Head Shaving, Grooming & Care > Safety Razor Head Shaving

Want to try out a double edge safety razor

(1/1)

BillOnBass:
I've read lots of good things about DE safety razor shaving.  I'm attracted to the potential of an even closer shave and also the economy of buying tons of individual safety razors on the cheap.  Anyone have suggestions for a starter DE handle or a decent package set (razor, stand, brush, etc.)?  Thanks.

sh0nuff:
Hey bro... I use this Merkur Futur... http://www.fendrihan.com/merkur-futur-adjustable-safety-razor-satin-finish-p-62.html

It takes awhile to get used to it and tbh, I only use it for my face. The blade isn't flexible enough to be used on my noggin, and one slip and you bleed for hours :S

But for face shaving, it makes it onto quite the experience. I wake up about 15 mins earlier just so that I have time to shave. It get SOO close... and is adjustable.  Just make sure to use an all natural Badger brush and a real block of shaving lather. and go SLOW, until you get the knack and find a really good setting that works well.. With these I only have to shave about 2x a week, as it gets so close.

sailor61:
Check out www.Badgerand Blade.com for tons of info on DE shaving.  Also loads of reviews on razors and blades.

buddha:
I'm kinda in the same ballpark with sh0nuff. I have an older Merkur, probably 30 years old or more, and I think there is kind of a sharp learning curve when using them on an unforgiving surface like the dome. Face and neck are no problem because there is give to the skin in most places but the scalp is another story, at least in my experience. And if you buy bulk of some of the better blades on the market those baby's are SHARP. I didn't even know I cut myself until I saw the blood running down off my dome. For me part of the problem is that the scalp is unyielding because there is very little cushioning tissue between it and the skull so mistakes get amplified. I know that there are at least a few guys in here who use the DE on the dome but I was not able to use the DE up top because of the blood loss issue.

Seraphim:
In the short while that I've been keeping SLY, I've found that I need a few razors by my side when it comes to the dome. I rotate between a 1974 Gillette Super Speed DE, and a '65 Gillette Travel Tech. There is a learning curve, but the closeness of a DE shave can only be beaten by a straight...it's amazing. However, as has been said, the melon isn't the ideal surface for DE shaving, and so I have found that Personna twin-blade disposables are perfect for getting those hard to hit places. I am new to the whole affair, and I'm sure my routine will change and evolve, but I'm sure there will always be a DE in there somewhere. The experience of a traditional wet shave with bowl, brush, and DE razor...can't beat it. For tips on wet-shaving, I'll plug Badger and Blade as well, finest site on the net for that particular experience. Also, on Youtube...check out the user mantic59, he's a BandB legend with some of the best DE tutorials on the net.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version