Author Topic: wahl balding clipper help  (Read 45297 times)

Offline joshclem

• Learning the way of Sly
wahl balding clipper help
« on: February 10, 2011, 03:00:01 AM »
Hi there can anyone tell me the length they leave?

i dont want to be shiny bald i still want decent stubble :(

pics / advice plz

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
Re: wahl balding clipper help
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
Depending on the setting, they cut from 1/16" to 3/16".  You will look very bald but your head will feel sandpapery.  If your hair is dark, it might be enough stubble to suit you.  If you cut your hair this short, it's hard to keep a consistent look since a day or two of growth makes a huge difference.  If you use them once a week, you should be at almost 1/8" (or a #1 buzzcut) by week's end. 

I experimented with the Wahl Balding Clippers for a very brief time, thinking it would save me the bother of shaving every day.  I quickly came to the conclusion that daily shaving is easier.  It also feels a lot better.  :)

Offline joshclem

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2011, 07:05:09 AM »
i have light brown hair, but i shave my head at the moment with no guard on a clipper to 0.8mm

would you estimate that the wahl balding clipper will be massively different like 0.4?!

im 18, im too young to be tooootally bald :)

lol

Offline Razor X

• Sly Moderator
  • Sly Nobility
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2011, 03:16:34 PM »
i have light brown hair, but i shave my head at the moment with no guard on a clipper to 0.8mm

would you estimate that the wahl balding clipper will be massively different like 0.4?!

im 18, im too young to be tooootally bald :)

lol

If you use these clippers, you will look totally bald.  There will be some sandpapery stubble that won't be visible except at very close range.  The idea is to cut the hair as close to the skin as possible, without actually shaving with a blade.

And BTW, 18 is not too young to be "tooootally bald".   ;)

Shave your head completely with a blade.  What grows back in 1-2 days is pretty much what the Wahl Balding Clippers will give you.  You might want to give that a try before investing the money in them.  It might sound a little drastic, but if you're willing to go that short, going a little shorter or even all the way is no big deal.  It only takes a couple of days to grow out.

Offline Harleyman

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2011, 04:13:07 PM »
try going with a 000 size cut,cut real close but with stuble.
<a href="http://www.imagechef.com/" target="_blank"> [img width= height= alt=ImageChef.com - Get codes for Facebook, Hi5, MySpace and more]http://cdn-img1.imagechef.com/w/140224/sampf09f1299b683a4f3.jpg[/img] [/url]

Offline Bootleg

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2011, 12:20:14 PM »
I use that clipper about twice a week. I have found that you cant use it with no guard as the teeth catch my skin and cause a lot of blood. I have darker hair, and the first guard leaves just enough of a shadow for me. I have pale skin so any shorter and I get the cancer patient looks. (You know, because I have eyebrows and really hairy arms.) The only thing I do not like about it is that the plastic guards warp and you have to hold them on with you thumb.

Offline Jimlog

• Sly Jr.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2011, 01:22:48 AM »
Not sure if they are different in Australia, but I thought the Wahl Balding clippers cut down to 1/100th" or 000000.... But they do leave you looking pretty bald, but also with that horrible sandpaper feel. Scrape it down with a razor I say!

Offline baldyrunner

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2011, 03:44:02 PM »
I went from normal clippers to baldfader and then balding. Baldfader were like velcro (couple of days growth from bald). Balding clippers leave your hair feeling bald when you rub your head with the grain but you feel it when you rub your head against the grain (probably a days growth from bald). I now use panasonic pro-curve wet/dry shaver or Gillette Fusion.

I would say if you are too young to go completely bald then a pair of normal clippers would be more suitable and cheaper. Balding clippers are if you want to look bald which doesn't sound like what you're looking for.

Offline Razorhead

• Super Sly
  • Shave off that mess!
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2011, 04:53:31 PM »
If you don't want to be 'shiney bald' then the bald fader is the way to go. It give the apearance of a shaved head with a sand paper feel. I've used them. Like Razor X i thought i could shave my head faster using them, but I also learned that using a razor is the quickest way to shave. Using a regular razor is also less messy.

You do need to be carefuly using the clippers if you are not carefuly you can cut yourself and the teeth can dig into the skin pretty easily. If you do use them, don't press hard go lightly.

It all depends on what look you want.

Offline baldmale

• Bald Male Role Model
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2011, 02:00:13 PM »
I just like to use the blending guide (I have an Oster Fast Feed).  It's about 1/4".

marty22

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2011, 04:14:57 PM »
it looks fine and welcome.

Enter your email address: