Author Topic: Any Suggestions??  (Read 7986 times)

Offline genxeration

• Learning the way of Sly
Any Suggestions??
« on: February 24, 2011, 07:01:46 PM »
Hello guys!  I'm new to Sly Bald Guys.  Thank you for allowing me to be part of your Forum!  I would really like to Shave but I feel extreme anxiety.  I started balding at 16 and decided to be fitted for a toupee before starting college.  Well, that's been many, many years ago now and I've been wearing this toupee for 16 years.  There are several reasons I would like to shave-- I spend $250 per month on my "hair system", messy adhesives, feel I always have a "secret" to hide, and limited activities since sweat shortens bond time.  Most of all, I think it looks pretty awsome.  I guess my issue is what will people think when I arrive at the office one Monday morning all freshly shaved???  I work at a large firm and have 10 direct reports.  I'm sure the jokes would be nonstop.  I'm just wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation?  Do you guys think I'm over reacting?  I would love to hear your opinions.

Offline sailor61

• Super Sly
  • Into my 6th year...why did I ever have hair???
Re: Any Suggestions??
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 07:33:47 PM »
The reaction will be supportive.  Most likely there will be less "ammo" for comments than there may be currently. 

Go for it. 

If you're unsure, plan to do it the night you begin a vacation period.  If for some reason you aren't happy with the new look/freedom the remaining hair will grow out to a short buzz pretty quickly and you'll be able to go back to the hairpiece.
TJ

url=http://www.TickerFactory.com/]

[/url]

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 07:58:38 PM »
Welcome.  I don't quite understand what you mean by "awesome"--but if you think people or at least many of them don't think you've got a rug, you're probably wrong.  And, when you do ditch the dead animal and clean up the remnants and become honest with the world but most importantly with yourself, my guess the reaction will be generally favorable, a few jests perhaps, but probably favorable.  And everyone you meet hereafter will never know you as a rug guy, unless you tell them you were.  In rather short order, most won't remember your "rug" days.   

Offline schro

• WORK SUCKS, I'M GOING GOLFING.
  • Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 08:12:44 PM »
Hello guys!  I'm new to Sly Bald Guys.  Thank you for allowing me to be part of your Forum!  I would really like to Shave but I feel extreme anxiety.  I started balding at 16 and decided to be fitted for a toupee before starting college.  Well, that's been many, many years ago now and I've been wearing this toupee for 16 years.  There are several reasons I would like to shave-- I spend $250 per month on my "hair system", messy adhesives, feel I always have a "secret" to hide, and limited activities since sweat shortens bond time.  Most of all, I think it looks pretty awsome.  I guess my issue is what will people think when I arrive at the office one Monday morning all freshly shaved???  I work at a large firm and have 10 direct reports.  I'm sure the jokes would be nonstop.  I'm just wondering if anyone has been through a similar situation?  Do you guys think I'm over reacting?  I would love to hear your opinions.

Monthly rug maintenance....$250 ($3k a year)  :/O

Not worrying about glue..............priceless
Not worrying about "does anyone know I wear a rug?" .......... priceless
Being able to go about your business without worrying about your rug slipping ............ priceless
Getting a headrub ............... priceless
Getting a tan on your dome ............. priceless

NEED I GO ON !?!?!?!

FRIGGIN' DO IT!

More wisdom to follow, I'm certain!

Rock on.
Schro  O:O
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:14:54 PM by schro »

Agonizing over what cannot be is an insult to what is.

Offline lonestaral

• Hair ? Naw, it must be a chick thing !
  • Sly Jr.
  • The incumbent member for the Issan region.
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2011, 01:32:01 AM »
Firstly, welcome to the forum.
 I am  sort of new on here also.

It sounds as if you have recognised that you are fighting a battle you cannot win.

Personally I never passed comment on anybody who was bald or shaved.
If someone had a wig that was fair game for comment.

Yes you will get some comment from your family and co workers to start with.
That is a natural reaction and is to be expected.
It will not last for long.

$250 a month will go a long way to changing your wardrobe to suit your new look.
There was a thread about what clothes go with a sly look.

You can go through progressively shorter buzz cuts or you can go the whole hog to start with and get rid if the lot.
The choice is yours.

If it is what you want to do, do it.
It is a case of looking the world in the eye and saying " this is me".

To be or not to be ? To put it baldly, yes!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2011, 07:57:43 AM »
Leave the rug at home for a few days. Let everyone see you without it. You can say you forgot to glue it on and a strong wind got ahold of it. Then you could potentially follow lonestaral's advice about progressively shorter cuts of the sides and back for a while and then dive into scraping the dome smooth.

Or you could just dive in. When I decided to scrape my skull I literally went from hair down to my shoulder blades one day to smooth the very next day with no forethought. It seemed that no one noticed.
One lady that I knew for a couple of years asked if I had lost weight. A detective friend of mine from my old PD came to my house for a few days and when he arrived I asked  him if he noticed anything new. He started looking around my house to see if I had remodeled or painted something. This from a trained observer!
« Last Edit: March 09, 2011, 06:19:47 AM by buddha »
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2011, 09:04:26 AM »
GO SLY...STAY SLY!!!

Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

Offline wpruitt

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
  • Sly!!
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2011, 05:08:38 PM »
Welcome
"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those who neither enjoy much nor suffer much, because they live in the gray twilight that knows not victory nor defeat." - Theodore Roosevelt

Offline xnewyawka

• Sly Bureau
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2011, 04:07:52 PM »
Welcome to SBG's forum. As you can see from the above posts, you've come to the right place.

To echo the guys'; ditch the hair hat, buzz your remaining hair down and live a free life, be honest with yourself. The freedom you feel will be unbelievable. Not to mention the savings each month.
Take half the 250 and invest it each month in a IRA. I'm sure there are plenty of other things you could do with the other half.

Just do it, and get on with life.   O0

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2011, 08:20:15 PM »
Just do it!  Trust me on this one; try it you WILL like it!  O0

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2011, 06:44:29 AM »
I don't think there's any way to do something like this in stages or half-measures.  Just take off the piece and shave your head clean.  Just appearing in public without the piece for a few days would be far more awkward.  The good news is that the anticipation is far more traumatic than the event itself, so just do it as quickly as possible without regard to the consequences (which will be overwhelmingly positive anyway). :)

Offline The Scottish Ambassador

• Scottish Ambassador to SBG!
  • Team Sly
  • Sly Bureau
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2011, 07:22:32 AM »

Monthly rug maintenance....$250 ($3k a year)  :/O

Not worrying about glue..............priceless
Not worrying about "does anyone know I wear a rug?" .......... priceless
Being able to go about your business without worrying about your rug slipping ............ priceless
Getting a headrub ............... priceless
Getting a tan on your dome ............. priceless

For everything else.....there's Mastercard!  :*))

Sorry guy's. I couldn't resist it.

Seriously tho, genxeration, ther's lots of good advice here. Follow what the guy's are saying.  O0
If you always do what you've always done, then you'll always get what you've always got!

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2011, 07:34:13 AM »
The good news is that the anticipation is far more traumatic than the event itself,

Well put.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.

Offline Noodles

• Proud Melon Member of The Sly Guy Club!
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
  • Fireman Dave
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2011, 08:11:38 AM »
Take the PLUNGE!!

DIVE INTO THE POOL of FREEDOM and STOP being a PRISONER to the RUG!!

- Cap'n Noodles -

Stick with SBG instead of the Adhesive!!

Offline Basqueman

• Sly Jr.
  • Your opinion of yourself is the one that matters
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2011, 11:24:15 PM »
Do it!  Look at all the handsome devils that have posted so far.  Thats what YOU will look like!!

Enter your email address: