Author Topic: Headslick  (Read 2781 times)

Offline FoulBalls

• Sly Jr.
Headslick
« on: July 12, 2011, 01:53:11 AM »
Anyone ever run into this issue...?

I'm getting ready to shave; hot water is on the head and I lube up with my headslick.  I rub it in and work up a nice lather.  I start in the middle and usually work towards my right ear from front to midline, but by the time I'm ready to go back and do the left side most of it has disappeared and now I'm left with a dry-non-lubed left side and back.  It doesn't take me that long either...

Just wondering if this is just me or what (I do have pretty thick hair)?

Any suggestions?  Right now I just reapply water and headslick... kind of a pain in the butt to stop midshave.

Thanks!

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
Re: Headslick
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2011, 04:36:27 AM »
You are right - HeadSlick gives up its moisture pretty fast.  I wet my left hand and rub over the HeadSlick and the lather comes back.  I only reapply it after I've done the first pass and am going to do the second.

Offline CraftyGuy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
    • My Facebook page
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2011, 05:33:10 AM »
Whipping up a bit of the HeadSlick with a shaving brush seems to allow it to retain moisture a little longer - or at least it doesn't seem to dry out as quickly.
MikeC

Offline Titus13

• Bald guy in New York
  • Sly Jr.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2011, 08:20:05 AM »
A shaving brush is the way to go you should be able to fine a cheap one at cvs rite aid duane reade
walmart ec
GI

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 08:29:11 AM »
Make sure you're using enough, about a dime or nickel size dollop should do it. Be sure to rub it in well and it should foam up a bit. I shave in the shower and have never had an issue with it disappearing.

Offline baldjoeg

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Bureau
  • Newport Beach, CA. A great place to be in March.
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2011, 09:14:27 PM »
I always use a shaving brush and wet it first before applying head slick. That seems to work for me.

Offline justinlane

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2011, 10:16:39 PM »
I have also started using a shave brush, and it seems like I can even lather up twice using that, while still having no issues with it disappearing.

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 04:59:52 AM »
Use a brush. It will naturally help to exfoliate your scalp, allow greater lathering of the HS, and you can relather with the brush for a second pass. I shower shave so the HS doesn't dry out, but if it does do as someone else mentioned and give it a couple of drops of water to get it lathered up again.

I have a cheap Wally World brush that costs about $5... works great.
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline Stu

• Sly Bureau
    • Hope is just around the corner...
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 12:28:24 PM »
I have never had any issues with Headslick drying out, and I don't use an excessive amount.  I never wash it off my hand after application.  When I finish front to back shaving, I sprinkle a little extra water on my head and can lather up with what is left on my hand and can easily finish up shaving back to front.  You do have a lot of hair, and if you are not shaving every day (you didn't say), maybe that's the issue.
How is that Hopey / Changey thing working for you?

http://obamaclock.org/

Offline FoulBalls

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 04:25:59 PM »
I'm a daily shaver... I think I just need to live with the fact that I have to re-wet/reapply  :-\

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2011, 05:58:03 PM »
Stu's advice is good - I tried it this afternoon and got a smooth shave.