Author Topic: New Here  (Read 4874 times)

Offline cholifoli

• Sly Guy in Training
New Here
« on: April 21, 2011, 04:36:12 PM »
Hey guys. I've read quite a bit on this site, and decided to join up. This is the second time in my life being bald (this is the first time by choice). I had forgotten how great it is! My only concern is redness on the back on my neck. Doesn't hurt or itch, it is weird. I am using head slick shaving cream with a fusion razor, soaking my head for at least 10 minutes in a hot shower. Anyways, any advice would be greatly appreciated. Glad to be here, and thank you in advance guys!

marty22

Re: New Here
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 04:52:54 PM »
welcome! where from?

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2011, 04:57:57 PM »
My guess is that you're working the area too hard.  Make sure it's a SHARP blade and let the razor do the work - try to minimize the pressure you're putting on it.  Origins Firefighter (available at the Origins counter in MAcy's etc) is pricey but it does work very well to calm irritated skin post shave.  

Give it a day or so to rest and then a hot shower with thorough prep and fight the urge to press on the razor. Just let it glide across.  You might want to try some Shave Secret (Walmart 3 bucks or so) under your regular headslick.  You can also try adding a few drops of glycerin to the slick before you lather it up - also walmart and about the same price.

Oh yeah = WELCOME.  Post a pic when you can, we all like to see who we're talking to.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline cholifoli

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2011, 05:23:59 PM »
I am in Phoenix. I just picked up some clean and clear acne scrub, I'll use that in the shower ;). I'll definitely take extra care to not put pressure on the blade as well. The last time I was bald it was from medical treatments, but I love being bald again. Thank you guys for the advice, I really appreciate it. I am more than happy to post a pic, but can someone tell me where to do so? Thanks guys.

Offline cholifoli

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2011, 08:51:15 PM »
Reluctantly, I shaved this evening. Very long soak in the shower, exfoliated, left the head slick on for 5 mins, and was very careful to put almost NO pressure on the blade. Not as close as I would like, but I am hoping with time my scalp will toughen up.  It seems to be doing better. I bought some bump guard as well, I applied that after the final rinse, I will post results of that in the morning. Thanks again for the advice guys, I will get a pic up asap.

Offline banmuir

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 01:18:35 AM »
Welcome. I've found that bump guard / bump control both helped me a lot with irritation and redness. I also learned to skip using it occasionally. I've also learned that "no pressure on the blade" is a really big thing (and that's why I like my HB). My biggest failing is going over troublesome places too often - then I suffer with the irritation. I do my neck with my face in the shower, followed by the rest at the sink.

Offline cholifoli

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2011, 07:22:19 AM »
Welcome. I've found that bump guard / bump control both helped me a lot with irritation and redness. I also learned to skip using it occasionally. I've also learned that "no pressure on the blade" is a really big thing (and that's why I like my HB). My biggest failing is going over troublesome places too often - then I suffer with the irritation. I do my neck with my face in the shower, followed by the rest at the sink.

Thank you. I will try it in the shower, I imagine it just takes time to figure out what works best for me. I think that the bump guard worked over night. I cannot feel any bumps, the rest of my head has not been irritated at all, just the back of the neck. I understand that it is a sensitive area, and it will toughen up with time. Thanks again guys for everything!

marty22

« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2011, 10:02:08 AM »
welcome and well-done!

Offline cholifoli

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2011, 10:39:54 AM »
welcome and well-done!

Thank you! Now all I have to do is try to stand the redness (which is getting better), and wait for my "better half" to grow accustomed to it.

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2011, 12:36:46 PM »
The back of the neck is extremely sensitive.  I find I get some redness there right after shaving but it fades in 20 minutes or so.

Offline Chromeo

• Sly
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2011, 12:14:38 AM »
Welcome!  Sounds like you're serious and doing all the right things.  Just give it some time.  O0

Offline The Noggin

• Pedestrian & Cyclist
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2011, 01:32:31 PM »
Welcome to SBG! 8)
Ach du meine Nase!

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2011, 02:10:18 PM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

Offline cholifoli

• Sly Guy in Training
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2011, 12:19:23 PM »
Thank you for the warm welcome :). I gave my head a break yesterday, but this morning I just HAD to shave. Took all of the advice and my shave was damn near perfect. No irritation, and the area that was irritated actually feels better.

Enter your email address: