Author Topic: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one  (Read 19575 times)

Offline nomad

• Sly Beach Bum!!
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
    • Conch Republic Bikinis
Re: Motorcycles I am thinking of getting one
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2008, 10:19:44 PM »

One more piece of advice in this long winded post.  (can you tell I take riding seriously?   ;D )  Bikes go where you look.  Your mind needs to be on riding, not on your work day, your family, or what happened in the news.  If your mind is wandering, and your eyes wander, it's not a good thing.  Learn to look ahead, where you want to be, look through curves, I constantly talk to myself while riding to keep my mind focused, especially on curvy roads. (no, I'm not a knee dragger).  Good thing is, behind a full face helmet, no one will know your crazy for talking to yourself.   O0

Pay attention to this one from VFR, no truer words have ever been spoken, especially in the urban setting.   Drivers today are doing every thing but paying attention to the road and we are much smaller objects out there than any other vehicle.  Riding take 110% concentration, constantly looking ahead and expecting something to happen so that you are prepared for it.  Watch for road surface problems, vehicles off on shoulders or side roads, etc.  I always assume the other guy is not paying attention and make sure I am.

thats exactlly why I got rid of my bike. I couldn't enjoy the ride anymore, when you get back home and your shaking like a dog crapping razorblades then it no fun anymore. but thats was just my experience in FL the old folks can't see a big truck let alone a motorcycle.

rickybobby

« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2008, 10:32:42 PM »
ha!!!! aint that the truth. i moved to florida for a few months to live w/ my parents(having prob. w/my then wife) rented a truck over the phone. went to pick it up. noticed the right hand side view mirror was seriously cracked. told the guy. he said that was the only truck he had. take it or leave it basically. being in a pinch i took it. anyone who's driven from chicago to fla. knows that they almost always gotta thru the mountains in kentucky, so i was crapping razorblades to coin a phrase( well maybe i cant coin it)thru the grace of god i made it all the way to my parents place in florida no probs.After unloading the truck i had to immediately take it back to the nearest truck rental place. as i get in the turn lane to the truck place this old broad in the big ol' caddy scrapes the the dirt off the side of the truck, never stops and keeps on going. lucky for me there was no damage just the dirt got trimmed off.....dammit!! old azz drivers!!

DAT Boy

« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2008, 09:11:23 PM »
When most folks say "metric bikes", they're usually referring to Japanese bikes, that are built with metric nuts and bolts (as opposed to the American SAE standard; like 1/4 ", 3/8", 1/2", etc).  Although European bikes, or for that matter just about all non-American bikes are on the metric standard.   :o
Metric (Japanese) bikes tend to not hold their value like H-Ds (Harley-Davidsons).  I used to think that was true for most other bikes, but just today, a guy at work was looking at a Craig's list posting on a late model BMW GT model bike, and he said that model actually went up in value in the last several months (since he sold his).  Go figure- supply and demand.  ;)

rickybobby

« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2008, 09:17:26 PM »
dat boy...what kinda bike is that in yer pic??? that kinda what i want....

DAT Boy

« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2008, 05:58:46 AM »
That, my dear friend, is a 2007 Harley Davidson Road King Classic.  It is a very fine riding machine.  I believe it is the only naked bike (no fairings) that H-D makes that includes cruise control as a standard item.  I believe the dressers (one's with fairings) have this feature.  The Road King is an awesome touring machine!  The wide tire in the front improves the handling on grooved pavement.  This particular bike idles a bit rough (something Harleys are known for; that and the "potato-potato" sound) but it smoothes out as you speed up, so the ride is very enjoyable! :)

Offline flattop peterbilt

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2008, 11:58:38 AM »
well i ride but you want something that is comfortable to you...i could name 20 30 diff. bikes....go look sit on them ..check out the controls..see if you have to move them modify in any way...there are lots of things...size of motor is not a issue...how you feel on the bike is....don't buy cause of a name buy cause you like it....i like dyna wide glides.....
Life hands you four Aces bet high...life hands you four duces...call

DAT Boy

« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2008, 10:39:12 PM »
I agree.  You need to sit on, try out, and test drive as many motorcycles as you possibly can to fully determine what you want in a bike.  You also have to figure out what you want out of the bike.  Is it for around town?  Off-road?  Both?  Touring? A single person? A passenger with you ("two up")?  Do you want a dependable bike that will last you many years (decades) that you may have to service yourself eventually?  Will the next bike be a temporary ride until you can afford a bigger bike?  Or like some folks, do you plan on having several bikes for different types of riding?  If you really like Harleys, talk to a local dealer and see about renting one or more.  Sometimes H-D dealers will let you try up to four different bikes in one day.  That may be a great way to help you figure out what you like best.  I know a local BMW motorcycle dealer who will let me test drive their bikes.  Some other dealers aren't as generous.  :( So, kick some tires and light some fires! ^-^ O0

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2008, 04:37:34 PM »
Looking at trading in my Sportster for a Softtail Deluxe this year.  Anybody heard or had first hand experience of negatives with that model?

Did you break down and sell it?

I want to know what happened with this?? I have an 07 sporty - 1200 low - and LOVE it!!!!

Ton's of mods - this bike does not look like a factory bike AT ALL... I can't imagine parting with my baby!!!

I have ridden bikes my whole life - but nothing compares to the fun I have on this bike!!!

Don't let the hype of the bigtwins make you think the grass is greener - I've been there and I won't go back!!!

Anyway - like I said, just curious to know if you sold it or kept it.

Also - anyone looking at going to the Sturgis Bike Rally this year?? I live about 20 minutes from there - and would like to make a bald poker run or day ride if anyone is interested?!?!

BB
It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

www.myspace.com/hascoline

DAT Boy

« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2008, 10:47:23 PM »
Sturgis?  ??? Rrrruuuuh?  ???  Why yes!  O0 I'm told it's a long day ride from where I'm at.   O0
In fact, just today the subject came up and my domestic goddess said "yes, if you want to go, then go."  That sounds good enough for me!   O0 O0
At least it wasn't anything like "I don't care what you do; whatever..." (kiss of death) :Xo! ;D ;D

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #39 on: May 10, 2008, 07:15:48 AM »
"I don't care what you do; whatever..." (kiss of death) :Xo! ;D ;D

Evil eyes.... the first sign that **** is gonna hit the fan!

It is better to conquer yourself than to win a thousand battles. Then the victory is yours. It cannot be taken from you, not by angels or by demons, heaven or hell.

DAT Boy

« Reply #40 on: May 10, 2008, 12:31:23 PM »
Baldbiker, that is a sweet looking bike you have there. O0 
The picture of me, is on my "1st" Harley. 
I plan to have a collection of bikes, mostly H-Ds, but also a few others, like maybe a BMW or two, and possibly a few Japanese bikes.   O0It's nice to have a selection to pick from, so I'm not limited, you know, a touring bike for touring, a dirt bike for dirt, a bar bike for bar hopping. O0 :*)) :*)) :*))

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #41 on: May 10, 2008, 02:14:13 PM »
thats exactlly why I got rid of my bike. I couldn't enjoy the ride anymore, when you get back home and your shaking like a dog crapping razorblades then it no fun anymore. but thats was just my experience in FL the old folks can't see a big truck let alone a motorcycle.

Same here, and it was always the "blue-hairs" that were trying to kill me. I got in the habit of always making eye-contact with a driver stopped at a stop sign on a cross street, that way (I told myself) I know they see me. But up here in northern WI the retirees will look a biker right in the face and pull right out in front of you. I had about 6 close calls like this in a month and just said to hell with it. I started thinking that the fact that I have legal right-of-way doesn't do me much good when some old fart has turned me into a vegetable with nothing below the neck but memories. And when I started thinking like that riding just wasn't fun any more. That was when I sold my scoot.

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

DAT Boy

« Reply #42 on: May 10, 2008, 03:56:56 PM »
I hear ya, buddha.  Many areas of the country are havens for the blue haired crowd.  `Dr!v `Dr!v I don't want to be "dead right" but I do want to enjoy my "mid-life crisis machine".  C#)P Last weekend when I was filling up a gas-station, a nice young lady struck up a conversation with me.  I quickly found out she was using a prosthetic leg because of an accident where she was a passenger on a Harley, at age 14.   :'(
I used to have more of a sport bike (and the mentality that goes with it), but I've decided to slow down a bit and develop more of a "let the other person go first" mentality.  That is why I have my reclining lounger style highway pegs.  :/O

Offline Southworth14

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #43 on: May 10, 2008, 04:27:12 PM »
Greetings Sly Guys--I have two motorcycles.  With the price of gasoline, I may make the touring bike the primary mode of transportation.  The sly dome looks great while riding too with dark shades. 

Offline baldbiker

• Sly
« Reply #44 on: May 10, 2008, 09:34:37 PM »
Baldbiker, that is a sweet looking bike you have there. O0 
The picture of me, is on my "1st" Harley. 
I plan to have a collection of bikes, mostly H-Ds, but also a few others, like maybe a BMW or two, and possibly a few Japanese bikes.   O0It's nice to have a selection to pick from, so I'm not limited, you know, a touring bike for touring, a dirt bike for dirt, a bar bike for bar hopping. O0 :*)) :*)) :*))

Hey - thanks for the compliment - I like your scoot too!

I agree - I like my bike for all it's intensive purposes, but want a electri glide for touring! Nothing like driving a couch down the road!!!

Glad to see there are a few other biker riders here with me!!!

Keep the shiny side up!

Enter your email address: