Author Topic: Sunscreen  (Read 2483 times)

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
Sunscreen
« on: January 07, 2011, 01:20:45 PM »
Just bought a bottle of Banana Boat Quick Dri Sport Body and Scalp SPF 30 spray sunscreen.  Is this a good choice for preventing sun damage to my bald head?  It sure make the head shine.

Offline jamesh75

• Sly
Re: Sunscreen
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2011, 01:49:27 PM »
I use a Banana Boat cream that is made for your face, and believe it's SPF 30.  It works really well for me, and doesn't make my head greasy.  I don't particularly care for the sprays because I don't feel like it covers as well.  But I think thats just personal opinion.  I think as long as your using something with at least SPF30, you should be okay.

Offline jimbo48

• Sly
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2011, 03:07:21 PM »
Thanks for the reply, James.  I did not care for the spray, but it is winter, and the only sunscreen the store had was the spray.  Instead of spraying it on my head, I spray a puddle in the palm of my hand and then rub it onto my head.  When the spray is used up, I'll look for the lotion.

Offline Rev. Cleanhead

• Sly Guy in Training
  • Rob
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2011, 07:47:58 PM »
I don't particularly care for the sprays because I don't feel like it covers as well. 

Totally agree.  I umpire college baseball all spring and ride a motorcycle every chance I get in the summer.  In my experience in the sun, I find it's almost always more effective to apply a lotion-type sun block with the helpful view of the bathroom mirror to ensure complete coverage, touching up here and there throughout the day.  I've tried using the spray stuff and I always end up missing spots (looks ridiculous to have red blobs or streaks of sunburn on your dome).  I use the sprays for my arms, shoulders, etc., because it's super quick to apply (and reapply), but when it comes to the dome I think it's just better to take your time and prep carefully and thoroughly. 

Also, remember that sunblock is most effective if applied inside and at least a half hour before going out in the sun -- let that stuff soak in before going out.  Skin cancer is a serious issue for us sly guys.   O0
You can't part the skin of a sausage,
Or a dad from his fond son and heir.
And you can't part the hair on a bald-headed man,
For there'll be no parting there.  ~Billy Bennett

Offline buddha

• Sly Bureau
  • Cut myself shaving!
« Reply #4 on: January 13, 2011, 08:16:47 AM »
Be aware of what's contained in the sunscreen. If you see the ingredient "oxybenzone" in the list of ingredients you may want to move on to something else. This is one of a number of substances referred to as "synthetic estrogen" commonly used in big market sunscreens. I guess the jury is out as far as a final verdict as to what these substances do to the male body but some of the speculation is that they actually encourage the formation of carcinoma/melanoma type growth in the skin and lower sperm counts in men who use them.
A lot of info on the net about this stuff, also other choices in sunscreen that don't contain it.
"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it never really care for anything else thereafter."
Ernest Hemingway, On The Blue Water.