Author Topic: Double edge safety razors  (Read 14385 times)

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
Re: Double edge safety razors
« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2011, 04:03:53 PM »
Make sure you stock up on toilet paper. (There will be blood).

I respectfully disagree. I use "my nic is sealed," for the occasional nick. I haven't gotten a bad cut yet. You can minimize nics and cuts with proper preparation and shaving technique. I'm sure you are just kidding.  ;D

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2011, 04:14:39 PM »
Nope, not kidding. Back in the day we used little bits and pieces of toilet paper on the nick or two that we might get on occasion.

Offline Grizzly907

• Sly Jr.
  • After a fresh head shave
« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2011, 04:25:06 PM »
Nope, not kidding. Back in the day we used little bits and pieces of toilet paper on the nick or two that we might get on occasion.

I used toilet paper as well when I using the fbtd (Five Bladed Torture Device.) My nic is seal seals the nic, has antiseptic in and aloe. Stings like hell but works.

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2011, 12:44:54 PM »
Dipped my toe into the DE shaving realm. I did my first shave this morning. It wasn't the closest but I know it was due to technique. There was less neck irritation which is why I started it in the first place. There wasn't much blood letting but there again, it was due to technique I'm sure.
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2011, 05:40:09 PM »
I'm thinking about it myself Doug, so this is good to hear. What razor did you get?

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 05:59:00 PM »
Admittedly I went on the cheap side of the spectrum, especially since I'm just starting out. I got one locally from a Sally's Beauty Supply. I also got some Wilkinson blades from Wally World which are suposedly not bad.

Eventually I'd like to get the Mekur mentioned here (http://www.slybaldguys.com/smf/index.php?topic=15903.0) I've read great reviews about it online.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2011, 06:02:02 PM by |Doug| »
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #21 on: December 30, 2011, 09:39:07 PM »
I love my DE safety razor.  Been using it for about two years along with a badger brush on my face.  I like the Derby blades.  Not as sharp as Feather but I don't get all the nicks with Derby.  I find I get less irritation on my head shaving in shower but get a better shave with my face at the sink.  So I shave with a cartridge blade right now in the shower for my head every other day and my DE at the sink every day...except Saturdays.  I take Saturdays off from all shaving.

Offline R o b 6

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2011, 07:21:13 PM »
I love my DE safety razor.  Been using it for about two years along with a badger brush on my face.  I like the Derby blades.  Not as sharp as Feather but I don't get all the nicks with Derby.  I find I get less irritation on my head shaving in shower but get a better shave with my face at the sink.  So I shave with a cartridge blade right now in the shower for my head every other day and my DE at the sink every day...except Saturdays.  I take Saturdays off from all shaving.

If I might ask...Where do you order your Derby blades, ycartt?

Offline ycartt

• Sly
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2011, 07:27:08 PM »
Might have been West Coast Shaving. I get a lot of stuff there. Got 100 blades for around $20.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2012, 07:33:43 AM »
I joined the DE world yesterday.  Ordered a Merkur 34C on Amazon and it got broken in yesterday.  Used it quite successfully around the beard and on my neck area.  Tried it a bit on the dome and loved the result with the exception of one nick - but the shave was simple and smooth where I used it.  Wasn't quite brave enough to do the back ofmy head...

Went with the 34C since I read on Badger and Blade that it was a good starter.  Think I should hav egone wiht one with a long handle - my hands are not that big and even so the handle just feels small to hold.  So if you've got catcher's mitts without a glove on I would say go with a long handled model if you're gonna make the jump.

Face shave seemed smoother and certainly seems to be lasting longer than it haswith the fusion or the rite aid knockoff of the same.

So far I've only tried the Merkur blade that came with it, also have some BigBens and Feathers to try.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline Tater

• Learning the way of Sly
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2012, 02:43:18 PM »
I use a DE razor on face and neck.  Definitely a learning curve but I find way less irritation.  I started wet shaving because of the prices of blades.  I still use the headblade on the head though.

Offline imaginary

• Sly
« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2012, 02:46:32 PM »
With the exception of a few years, I almost exclusively used DE razors. In spite of the initial overhead costs, the blades cost less (I use Wilkinson from the dollar store,) with proper use, one can have a wonderful shave, and they look totally cool.

I practically don't shave my face anymore, but I use a gold plated Gillette New Type, which I found in an antique store. I refurbished the case, and sterilized and cleaned the razor. I love using that over these modern do-hickeys.
Once upon a time. The End.

Offline the_bald_man

• Learning the way of Sly
  • Bald, British and Loving it
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2012, 02:29:19 PM »
Hi, new to this forum so bear with me!

I was converted to DE shaving about 2 years ago and wouldn't go back to any other type of triple blade system at all.  I'm very fortunate that my office is just round the corner from one of the most famous barber's in London, George Trumpers. I use their sandlewood shave cream, with a best badger brush and Dovo blades.

I use an alum block post shave and then a good slug of moisturiser.

It did take a while to get to grips with DE shaving, but now I have mastered it, I have never found anything that shaves as close and costs as little.  I have become a shaving bore to the guys at work and have managed to even convince some to ditch their multi-blade plastic horrors for the joys of a traditional DE shave.

Matt
There's many a man who hath more hair than wit.

William Shakespeare

Offline ProphetNoir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #28 on: February 11, 2012, 07:02:38 AM »
Count me in as another member of the DE shaving faithful.  I have only been shaving my face for five years but I started because I read somewhere that DE shaving was the best way to avoid ingrown hairs and razor bumps.  After wearing a full beard for 30 years, I was tired of not really having the option to be clean shaved because of the skin issues.  

I went all in with a silvertip badger brush and an Edwin Jagger razor.  There was a learning curve for me that was probably a lot steeper than it would be for someone who is transitioning from cartridge shaving to DE shaving, but on the other hand I didn't have to 'unlearn' any habits that are counter productive to shaving with a DE.

I can see that there are several members here that use the DE to shave their heads.  I am not one the brave ones in that regard, but for my face, there is no other way to go.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 01:08:23 PM by ProphetNoir »

Offline SlyAggie

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2012, 07:15:18 PM »
I have very coarse facial hair.  I've never had a better shave than that of my double edge razor.  I have shaved my face exclusively with a double edge razor for at least 10 years.  Prior to that I'd tried many triple-blade options.  All of which provided good shaves.

However, I have sensitive skin. I've discovered that while I have to be a bit more meticulous and slow with a DE, I make fewer passes. Fewer passes, I assume, has resulted in less irritation.  As a result, the overall time spent shaving is less.

That said, using the DE also meant I was using mug soap and applying it with a natural bristle brush.  When I used the Mach 3, for instance, I used Edge gel.  I don't know why, but I never tried mug soap with the Mach 3, and conversely, I've never used anything but mug soap with the DE.  For all I know the better shave is a result of the mug soap and the brush.

In either case, I always shave in the shower with a mirror.

I've always been sentimental.  I like shaving with the same razor my grandfather used, along with the same vintage Old Spice shaving mug. I never knew my grandfather (he died prior to my birth), but he handed it down to my father who prefers the more modern razors.

(I also drink my morning coffee from a mug my late aunt used.  I remember over 35 years ago the ritual with which she drank her coffee from that mug.  Spilling about a third of the coffee into the saucer for it to cool.  She'd even set the mug back down into the saucer.  Then, she'd go flip the bacon---come back to her mug, and pour the cooled coffee from the saucer back into the mug.  While I just drink scorching hot coffee straight from the same mug, I think of her ritual every time I pour a cup.  When I pick up that razor, I often wonder about the ritual my grandfather must've gone through while using it.)

And I thought my great grandmother was the only person who did this coffee-saucer trick!  Must have been this era of ppl. Good memories!

Enter your email address: