Author Topic: New guy, on the fence  (Read 7725 times)

Offline mattc

• Learning the way of Sly
New guy, on the fence
« on: February 15, 2011, 06:45:40 PM »
Hey guys, I have been lurking here for awhile and finally decided to join.  Basically, I have been struggling with losing my hair for several years.  I am 34 now and have been dealing with this for about 11 years.  My hair is pretty thin now and drives me crazy.  I keep it pretty short, a #2, but have been thinking about shaving.  I tried it once about a year ago and got mixed reactions.  I really have two main concerns.  I recently left my job and decided to go to law school.  I have about a year left at this point.  I am concerned about my ability to look professional in a very traditional environment and also that potential clients will take me seriously with a shaved head.  Does anyone see this as a problem?  Also, a lesser problem, I think that I look heavier without hair.  I don't have a pic yet but does anyone else notice this?  Thanks for any help!

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
Re: New guy, on the fence
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2011, 07:18:11 PM »
Well, I'm a lawyer, don't I look professional?  And, there are many more of us SBG's at the bar, legal bar that is.  Heavier, without a picture we can't tell.  But, if you've done it before, were the "mixed reactions" from your friends or you?  You're the one that counts.  Plus, when did someone last compliment your thinning hair?  You'll get compliments, head rubs and put 11 years of thinning hair behind you.  Do the 30 day rule. 

Offline mattc

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2011, 07:58:08 PM »
Thanks Saintc.  Yes, you do look very professional.  I guess I am just woried about starting a completely new career and meeting people for the first time with a relatively new look.  As for the mixed reactions, they were from faimily and friends as well as some from me.  I liked it but was probably over sensitive to comments and decided to grow it back.  You're probably right though as for the 30 day rule.  This is probably the ideal time to try it out while I am still in the academic world.  Thanks again for the advice!

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2011, 09:59:44 PM »

I guess I am just woried about starting a completely new career and meeting people for the first time with a relatively new look. 

It's actually a lot easier than getting people to adjust to a new look when they're used to seeing you a certain way.  People you've never met before won't have any preconceived notions about what you're "supposed" to look like and won't give it a second thought.

Offline ozzie

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2011, 11:11:16 PM »
Welcome to the forum, Matt. I'm sure you'll look totally professional, just like the countless other sly professionals that exude the confidence any client is looking for. Go get 'em!  O0
To conquer fear is the beginning of wisdom – Bertrand Russell

Offline Morthen

• Super Sly
« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2011, 01:57:07 AM »
Hey guys, I have been lurking here for awhile and finally decided to join.  Basically, I have been struggling with losing my hair for several years.  I am 34 now and have been dealing with this for about 11 years.  My hair is pretty thin now and drives me crazy.  I keep it pretty short, a #2, but have been thinking about shaving.  I tried it once about a year ago and got mixed reactions.  I really have two main concerns.  I recently left my job and decided to go to law school.  I have about a year left at this point.  I am concerned about my ability to look professional in a very traditional environment and also that potential clients will take me seriously with a shaved head.  Does anyone see this as a problem?  Also, a lesser problem, I think that I look heavier without hair.  I don't have a pic yet but does anyone else notice this?  Thanks for any help!
I'm almost 21, and in july I will have been sly for a year. Clean sly cut looks perfectly professional, you will get mixed reactions initially but as time goes by people comment less and less on it and see YOU instead of your hair (or lack there of)
Bryce
Sly since May 16th, 2010

http://l33t.razerzone.com/index.php?user_dtl=a93edc2f9430bed4c6b2382425c327c0

Offline tomgallagher

• Ad Free VIP
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2011, 07:05:15 AM »
Welcome.

Offline Hezabaldpiper

• Sly Jr.
  • Me and my boy
« Reply #7 on: February 16, 2011, 08:58:29 AM »
Welcome! Ya know the first time I went sly it was liberating, people asked "where did your hair go?" and I responded with "I'd rather be Mr. Clean then Fryer Tuck."
That stuck because its true, I was going bald anyway and being sly means you dont have to hide behind a hair style. Not only that it is really comfortable.
What you should do is go Sly throw your shoulders keep your head high and forget about what everyone else thinks.
Weve all been there at one time man  O0
I'd rather be Mr. Clean than Fryer Tuck

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2011, 10:07:17 AM »
meeting people for the first time with a relatively new look.   This is probably the ideal time to try it out while I am still in the academic world.  Thanks again for the advice!

Once you've shaved the remnants away, the people you meet will never know you as balding.  Yes it's a new look, but it's far better than looking aged and tired with advancing mpb.  You're getting into law late and you're going to need all you can muster to present a youthful sharp image--and frankly that's Sly, not balding.  Think about it, do you think bald thinning hair gives a confident appearance?  Of course not.  It's the ideal time, and the weekend is closing in.  Why not now?

Troy

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2011, 12:05:27 PM »
Tagging on to what the others have already said, it might be easier for you to do it now before you know the people you'll be associating with later.  It took me awhile to go from a #2 buzz to a #1 buzz, and even then I knew I had so little hair left it wouldn't be too big of a difference to just shave it all off.  Yet doing the deed was a pretty major step but now almost a year later, I realize what a huge difference it made mentally to put all that stuff behind me.  After you've gotten used to it and start feeling confident about how sharp you look, I think the worries about professionalism will subside.  Good luck, man!

Offline Arnie

• 2011 Sly Bald Guys Fantasy Football Champion
  • Sly Bureau
  • Surrender to your cause, never your circumstances.
    • http://www.frankboucherchevrolet.com
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2011, 05:06:30 PM »
Welcome to SBGs!!! 8)

Offline Nonick

• Team Sly
  • Ultimate Sly Guy
« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2011, 08:23:08 PM »
Mattc, welcome to the forum, and thanks for bringing up this question about new groups and the professional look.  I'm going back to school soon, and was thinking some of the same thoughst; and I'm glad you brought it up!  O0

Offline mattc

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2011, 12:39:19 PM »
OK, I have posted a pic.  Thank you everyone for your comments.  Everyone here seems to be really positive.  It is nice to see that others have had some of the same concerns as me in the past.   Also, here is a pic from last year when I did actually shave it all the way down. 

Offline D.A.L.U.I.

• Team Sly
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #13 on: February 18, 2011, 02:15:30 PM »
Thanks, that picture and your avatar show one thing very clearly--sly looks younger & more alert.  It's time, why look tired and worn down?

Offline -Doug-

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Bureau
  • Be yourself. Everyone else is already taken.
    • Gabe's Shirt Goes To..
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2011, 02:55:01 PM »
Thanks, that picture and your avatar show one thing very clearly--sly looks younger & more alert.  It's time, why look tired and worn down?

I'm with Saintc on this one. The bald look suits you well. O0
Life has three aspects: Paradox, Humor, and Change.

Paradox: Life is a mystery; don't waste time figuring it out.
Humor: Keep a sense of humor, especially about yourself. It is a strength beyond all measure
Change: Know that nothing stays the same.

Enter your email address: