Author Topic: A question for you old timers....  (Read 1573 times)

Offline Daven

• Super Sly
A question for you old timers....
« on: July 10, 2011, 04:41:26 PM »
My dad's best friend from kindergarden has been shaving his head for about 10 years, (they are both 71)  I look at old videos and pictures from the 70's and 80's. Wow the comb-overs were in high population back then.

My question for any of you old timers (yeah I mean old guy's out there) is When did being sly get to be so popular? I went out today and couldn't believe how many sly's I saw, It's like when my wife started working at AT+T, we noticed more AT+T commercials on TV, now I notice the sly guy's and even on TV more and more not that I'm sly.

Does anyone remember when it became SO popular?  The longest I remember guy's being sly is black guy's in sports, esp. Basketball. 

By the way, still LOVING being sly.

AKA Gimpy

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
Re: A question for you old timers....
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 06:16:25 PM »
For white guys probably in the mid 90's.

Offline Laser Man

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 06:33:46 PM »
For white guys, I'm guessing the late 1990's, early 2000's.  In the 70's everyone wanted long hair, so baldness was hidden by comb overs.  The first sly guy I recall was a black man who worked at my company in the late 1970's.  He really stood out - brave soul! 

marty22

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 07:02:41 PM »
post a pic when u can. thanks

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: July 11, 2011, 12:36:56 AM »
I'm also guessing early 2000s. I also think that the tv show "The Shield" starring Michael Chiklis had a lot to do with it.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Blitzed

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2011, 08:13:12 AM »
The virtue of being old is that you've a long memory. Telly Savalas in the 70's, when long hair was "it", was SLY. I've never understood the virtue of having shoulder length fringe when bald would be better, more youthful and less obviously "old". Face it, at any age, Male Pattern Baldness is hardly suggestive of youth. Fifteen years ago when I first started shaving my head I really had no reason to, just liked the look and continue to like it. From the Velcro effect I feel several hours after I've shaved I probably still have a decent head of hair but how much? What color? Aren't questions I would bother to answer.

Enter your email address: