Author Topic: Also hate hair club!  (Read 4712 times)

Offline Tim1776

• Sly Guy in Training
Also hate hair club!
« on: October 13, 2011, 02:05:26 PM »
I've seen other posts on this subject out there, but I wanted to vent myself and maybe get some encouragement here...

I started losing my hair at 17, and was pretty self-conscious about it through college.  Right around my 24th birthday, I called up Hair Club for a consultation, determined to do something about my rapidly disappearing hair.  As I'm sure you can guess, they came at me hardcore with the sales pitch, telling me that I only had a year or two left before it was gone, and pressed me to sign up right away.  Stupidly, I agreed, as I was desperate for a solution.  I immediately regretted it, but one day led to the next, and I moved and built a new life for myself, which on the whole has been a pretty good one.

Fast forward nearly 10 years, and I realize how much I hate it (and always have).  In the meantime, friends have started losing their hair and shaving their heads, looking just fine doing so.  Those few people who I've confided to (my sister, my ex-girlfriend, etc). have all said how great I look (my girlfriend had no idea, actually).  Still, I can't help but feel like I'm living a lie, and am sick of having a piece of mesh taped and glued to my head!  And I don't want to go through another charade with a woman, having to guess when the right time is to tell her about it!

I guess I'm scared to get rid of it - when I first went, I still had coverage on most of my head (though it was clearly going).  Now, I've got pretty much nothing up top.  I'm a pretty decent looking guy, and wish I had just let it go ten years ago.  Can anybody share their own experiences with this, and maybe give me a little more courage??  I look alright now, but I'm getting to an age where I just don't need this anymore (and honestly, wish I never felt like I did).

Offline seanmil666

• Sly Jr.
Re: Also hate hair club!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2011, 03:08:25 PM »
Sounds like you already made up your mind.
Step 1 : Throw hairpiece in the dumpster.
Step 2 : Buzz hair then shave it.
Step 3 : Smile and wonder why you did not do it 10 years ago.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2011, 03:10:07 PM by seanmil666 »

Offline TheSlyBear

• Opinionated Walrus
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
  • 忍者クマ
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2011, 03:13:02 PM »
I cannot think of better advice.

You know you hate it.
You know you'll look grand without it.

What's the holdup?

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2011, 03:32:07 PM »

Times 2--

Offline warhawk

• sly 4 life
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2011, 07:49:57 PM »
hey tim1776:

1st of all welcome 2 the sly fraternity.  glad that ya joined us.  well... the fellas gave U some good advice.  sounds like U have already made up your mind.  now... all U gotta do is..."just do it".   plain and simple..."just do it".  once one has thoughts of shaving one's dome... then one will never ever B satisfied until the "deed is done".  again, welcome 2 the sly fraternity & keep us posted 2 your road 2 slyness.

WARHAWK O0
Tough times don't last but tough people do!!!

Offline Paul the Headblader

• Sly Bureau
  • They see me rollin' they hatin'
    • My facebook page :)
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2011, 09:10:35 PM »
It's like "go for it"
you won't realise, the diffrence won't be  like ..big :)
be who you are, say what you feel, because those who matter don't mind, and those who mind don't matter

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2011, 09:47:42 PM »

P
I agree just do it. I still have a full head of hair and went for the sly look and I love it.

Offline DAVIS30

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2011, 08:35:58 PM »
I certainly agree with those three steps to freedom.  I'm wondering what you mean when you say you are afraid. What are you afraid of? I know when I did it at the end of August, I was nervous about what people at work would think. My wife already knew I wore one, and was happy to hear I was going to lose the piece and shave it, I figured my family would be supportive as well. Towards the end it really bothered me that I was paying what amounted to another car payment for something that I hated. I actually resented it. I can so agree with the fact that I wish I did it years ago. All that money I could have saved if I just had enough courage to face the people at work without that birds nest on my head. Don't put it off. Seize on the fact that you hate it, and do it before you give yourself another excuse to chicken out. My wife loves the new look, and I have actually noticed more looks from women. Most of all, I like it, took a little getting used to, but I like it.

Offline Acme

• Super Sly
  • Who's the bald guy?
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2011, 10:46:47 PM »
Welcome.

I wouldn't continue to do something I hated if I didn't have to and you do have a choice in this.  I don't think anyone can tape something to their head and enjoy it but feeling the air on a bald head and having other people want to rub it feels great.  When someone asks if they can rub my head I say, "Sure.  You can't mess it up".

Try to give yourself a long weekend and go for it.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2011, 07:05:27 AM »
Just do it!!!  You won't regret it!!! O0

Offline BaldHDbiker

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2011, 10:45:25 AM »
When someone asks if they can rub my head I say, "Sure.  You can't mess it up".

LOL How true! :)

Offline Tim1776

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2011, 07:36:14 AM »
I guess by "afraid" I mean that I've gotten used to looking like this, and it would be a real shock to almost everybody I know - I do look pretty decent with it (now...but that won't last as I get older).  Also, I'm a little worried that the tape they use has been pulling out some of my own hair, which might make my new hairline a little lower.  I can't get around that, no matter how close I shave.

I wish I had found this site before I went to HCM!  It all happened so fast (when I asked what they were going to do to my hair she said, "Uhh, we just cut it shorter" i.e. buzz it off!) - I even waited an extra month after the hair was in, because I was nervous about doing it.  I should have kept waiting forever and accepted myself then!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2011, 07:39:42 AM »
I guess by "afraid" I mean that I've gotten used to looking like this, and it would be a real shock to almost everybody I know

I think you'll be surprised to find that most people won't be shocked at all.  It sounds amazing, but most guys here will tell you that the reactions are usually pretty low-key.

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2011, 08:06:43 AM »
I guess by "afraid" I mean that I've gotten used to looking like this, and it would be a real shock to almost everybody I know

I think you'll be surprised to find that most people won't be shocked at all.  It sounds amazing, but most guys here will tell you that the reactions are usually pretty low-key.
Razor's right.  If you search this site you'll find several guys in the relatively recent past that have ditched the wig and discovered it wasn't such a big deal for others to accept.  Remember you've been the victim for 10 years of constant reinforcement by the wig maker that the rug was "great" and in many ways they wormed their way into your own assessment of your appearance.  If you read the Wikipedia on toupees and wigs you'll even see where the trend in that business is down, guys just aren't doing it anymore.  You will have a period of adjustment, but it's not unpleasant.  To borrow the concept one guy said here once, you're embracing your bald genetics.  At the end of the day, Sly will be a liberating experience in so many ways for you your only question will be, "Why did I wait so long?"