Author Topic: Do five blades really make a difference?  (Read 9155 times)

Offline Robmeister

• The Duke of SLY
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • I'm not this handsome in real life
Re: Do five blades really make a difference?
« Reply #15 on: August 05, 2011, 11:24:08 PM »
...they surely make a difference to the wallet.

Yeah, they are more expensive.....but--as I've said a few times before on SBG--I've yet to see someone plunged into a downward hellish spiral of bankruptcy and financial ruin by adding those 2 blades to their shave kit.
« Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 11:27:17 PM by Robmeister »

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: August 06, 2011, 09:20:08 AM »
Right now, I'm a Hydro 5 shaver--great shaves, long lasting, easy to use.  Not one nick, not one!  And you can use some pressure--that's a switch. 

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #17 on: August 06, 2011, 07:54:46 PM »
Right now, I'm a Hydro 5 shaver--great shaves, long lasting, easy to use.  Not one nick, not one!  And you can use some pressure--that's a switch.

I've used that once or twice to shave my head. I was impressed with how long my head stayed stubble free. And I too was able to use some pressure with no nicks.
« Last Edit: August 07, 2011, 05:22:52 AM by |Doug| »
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline nicbvd

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2011, 09:05:41 AM »
aham that's why the schick had a familiar look! In Europe the razors are sold under the Wilkinson brand, but unfortunately only up to 4 blades. Crrently I'm using the 3-blades razor and yes, it shaves really well. It's the only razor with a foldable head (many smaller pieces that fit to the profile of the head).

Offline ronthejazzcat

• Sly Jr.
  • Once you go bald, you never go back.
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2011, 10:36:05 AM »
Strangely enough I had to use a Schick Hydro 5 because it was all that I had left (trial pack that I got a while back) until I could get to the store... unfortunately it left a nice red stripe down the top center of my head... OUCH!

Like I said, idk if it's the way I shave or the shape of my head but the Mach 3 is the only thing that doesn't leave battle scars.

I will say that it seems like it really does depend on the person. You just gotta try out razors until you find one that works :)

Happy hunting!

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2011, 11:19:09 AM »
In Europe the razors are sold under the Wilkinson brand, but unfortunately only up to 4 blades.
That is partly incorrect. The Wilkinson Hydro 5 is available at least in Germany and in the UK (iirc).
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline DaleBlankenship

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #21 on: August 17, 2011, 04:13:12 PM »
I switch back and forth between the Mach 3 and Fusion.  I only use the fusion when the blades happen to be on sale when I go to buy new blades.  If they're not on sale, I just get the Mach 3.  The fusion is nicer, but not nice enough to justify the extra money when I'm trying to raise two kids on a tight budget. 

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #22 on: August 21, 2011, 06:41:35 PM »
I've used the Fusion for a few years, and liked the shave I got from it. I never liked the price, however. I recently moved, and it seems I lost my Fusion.  Money is really tight, so I bought a Mach 3 to replace it. It felt the same, and the resulting shave didn't feel any less close to me. I nicked my ear real good, but that's because I was rushing, not the fault of the Mach 3. I'm just as capable of cutting myself with a Fusion. :Xo!

I'll probably stick with Mach 3 for a while. No sense spending more for Fusion if I can't feel any difference. 
Just say no to rugs!

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #23 on: August 24, 2011, 08:15:51 PM »
Well, I've been looking for the M5 since hearing about it, and finally saw it at Rite-Aid. I picked one up yesterday. I've shaved once with the Gillette Mach 3, and once with the Magnum M5. I suppose I should let them break in a bit and compare longevity, but they both shaved my head and face just as well as Fusion. I did note that M5 does seem to drag a bit more than Fusion. Given how much cheaper it is, it sure is tempting to make the M5 my new head shaving tool of choice. I just hope they stick around!
Just say no to rugs!

Offline D-Man

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #24 on: September 06, 2011, 05:39:13 AM »
I've been a dedicated Mach 3 guy for about 8 years now and in all honesty,it's still my blade of choice.I've tried the5 blade systems in the past, but was left with nicks and I found the shave wasn't as comfortable.

Gonna stick with my Mach 3!
Be who you are and say what you feel because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind.

Offline Snakehandler

• Sly
  • Snakehandler
« Reply #25 on: September 06, 2011, 09:32:01 AM »
Yes I thnk 5 blade razors are better than 3. I've tried many 3s over the years. I think the 5s have better lubricating strips & the swiveling heads both provide a closer & smoother shave with less chances of cuts & nicks.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #26 on: September 06, 2011, 10:02:39 AM »
I like the Mach 3 for my beard and the Fusion (5 blade) for my head.  The smaller head of the Mach 3 works better on the contours of my face and neck.  The Fusion gives a great shave on the head and fortunately, I've never gotten nicks or cuts.

Offline theebaldguy

• Sly Penguin
  • Super Sly
« Reply #27 on: September 06, 2011, 04:37:10 PM »
As Ming has said, there sure is a difference in the wallet.

I tried the M5, and after 3 shaves the cartridge is pretty well toast. It's clogged and impossible to rinse the gunk out due to the closeness of the five blades to each other, and the almost closed backside not letting water rinse through very well. No such problem with the Mach 3. I still feel I get the same shave from 3 or 5 blades.
Just say no to rugs!

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #28 on: September 09, 2011, 08:31:37 PM »
For head shaving fusion razors are great. Never had a problem with the actual head shave. They dull too fast and they are expensive.