Author Topic: Sweating  (Read 7570 times)

Offline AKbald7

• Learning the way of Sly
Sweating
« on: March 24, 2011, 03:15:47 PM »
So I've always had a problem with sweating, it really does get embarrassing.  I've learned to cope with this for the most part, I give myself more time to walk to class (it's like a mile+ walk),  kick the shower into cold before getting out, and whatever else I can.  I usually shave before class, and even though when I am done it is not irritated, when I work up a sweat from walking to class my scalp is irritated and burning.  Also, with not having hair anymore that sweat is all the more noticeable since none of it is absorbed by my hair. 

I don't want to cover my head up with anything, I'm quite proud of my dome, but not when I look like I just got shot at by a team of 3rd graders with super soakers.  The heat is even worse now because it hits straight on the head. 

Anyone got any tips to reduce the sweating, it'd be greatly appreciated.

I got bored one day.

Offline lordmage

• Sly
  • Mac it's the Cheesiest
Re: Sweating
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2011, 04:43:52 AM »
shave earlier close those pores nice and good. use a cream based unscented deodorant wipe off when you get to close with a good cloth a witch hazel. re apply for all long walks during that day repeat.   
“Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do." Samuel Langhorne Clemens
"Just Do it" Nike
"shave that darn head already" Lordmage :P

Offline Mikekoz13

• Sure you can rub it... all the girls want to...
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2011, 01:49:26 PM »
Sweating is your bvody's way of cooling down and is healthy for you. Trying to prevent sweating could actually cause you to be overcome by heat.

I'm a world class sweater so I understand.... but guess what????............. no big deal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Move along!
"What contemptible scoundrel stole the cork from my lunch?" W.C. Fields

Offline customdoors1

• Big Baldie
  • Sly Guy in Training
  • Pete
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2011, 05:05:07 PM »
Cold water rince and try Headlube matte or Headlube spf30. I shave before I head to the gym and sweat alot at the gym with no burning or irritation.  Good Luck
Big Baldie
😎😎😎

Offline blackbaldman19

• Sly
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 06:17:13 PM »
i LOVE when sweat comes down off of my bald head. makes me feel like i'm doin something. but when i'm in public. i keep at headblade wipe or a rag to wipe the sweat off my head.

Offline jackburnt

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2011, 09:15:25 AM »
I like to buy painter rags (big pack for cheap at Lowe's) and use them as makeshift handkerchief. They're basically tore up cotton shirts, but are great to wipe down sweat.

Aside from being sly, I'm also trying to be a gentlemen.  And if a lady needs a handkerchief, you can give her your (clean) one without breaking the bank.
I can't say what I want to
Even if I'm not serious.
--Tool

Offline Barbero Pelón

• Super Sly
  • If doesn't shine,you're not really BALD.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2019, 07:40:14 PM »
Try with wet wipes,they really helps ;)

Offline DoberDaddy

• Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2019, 12:54:04 AM »
If it's a real problem, I have this issue also, try a "sweat block". Search on Amazon for "medical antiperspirant", and try it on your forearm (always skin test new products). 

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2019, 10:07:02 PM »
I have the same problem.  I perspire profusely.  Especially from my head!!!!!!!!!!!!

Two things I have learned:

1.  NEVER use a lotion on my head.  ANYTHING that has any oil in it, (and all lotions have oil) trap moisture in the skin (that is why they call it "moisturizer").  The more moisture I trap in my skin the hotter it gets and the more it wants to perspire to cool me off.

2.  When I have really severe problems with perspiration, (high humidity, high salt content in my body, overweight, etc.) I sometimes use alum.  Alum power in your shoes will combat sweaty feet and odor.  Alum in a stick deodorant will slow down the amount of sweat you produce under your arms.  AND for many years barbers have used an alum block to finish off a shave because it closes the pores down tightly and makes those hairs goe back down int the skin.  One of the barbers I go to always uses an alum block on my head after he shaves it.  You can find alum blocks under brand names like "Razor Rock".

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2019, 10:10:18 PM »

I NEVER use a lotion on my head.  ANYTHING that has any oil in it, (and all lotions have oil) trap moisture in the skin (that is why they call it "moisturizer").  The more moisture I trap in my skin the hotter it gets and the more it wants to perspire to cool me off.

I forgot to tell you; this is why I never use an oil based sun screen on my head either.  I only use Neutrogena sheer mist spray sunscreen on my head because it:

a.  goes on dry and thus allows the skin to wick moisture through it
b.  is not oily and does not exacerbate my head perspiration like all of the other sunscreens do

Offline Semi-Sly

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2019, 10:31:49 PM »
Just to share a bit of humor with you:

"Horses Sweat"

Although I come from very common and humble stock, I was raised with some very strict, and I believe good rules, such as; "People cannot help it if they are; but there is no excuse for any lack of cleanliness", etc.

But I had one Aunt who "made good" and had quite a career for a woman of her day.  Born at the turn of the last century, she became the Secretary to one of the governors of our State and, when he was elected to national office she followed him to Washington.  Later she became Chief Clerk of the Senate Minority. (Not bad for the daughter of Irish immigrants who were brought over as cheap/indentured labor to dig by hand the Illinois to Michigan canal!).  Even though she was mostly self-educated she taught herself all of the rules of propriety/politeness/etc.  And wobetide the little boy who misbehaved in her presence!!!! 

I remember once, when I was very little, and she came home to Illinois when Congress was in recess, and we were on the farm in Coal City for a family gathering - I was running about playing in the barn, the corn crib, etc. and became quite sweaty and dirty. When dinner was announce I ran back to the farmhouse bu my Aunt caught me and took me into the indoor bathroom to spruce me up a bit.   My Aunt said to me in the polished tone and crystal-clear diction that she had developed:  "Young man, look at yourself; you cannot come in to the dining room like that!"  I replied; "But Aunt Prue, I can't help it; I just get all sweaty!" 

She then bent over and whispered to me, (so as not to embarrass me before anyone who might have been in earshot) ; "My dear; gentlemen do not "sweat".  Horses sweat.  Gentlemen "perspire".   Ladies "glisten" or are at times, "all aglow".  So, do not "sweat" anymore dear!"

My Aunt Prudence has been gone for over 30 years now and I still have this and other fond memories of how a real "lady" would comport herself.  I wish that other people would have had this glimpse into how people comported themselves back when there really was "polite society"!

Offline Glottonym

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2019, 09:19:07 AM »
I also sweat a lot as I cycle to my work place. I use a small towel and wipe it off. I just don't want to be wet on top (and it might look worse as the bald area on top of my head is practically all 'natural'). Especially with air conditioning, I also catch a cold very easily (if I did not wipe off the sweat, this is).