in the past two days are also much older than myself, and it seems that people from older generations are more likely to view a shaved head as a symbol of racism. Whatever, I'll keep the look for a while and see what happens. It definitely looks better than when I had hair.

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #42 on: August 27, 2011, 06:24:29 PM »
Well the #1 was starting to look kind of scruffy to me, so I buzzed my head again without any guard to see what would happen. I rather like the look (despite the color difference),

I've had the same experience. Really prefer no guard than the #1.  My profile picture is about a #1, but I'm going with no guard right now.  I think your latest picture looks GREAT. You look just like the youth pastor at my church! He shaves nearly bald. 

but all the feedback I've received so far has been incredibly negative; with most of it being about how much I look like a racist. This has me a little paranoid, because I start school on Tuesday and my college has a very high African American population. I know they won't attack me or anything, I'm just worried that they might think I hate them, which is not true. So I don't know, I might let my hair grow back out to a #1. Did you guys get this kind of feedback when you first shaved your heads too?

No one has said a thing about my ultra short hair, except my wife and daughters who were not too crazy about it, but I think they are getting used to it now.

Here's another picture, btw. Oh, and ignore the big red mark on the top of my forehead. Apparently there's a reason for all those projectile warnings on string trimmers...

Funny. Well, not so funny.  Wear goggles!

Offline Rube

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #43 on: August 27, 2011, 06:46:36 PM »
Funny. Well, not so funny.  Wear goggles!

Don't worry, I always do! But of course the little rock would find the area of my face without any protection, and of course even a tiny rock moving at high speeds would be enough to give me a scratch. I wonder if I can get workman's comp for that?  :P

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #44 on: August 27, 2011, 06:54:41 PM »
Few places are more tolerant of individual expression -- particularly in terms of personal appearance -- than college campuses.  You're worrying over nothing.
« Last Edit: August 27, 2011, 06:57:57 PM by Razor X »

Enter your email address: