Author Topic: Dyeing your beard  (Read 33399 times)

Offline ShadeSocks

• Sly Guy in Training
Re: Dyeing your beard
« Reply #30 on: December 20, 2010, 02:40:41 AM »
I'd totally go for dyeing my beard some unnatural color.

since my facial hair is black I'd try dyeing the tips like green or teal. Idk. Something cool like that.

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #31 on: December 20, 2010, 08:33:14 PM »
Well, ShadeSocks, for some of us, dark brown on a white/grey beard is an "unnatural" color   :*))
After looking at Marsh's pics, I'm convinced, I need to get me some color"!  :*)) O0
My wife is already calling me "professor" because I look so old (no disrespect meant to those of you who are actual professors  ;)).  I think she gets a kick out of me looking older than her, since she IS the older one.  :Xo!

Offline MarkMusicNYC

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #32 on: December 22, 2010, 04:18:52 PM »
I've done as MarkMusicNYC stated and it has worked .... I use to use JFM and then noticed I can get 10 times as much for the same price if I got the one at the womens shop. I have very bark brown w/mix gray, and use the light to med brown leaving it only a few min. The results are act pretty good leaving just the right amount of gray mixed in with the browns. From what I was told, ones hair is actually different shades so the mixed color looks more natural.... I guess. 

That's absolutely right. Most guys that buy JFM (and there are lots) seem to end up buying a darker shade than they need, which colors all the hair to one uniform color. That's what makes it look so fake--that, and the fact that the darker color doesn't match their eyebrow hair or skin tone. Plus JFM is fairly harsh compared to pro color--it has to be because it needs to work in 5-10 minutes, which is all the time the manufacturer believes a guy will want to leave it in.

Jason, if you want to get rid of all the grey, you can leave the color you're using on longer than the recommended time. That time (15-20 minutes on the demi-perm color I recommended) is designed for head hair, which is much less course and resistant to color than beard hair. Don't be afraid to do that if you want to--the peroxide content is so low, there's no real risk of doing any damage.

Offline lonestaral

• Hair ? Naw, it must be a chick thing !
  • Sly Jr.
  • The incumbent member for the Issan region.
« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2011, 11:13:46 PM »
I put some light brown dye on to change the white in my goatee.
I have mixed feelings about the result.
Each to their own.
If you do not do it you will never know.
It will return to its natural colour with time.
If it looks that bad you can always shave it off and start again.

My wife will be back in under 3 weeks time so i suppose the final decision about the colour will be hers.
She has not seen me with a beard yet so I hope she will like it as I would like to keep it.
To be or not to be ? To put it baldly, yes!

Offline lonestaral

• Hair ? Naw, it must be a chick thing !
  • Sly Jr.
  • The incumbent member for the Issan region.
« Reply #34 on: February 02, 2011, 12:38:41 AM »
Just been having a look at the beard styles available.
It was on the link in the "No shave November" post.

The correct term for my growth is a Van Dyke not a Goatee.
My apologies. I have a lot to learn.

My housekeeper was passing by at the time.
I asked her which one she preferred.
She had a good look and plumped for the Van Dyke.
Might try the Van Dyke with Handlebar.
Looks as if a purchase of mustache wax is on the cards.
To be or not to be ? To put it baldly, yes!

Offline whatsup

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 07:58:44 PM »
I'm a licensed barber that's been dyeing my beard for years now. It can actually look great. Here are the secrets to doing it right:

Realize that this is an old thread, but I wanted to say thanks for your recommendation. Part of my goatee was coming in gray so when I shaved my head, my wife thought it made me look older. She suggested I get rid of the gray in the goatee to make me look a bit younger. I had tried JFM but it caused a lot of irritation for the next several days. I ordered some L'oreal color gel on line and it really tones down the gray without looking overdone.

Offline slybronco

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #36 on: July 21, 2011, 11:34:29 PM »
I say this you are young go with a wild fun color have fun with it. You have the look for it. Besides you don't like it shave it grow it, try it again. Or not.

Offline MikeStern

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2011, 06:30:48 PM »
I'm not so sure that dyed beards always look fake.  I dont do iot myself,  but a couple of friends of mine do & i think it looks pretty natural.   so why not try it with one of the beard dyes now on the market.   and hey,  if you dont like it, shave it off!

Offline mrzed

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Addicted to head shaving.
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2011, 07:53:02 PM »
For April 1 a few years ago, the guys in the office colored their hair. Green. Blue, Pink, ORANGE, Fire engine RED.  What fun.  (it was the wash out type).  We have a fun picture of the guys with all the different hair colors.  Mine was the bright red!

Enter your email address: